ADVERTISEMENT

WSJ takes a shot at us

CatQ

Aug 27, 2008
Win or lose, I don't care for people writing about us like this.

"Since the start of the 2008 season, the Wolverines have a 46-42 record. Put another way: Over the past seven years, college football's all-time winningest team has been bested by Northwestern."

This post was edited on 3/13 11:58 AM by CatQ

Unnecessary Cheap Shot

Yes, and that's after blowing a couple of games to their suck teams that we should have won. They've not only been bested by Northwestern, but by most of the league.

Wow, big surprise that the WSJ produces an uninformed, anachronistic cheap shot. Most people these days recognize NU football for what it is: usually competitive, middle-of-the-road major conference team that will every once in a while have a really good season. This view is not prevalent amongst any but the fogies who have been sportswriters for 40 years.

Originally posted by CatQ:
Win or lose, I don't care for people writing about us like this.

"Since the start of the 2008 season, the Wolverines have a 46-42 record. Put another way: Over the past seven years, college football's all-time winningest team has been bested by Northwestern."

This post was edited on 3/13 11:58 AM by CatQ
I'm going to be a contrarian here and say that I think it wasn't necessarily a shot against Northwestern. It IS shocking that NU has a better record than Michigan during that time. They have numerous advantages that we could only hope for, and normally that sentence would be "Over the past seven years, college football's all-time winningest team has been bested by perennial Big Ten doormat Northwestern."

Originally posted by thewildcat2011:
The majority of media still thinks of us that way, which unfortunate given how many journalists we graduate.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Shall we take a closer look at our W-L record vs. Michigan since 2008? We've still found impressive ways to lose to bad Michigan teams. The knock is perhaps unwarranted, but not totally undeserved.

Oh, I think plenty of the knocks against us based on history are deserved. We own one of the most impressive records of futility in revenue sports that anyone could ever imagine. We had been so bad, for so long, that it's doubtful that another team will ever match.

But I don't think that's who we are anymore. Even in down years, like the past two, we have not been bottom of the barrel and have gotten our fair share of nice wins. Also, we consider a 5-7 season a complete disappointment as a fanbase, instead of an accomplishment.

While I don't really care about this article because it was written by a Michigan fanboy who has spent his entire career writing only about Michigan and slobbing the knob of the administration, we have alums that do this as well.

I've seen NU alum writers trip over themselves in anticipation of getting a shot out at the purple. Personally, I think any writer we graduate has at least a little bit of responsibility not to trash us or take potshots, but I could be in the minority.

Written by Medill prof John U Bacon of all people...not cool JUB, not cool.

mad0025.r191677.gif

Originally posted by thewildcat2011:
Oh, I think plenty of the knocks against us based on history are deserved. We own one of the most impressive records of futility in revenue sports that anyone could ever imagine. We had been so bad, for so long, that it's doubtful that another team will ever match.

But I don't think that's who we are anymore. Even in down years, like the past two, we have not been bottom of the barrel and have gotten our fair share of nice wins. Also, we consider a 5-7 season a complete disappointment as a fanbase, instead of an accomplishment.
Yes and
everyone knows, we are the smallest school, we have the toughest admissions standards, we are the only private school, we have the smallest alumni fan base. These are all ligit reasons for being ashamed not to best us and none of them are shameful reasons for us. Let's face it there are some obstacles playing B1G football at NU

Originally posted by CoralSpringsCat:
Written by Medill prof John U Bacon of all people...not cool JUB, not cool.

mad0025.r191677.gif
You picked up on it. Being a Medill professor, he's no doubt familiar with some of the success we've had.

villox,

I'm with you. Why people get hyped-up over this crap is beyond me. Some people need a fun hobby. I went fishing today and it was great!

they have put over $300 million into stadium renovations over the

last 4 years.

we have waited 4 years to have a permit filing announced.

perceptions are often reality.

Originally posted by pawildcat:
Yes, and that's after blowing a couple of games to their suck teams that we should have won. They've not only been bested by Northwestern, but by most of the league.
Not a couple, but three. Three straight. 2012-2014. Those three games, plus the Nebraska hail mary loss, are going to stick with me for a long time. Yes, Michigan's been mediocre (at best) over the last several years, but that article should say "been bested by Northwestern four times since 2008". Then it would mean something. The fact that we only actually beat them once during that time period is what's most damning about the whole thing....

The Notre Dame win exorcised at least the Nebraska loss - and maybe even the Michigan game last year. Look at how Fortune smiled upon the Wildcats in South Bend:

Untested kicker thrice nailing it beyond his career best;

Kelly's boneheaded 2-point conversion attempt;

Van Hoose's block and return of an xp (3 point play);

The ND fumble on what should have been the penultimate play;

And much, much more!

I would say winning that game was even more improbable than the combined losing on a hail mary pass, failing to convert a two point play, and dropping all those game ending interceptions.

"WSJ takes a shot at us" or we are making progress. The glass is half full as we take down "Blue" one way or another.

and, Go Cats !!

No doubt we were lucky that game. On the other hand, we dropped about three sure TD balls the first half, so Notre Dame really shouldn't have had the 11-point lead over us in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT