ADVERTISEMENT

WTF, Penn State

GI Cat

Aug 31, 2005
... already has 6 highly recruited players for 2018. Don't like Franklin but gotta say he is a good recruiter. Hope we get some studs soon.

The Penn State wrestling team did that a few years ago and what about five national titles in a row
Wrassler,
How do you draw this parallel?
The Penn State wrestling team also has Cael Sanderson as head coach.
Not only considered one of the best wrestling coaches in the world, but an undefeated, four time NCAA champion and Olympic Gold medalist.
This translates to having to do what with the football team?

... already has 6 highly recruited players for 2018. Don't like Franklin but gotta say he is a good recruiter. Hope we get some studs soon.
I have to say that as much as I do not like Franklin, he has done a good job. I never thought he was as good a coach as a recruiter, but this year he seems to have proven me wrong. Still, there is something that just seems "slippery" about the guy - insincere might be a more appropriate term. I am probably being unfair, because I only see him on TV. However, frequently my observations of this type are shown to have merit. I'll take someone like Ferentz over Franklin any day of the week. Even Harbaugh seems to be a stand up guy - what you see is who he really is, even if a little bit unusual and very self-serving.

I have to say that as much as I do not like Franklin, he has done a good job. I never thought he was as good a coach as a recruiter, but this year he seems to have proven me wrong. Still, there is something that just seems "slippery" about the guy - insincere might be a more appropriate term. I am probably being unfair, because I only see him on TV. However, frequently my observations of this type are shown to have merit. I'll take someone like Ferentz over Franklin any day of the week. Even Harbaugh seems to be a stand up guy - what you see is who he really is, even if a little bit unusual and very self-serving.

Harbaugh seems to have tossed a few players to the curb in the past. Don't know if I'd consider him a "stand-up" guy. As for Franklin, I don't think he's the greatest game coach in the world, but a head coach really is a much football executive as game coach, and Franklin has shown a talent for spotting good coaching talent. His OC and o-line coach hires this year certainly boosted Penn State this season. And he does seem able to recruit.

Everything really went in PSU's favor this year, and while they still deserve credit and do return a lot of players next year, we'll see how things go with a tougher schedule.

Someone is missing the boat in not hiring Moorehead for head job. Temple would be smart to make a run at him.
Wondering what is happening regarding the 'hot" coach, mentioned over and over again on these boards. Maybe he just likes Kalamazoo or at least the woman from there a bit to much.

Everything really went in PSU's favor this year, and while they still deserve credit and do return a lot of players next year, we'll see how things go with a tougher schedule.

They played three top 10 teams in the B1G and a No. 23 in Pitt this year. How much tougher do you think their schedule will get? They'll have 18 starters returning next year and probably will be better than this year.

Truth be told, Franklin makes an effort re academics, which is better than most in the B1G, (excepting NU). He benched a star LB for the tOSU game for cutting classes, and most of the players seem to be on track to graduate. Looking forward to the game in Evanston Oct 7....

Truth be told, Franklin makes an effort re academics, which is better than most in the B1G, (excepting NU). He benched a star LB for the tOSU game for cutting classes, and most of the players seem to be on track to graduate. Looking forward to the game in Evanston Oct 7....

I'm not as impressed when it comes to Franklin and academics. Here's an article that adds a little perspective. Also notice how Franklin spins a criticism of his stewardship of the team into a positive. His comments make no sense but the media here in Pennsylvania as usual gave him a pass. http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ttany-lions-coaches-compliance-staff-positive

I'm not as impressed when it comes to Franklin and academics. Here's an article that adds a little perspective. Also notice how Franklin spins a criticism of his stewardship of the team into a positive. His comments make no sense but the media here in Pennsylvania as usual gave him a pass. http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ttany-lions-coaches-compliance-staff-positive

Maybe the media in your area. The media in central Pa. had been all over him for the past year until he started winning, and there were "Fire Franklin" threads all over the websites.

Maybe the media in your area. The media in central Pa. had been all over him for the past year until he started winning, and there were "Fire Franklin" threads all over the websites.
I agree he was on the hot seat earlier in the season. However it was all about wins and losses (particularly losing to Pitt). Had nothing to do with the "tension" between Franklin and the compliance people.

Franklin was beatable at Vandy. Franklin is beatable at PSU. I hope we win big again next season. I see him like the coaches at NDame. They get a lot of highly ranked players. They win big one year. Then the next, they aren't worth more than the stuff flushed down the toilet bowl.

Harbaugh seems to have tossed a few players to the curb in the past. Don't know if I'd consider him a "stand-up" guy. As for Franklin, I don't think he's the greatest game coach in the world, but a head coach really is a much football executive as game coach, and Franklin has shown a talent for spotting good coaching talent. His OC and o-line coach hires this year certainly boosted Penn State this season. And he does seem able to recruit.
It's more important to be loyal to assistant coaches than to find better ones

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT