ADVERTISEMENT

Youth football and tackling

Have been a youth coach for three years.

We have limited drills like the Oklahoma drill and all tackling is heads up. Even so far as to stop a game to correct a kid using his helmet. Zero concussions league wide for three years. Over time it will make a difference.

Reactions: Ubermorgen
Re: Have been a youth coach for three years.

Excellent. Those are the types of actions we need to take all the way through high school and beyond in order to save football as a sport.

Many studies suggest that subconcussive head hits are not good for long term brain health so I think that focusing just on # of concussions is missing the point. I think football as we know it has no more than 10 years left.

Originally posted by julescat:
Many studies suggest that subconcussive head hits are not good for long term brain health so I think that focusing just on # of concussions is missing the point. I think football as we know it has no more than 10 years left.
Sadly, I agree with you, though I think it will be >20+ years before football is de-emphasized as a sport. The worst collisions, like taking a knee to the head, or whiplash upon contact with the ground, can't be easily prevented. The subconcussive head blows will be a major problem for the sport if research shows that they are broadly conducive to brain damage.

That will be a sad day...but I think football clubs will emerge to carry on the greatest of games if colleges are unwilling to foot the risk.

In my view any tackle football before high school should not exist. The neck and head are much to delicate at younger ages.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT