ADVERTISEMENT

Rapolas Ivanauskas commits!

Am I correct in assuming you are a long time season ticket holder in basketball and attend the majority of the games or more.

If I understand where I think you are going, then you want to rank fans and their value. Curious, because the ones that don't go but watch on TV contribute to the big fat check NU gets from BTN. In fact, I wonder what is bigger - revenue from ticket sales or from BTN.

Anywho, I don't live near NU - to make home games on weekdays, I would have to skip work. My weekends - well, I have gone to games when they were competitive. In fact, I have traveled and watch the Cats at other arenas. Have you? I'm not talking important Bowl games or the Dance, have you gone to see the MBB on the road? Lara and I have. Satisfied?

I'm not owed anything. Any maybe NU fans are more like Cub fans than Sox fans. Sox park will be even emptier this year due largely to the failure to grab Machado because they were cheap.

Reading the Board, sounds like our home MBB already are not very purple attended. Not sure what you do for a living, but I think a pissing contest with potential fans is not the answer. Especially when you spend millions advertising Chicago's Big Ten team.

No, if I was the PR department - I would get CCC out there. Any PR is good PR. Let him do some explaining about the state of the program. Then he can tout everything in the pipeline. Settle the existing anxious fans and promote the future of the program. Hell, I would book him on every sports radio show and sports TV show that would take him. Turn the negative PR into something better.

But I'm not a PR guy. Just a fan that would not be renewing if I had STs and will not be going out of my way to attend games for now. Say great! But on the premium board, there is much concern too. So if it exists here, there - wonder what the casual or potential fan out there thinks? Maybe I'm the only Bob. Doubt it.

Anyone know what the points mean? Under the number of posts and like in your stats. I wonder if they are related to the number of people ignoring you...

I suppose the point is the most recent banter around here touting all these young guys that have not proven a thing is identical to the banter for Benson and RI. They are all game changers. Until they aren't. Then they never belonged and we are better off without them.

The program has some problems. With some luck, maybe one of the young guys pans out really well. But currently, we have guys bailing out quickly. We have a shrinking roster. And next year looks like a disaster at this point.

It would be great if CCC sat down with Teddy or Lou and finally gave some information. Why? Because they want our support, they want our money, they want our attendance. And how hard is it to give hour for an interview and answer some tough questions without coach speak?
So what? Every fan base everywhere gets excited about the potential of new guys. Why do you think signing day is like a college sports holiday. Why do you think the NFL draft is such a hyped event? We all do it.

Three guys who weren't hacking it at the BIG10 level and knew they weren't going to be counted on as key pieces in a rebuilding year decided to move on. Selfishly, we may have found some use for them, but this may not have been in their best interest. In this age of all gratification, all the time, they decided to move on. So now we turn our eyes to the next wave of Wildcats. Not sure what there is to argue over - yet alone for days over multiple threads.

Reactions: hdhntr1
If I understand where I think you are going, then you want to rank fans and their value. Curious, because the ones that don't go but watch on TV contribute to the big fat check NU gets from BTN. In fact, I wonder what is bigger - revenue from ticket sales or from BTN.

Anywho, I don't live near NU - to make home games on weekdays, I would have to skip work. My weekends - well, I have gone to games when they were competitive. In fact, I have traveled and watch the Cats at other arenas. Have you? I'm not talking important Bowl games or the Dance, have you gone to see the MBB on the road? Lara and I have. Satisfied?

I'm not owed anything. Any maybe NU fans are more like Cub fans than Sox fans. Sox park will be even emptier this year due largely to the failure to grab Machado because they were cheap.

Reading the Board, sounds like our home MBB already are not very purple attended. Not sure what you do for a living, but I think a pissing contest with potential fans is not the answer. Especially when you spend millions advertising Chicago's Big Ten team.

No, if I was the PR department - I would get CCC out there. Any PR is good PR. Let him do some explaining about the state of the program. Then he can tout everything in the pipeline. Settle the existing anxious fans and promote the future of the program. Hell, I would book him on every sports radio show and sports TV show that would take him. Turn the negative PR into something better.

But I'm not a PR guy. Just a fan that would not be renewing if I had STs and will not be going out of my way to attend games for now. Say great! But on the premium board, there is much concern too. So if it exists here, there - wonder what the casual or potential fan out there thinks? Maybe I'm the only Bob. Doubt it.
CCC is not even into the second cycle. Every successful NU HC in FB and basketball has a dead spot at about this point. I want to see what CCC does from here. While some of the fault is CCC, likely most is not.

You cannot pay what you don't have and the Sox do not have the revenue streams to justify Marchado. Plus look at how all those huge money contracts have gone over the years. At least 75-90% end up as disasters. Remember Sorriano or the guy TX acquired only to do whatever they could to move him to the Yankees? How about the guy from St Louis who went out West

Thanks for your lengthy answer to my short question. Stick with the Sox.

I suppose the point is the most recent banter around here touting all these young guys that have not proven a thing is identical to the banter for Benson and RI. They are all game changers. Until they aren't. Then they never belonged and we are better off without them.

The program has some problems. With some luck, maybe one of the young guys pans out really well. But currently, we have guys bailing out quickly. We have a shrinking roster. And next year looks like a disaster at this point.

It would be great if CCC sat down with Teddy or Lou and finally gave some information. Why? Because they want our support, they want our money, they want our attendance. And how hard is it to give hour for an interview and answer some tough questions without coach speak?
No one said we were better off without them. Going forward we might be but that depends on who comes in

So what? Every fan base everywhere gets excited about the potential of new guys. Why do you think signing day is like a college sports holiday. Why do you think the NFL draft is such a hyped event? We all do it.

Three guys who weren't hacking it at the BIG10 level and knew they weren't going to be counted on as key pieces in a rebuilding year decided to move on. Selfishly, we may have found some use for them, but this may not have been in their best interest. In this age of all gratification, all the time, they decided to move on. So now we turn our eyes to the next wave of Wildcats. Not sure what there is to argue over - yet alone for days over multiple threads.

Takes at least two to argue. Just sayin.

CCC is not even into the second cycle. Every successful NU HC in FB and basketball has a dead spot at about this point. I want to see what CCC does from here. While some of the fault is CCC, likely most is not.

You cannot pay what you don't have and the Sox do not have the revenue streams to justify Marchado. Plus look at how all those huge money contracts have gone over the years. At least 75-90% end up as disasters. Remember Sorriano or the guy TX acquired only to do whatever they could to move him to the Yankees? How about the guy from St Louis who went out West

All those successful NU HCs? Didn’t realize it was big enough to be a club or draw meaningful statistics.

I think the Machado contract was worth it. They better have money. No real payroll. Tv contract alone pays well.

All those successful NU HCs? Didn’t realize it was big enough to be a club or draw meaningful statistics.

I think the Machado contract was worth it. They better have money. No real payroll. Tv contract alone pays well.
I cannot think of too many of those huge FA contracts that have worked out well.

Going to away games does not help NU like home attendance as NU does not get revenue

Going to away games does not help NU like home attendance as NU does not get revenue

Who said it did? I think someone was questioning my fandom. Suggesting season ticket hold is better fan. I pointed out the BTN revenue probably exceeds ticket revenue. And as for going to games, I do.

You really couldn’t figure this out? Or is more of the modern #fakenews throw a spin on it?

the kid left NU. the kid had no production. then the kid left the game and for some dumb reason didn't have extra contacts.

much like carmody - time to move on

Haywood, you know how this board moves on. They compare present disappointing seasons with the disappointing seasons of previous coaches, then long for players who have moved on to a mid-major and speculate on how NU may have been a little less disappointing had they stayed. o_O

check out my post on the other thread. my last line quoted above still holds true

That's fine, but he didn't miss the game because he didn't bring contacts. He got an infection the morning of the game. I'd feel for any kid, regardless of NU ties, who has to miss NCAA Tournament games due to injury or illness. When it's for a team that faces extreme odds to make it like Colgate, that stinks even more.

That's fine, but he didn't miss the game because he didn't bring contacts. He got an infection the morning of the game. I'd feel for any kid, regardless of NU ties, who has to miss NCAA Tournament games due to injury or illness. When it's for a team that faces extreme odds to make it like Colgate, that stinks even more.

got it - i was going off what was reported during the game (you know how those media people can be...) . i still think the kid was a non-factor at NU and should be regarded as so regardless of past history

there is no point to continually discussing him (which was the whole point of this thread) when comparing other possible player additions when he chose to leave and both sides are happy with the decision

The jsut spent $43 mill on the guy they got from the Cubs. Also spend a lot on the guy from Cuba and there are other places they spend the money as well. But the idea is to field a team that can win which means balancing out the resources, THat is not accomplished by one HUGE FA contract. TX saw it happen when they acquired A rod. It destroyed the rest of the team. They finally got rid of him to the Yankees still paying the majority of his contract just to get the flexibility to rebuild the team. When the CUBs got Soriano, he delayed their ascension till again they got rid of him. You could probably come up with some other examples but those are the first two that come to mind

Fun thread. Just re-read. Lots of thoughts about RI, Benson and CCC recruiting. Your welcome ;)

giphy.gif

Reactions: haywood jahblowme

Since next year looks like a disaster, surely you will take me up on my wager, correct? Sounds like easy money from your perspective if you truly believe your words instead of just trolling...

Since next year looks like a disaster, surely you will take me up on my wager, correct? Sounds like easy money from your perspective if you truly believe your words instead of just trolling...

If you truly believe next year is a seven win team, you would back it up. Truth is, you think the best case scenario is seven. Probably five. So that’s where you will bet.

I said disaster and three consecutive losing seasons coming out of first dance is a disaster. Whether four, six, two wins - I expected much better by now

I expected to run out;
Lathon, Kopp, RI, Nance and Benson next year as the highest rated recruits ever to share our floor - and no true frosh. Depth of plenty. And another competitive year in the BTT.

Instead, Greer or true frosh, Turner, Kopp, Nance or true frosh and either Nance or Young with no real depth is a disaster.

So, if you say it’s a seven win team, talk now.

If you truly believe next year is a seven win team, you would back it up. Truth is, you think the best case scenario is seven. Probably five. So that’s where you will bet.

I said disaster and three consecutive losing seasons coming out of first dance is a disaster. Whether four, six, two wins - I expected much better by now

I expected to run out;
Lathon, Kopp, RI, Nance and Benson next year as the highest rated recruits ever to share our floor - and no true frosh. Depth of plenty. And another competitive year in the BTT.

Instead, Greer or true frosh, Turner, Kopp, Nance or true frosh and either Nance or Young with no real depth is a disaster.

Have you seen the schedule for next year? How about Chicago St., Miss. Valley St., Wheaton College and DePaul. Undefeated!

I expected to run out;

I'll take that as a "No". Thought it would have been an easy wager for you given your lack of confidence in next year's team; makes no sense to me that if you lack confidence in them, you'll think that they will win MORE BIG games than this year's team! No Pardon, No Law, all the other stuff you mentioned in your voluminous posts on the subject here, thought it would have been a slam-dunk for you to accept. But hey, I'll just maintain my undefeated record in wagers on this board; no skin off my apple!

The jsut spent $43 mill on the guy they got from the Cubs. Also spend a lot on the guy from Cuba and there are other places they spend the money as well. But the idea is to field a team that can win which means balancing out the resources, THat is not accomplished by one HUGE FA contract. TX saw it happen when they acquired A rod. It destroyed the rest of the team. They finally got rid of him to the Yankees still paying the majority of his contract just to get the flexibility to rebuild the team. When the CUBs got Soriano, he delayed their ascension till again they got rid of him. You could probably come up with some other examples but those are the first two that come to mind

The Sox have no solution at 3B and probably C. Nothing in the pipeline. And nobody in the coming draft is expected to jump to MLB in a year at 3B.

If they want to contend in a year or two, they need a couple all stars and they need a 3B. So, in the opinion of many Sox fans, picking up an all star 3B without losing a top draft pick or a bunch of prospects was ideal. And they should be able to afford it. They claimed they could make a run at Machado and Harper.

Now, Machado and the Col 3B are off the table. Rendon is working on an extension. The Sox gave millions to an unproven prospect. Moncada was the number prospect once upon a time. Hopefully, Eloy proves better.

But with the Sox whiffing on Machado and with little 3B options ahead, I believe the rebuild has set back.

The Sox have no solution at 3B and probably C. Nothing in the pipeline. And nobody in the coming draft is expected to jump to MLB in a year at 3B.

If they want to contend in a year or two, they need a couple all stars and they need a 3B. So, in the opinion of many Sox fans, picking up an all star 3B without losing a top draft pick or a bunch of prospects was ideal. And they should be able to afford it. They claimed they could make a run at Machado and Harper.

Now, Machado and the Col 3B are off the table. Rendon is working on an extension. The Sox gave millions to an unproven prospect. Moncada was the number prospect once upon a time. Hopefully, Eloy proves better.

But with the Sox whiffing on Machado and with little 3B options ahead, I believe the rebuild has set back.
You have given up on Mocada already? Think that is a mistake.

Haven’t given up but only way he is ever All Star at 3B is if all the studs keep heading to the NL.

I also don’t think he will ever command Machado type money.

Hey IGNORE, I wanted to send you a PM on here, but I don't think it's enabled for you. Can you turn it on or share a burner email account with me? I wanted to ask you about something off of here. Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT