ADVERTISEMENT

Young to … Duke?

Yeah, that one surprised me. I guess he can give them some minutes off the bench?
Yeah. Great school and a real chance to win a national championship (unlike the B1G), so good for him. 10 minutes a game at Duke might be more be more appealing to him than playing 25 minutes on a pretty good team. They have a bunch of 5 stars coming in but I guess even Duke can use a veteran big man that can score off the bench.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Young is a good student and an NU grad. He's primarily looking for a graduate degree from a highly-regarded university.

My guess anyhow.

It would be great for Ryan Young, but would sure hurt as an NU fan who doesn't like how Duke runs its basketball program!

Reactions: techtim72
Theo John went to Duke from Marquette. Filled the 10-15 off the bench. It depends on what Young wants.

He was never a 15 off the bench at NU, except in the mind of the guy who mattered. Amazingly he’s probably worth similar minutes at Duke.

Theo John went to Duke from Marquette. Filled the 10-15 off the bench. It depends on what Young wants.

He was never a 15 off the bench at NU, except in the mind of the guy who mattered. Amazingly he’s probably worth similar minutes at Duke.
They signed 2 of the top centers in the country so I assume he would be an insurance policy in case one of them doesn't produce as expected. I think there is a decent chance he might not play in some games at all if the 2 5-stars are as advertised. He would be great to practice against for the younger bigs, though, with all of his post moves.

This feels similar to Clemson throwing a dart at Hunter Johnson. There is no downside to Duke or Young. If they need him, he can get it done. If they don't need him, he gets a chance at participating in the NCAAs. Plus I get the feeling he might be a halfway decent leader/coach on the floor type guy when Duke is facing a transition unlike any they've had in decades. When you bring in a lot of one-and-done guys, having a super senior everyone likes in the locker room is a great 12th man.

Reactions: Aging Booster
This feels similar to Clemson throwing a dart at Hunter Johnson. There is no downside to Duke or Young. If they need him, he can get it done. If they don't need him, he gets a chance at participating in the NCAAs. Plus I get the feeling he might be a halfway decent leader/coach on the floor type guy when Duke is facing a transition unlike any they've had in decades. When you bring in a lot of one-and-done guys, having a super senior everyone likes in the locker room is a great 12th man.
And if Duke is losing by 40, he can assure them that the sun will come up tomorrow. “Seriously, guys, I’ve been there.”

It’d be great for him to get a few minutes, get honored on senior day, be the fan favorite at the end of the bench, and drop some sweet sweet YMCA post moves on ESPN late in blowouts.

Duke’s recruiting is ridiculous.

Their other grad transfer is coming in from Harvard. I presume it’s a challenge for them to fill out a 13 man roster due to their annual attrition rate to the NBA.

Good for Ryan Young. He is a very bright young man who did extremely well academically at NU. He is not going to be playing in the NBA, but degrees from Northwestern and Duke would serve him quite well for the rest of his life. Prospective employers would be all over him when his basketball career is over.

They signed 2 of the top centers in the country so I assume he would be an insurance policy in case one of them doesn't produce as expected. I think there is a decent chance he might not play in some games at all if the 2 5-stars are as advertised. He would be great to practice against for the younger bigs, though, with all of his post moves.
Duke understands the value of having some experience mixed with all those 5 star recruits. And not all 5 stars are reliable as freshmen. Young would make a lot of sense for them. Maybe more than Duke makes sense for Young.

Their other grad transfer is coming in from Harvard. I presume it’s a challenge for them to fill out a 13 man roster due to their annual attrition rate to the NBA.
Their team GPA is gonna skyrocket next season.

Duke understands the value of having some experience mixed with all those 5 star recruits. And not all 5 stars are reliable as freshmen. Young would make a lot of sense for them. Maybe more than Duke makes sense for Young.
All the schools on his visit list make sense for Young, including Duke.

All the schools on his visit list make sense for Young, including Duke.
Depends if he wants to win or play. Georgetown is horrendous. GT is losing talent. BC he would get plenty of run. Duke, sorry he will be in the bench for the end of the game, just like here. The best fit to me is ND. Lost a ton there and he’d see a lot of minutes.

If he goes to Miami, he's gonna get paid. Paper rich mega-booster John Ruiz is handing out NIL deals like Pez.
I don't think Ryan's going to get paid to go anywhere, other than receiving a full ride. He's not exactly a hot commodity. My guess is that he will make his choice based primarily on which school offers the academic program which best suits him. They're all good schools.

I still have questions about exactly why Young's departure from Northwestern went down as it did.

I don't understand why Young didn't take a bow by participating on Senior Night with Pete Nance and Ryan Greer.
Its tradition and you do it out of respect for your school and the fans and coaching staff.
I also don't understand why he really made no public statement as to why he was leaving. (Although Miller Kopp's exit probably showed him what not to do)

Sure, it is possible that Young is really humble and just didn't think it was a big deal that he was leaving, but thats pretty unusual - you'd think he would want to thank people for helping him... maybe I just missed a public statement...

So to loop back to Senior night, Young knew he had the credits to graduate. I'm going to assume Collins knew that too. Even I knew he probably had the credits based on his academic reputation.

So you'd think Collins would INSIST that one of his graduating players would accept the honors and participate.

But that didn't happen.

And I can't come up with a scenario where player and coach were on the same page.

I don't think Ryan's going to get paid to go anywhere, other than receiving a full ride. He's not exactly a hot commodity. My guess is that he will make his choice based primarily on which school offers the academic program which best suits him. They're all good schools.
Doesn't matter. Ruiz is handing out NILs to women's basketball players, football second-stringers, pretty much anyone. Miami football has something like 10+ transfers and even the lesser names got luxury cars. If Duke is really looking at RY and Miami has a shot, Ruiz will step up.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
If he goes to Miami, he's gonna get paid. Paper rich mega-booster John Ruiz is handing out NIL deals like Pez.
My first thought also. I hope he chooses Miami. I'd like to see if Ruiz pounds his chest for RY as much as he has other recent commits.

Doesn't matter. Ruiz is handing out NILs to women's basketball players, football second-stringers, pretty much anyone. Miami football has something like 10+ transfers and even the lesser names got luxury cars. If Duke is really looking at RY and Miami has a shot, Ruiz will step up.
You might be right - I simply don't know. But you're sort of missing my point, which is that I don't believe Ryan will make his choice on the basis of receiving NIL money.

Young is a good student and an NU grad. He's primarily looking for a graduate degree from a highly-regarded university.

My guess anyhow.

It would be great for Ryan Young, but would sure hurt as an NU fan who doesn't like how Duke runs its basketball program!
Maybe we can send CCC as a package deal?

If this happens the sound of the slap coming from Durham will be heard, for years, along the shores of Lake Michigan.

The fact that that article refers to Ryan Young as a "Giant Transfer Target" for Duke is making my stomach hurt.

I recall some geniuses on here declaring that Ryan Young wouldn't start for any Big Ten team other than Nebraska.

If this happens the sound of the slap coming from Durham will be heard, for years, along the shores of Lake Michigan.

How the mighty have fallen.....Duke resorting to NU transfers to field a team.......sad.

[/s]

The fact that that article refers to Ryan Young as a "Giant Transfer Target" for Duke is making my stomach hurt.

I recall some geniuses on here declaring that Ryan Young wouldn't start for any Big Ten team other than Nebraska.
He's going to be a backup center at Duke and there is a chance he may not even play in some games. They lost all of their big men and have four freshman bigs coming in. He's got one year of eligibility left so he doesn't tie up a scholarship after next year. It's not an indication that he's a starting center on a good team. You understand that, right? He averaged .3 blocks a game in 17 minutes a game. Duke's starting center last year averaged 2.9 blocks in 23 minutes a game. Defense is an even bigger deal on great teams. I have always said he can be a rotation guy on most teams. I don't know if he will be that on Duke, though.. He's an insurance policy more than anything. Like I said, I am happy for him. Great school and a chance to play for a national championship. The fact that Ryan Young may play 6 minutes a game at Duke doesn't make my stomach hurt. You might want to have that checked out.

Shockingly, the coaches at the preeminent college basketball program know more than internet forum posters.

That said, Young could very well end up like Patrick Tape, playing ten minutes the entire season and being praised for his work in practice, at the end.

Wow, the 348th ranked recruit in his class with one other P6 offer gets to finish up his career at Duke. Staff did a heck a job developing RY.

He's going to be a backup center at Duke and there is a chance he may not even play in some games. They lost all of their big men and have four freshman bigs coming in. He's got one year of eligibility left so he doesn't tie up a scholarship after next year. It's not an indication that he's a starting center on a good team. You understand that, right? He averaged .3 blocks a game in 17 minutes a game. Duke's starting center last year averaged 2.9 blocks in 23 minutes a game. Defense is an even bigger deal on great teams. I have always said he can be a rotation guy on most teams. I don't know if he will be that on Duke, though.. He's an insurance policy more than anything. Like I said, I am happy for him. Great school and a chance to play for a national championship. The fact that Ryan Young may play 6 minutes a game at Duke doesn't make my stomach hurt. You might want to have that checked out.

Nobody said NU was as good as Duke. Nobody in the world thinks Ryan Young is going to be a star player at Duke. Whatever point you are trying to make, it is falling flat.

The fact remains that one of the premier programs in the country is considering bringing in a player who started one game in two seasons for NU. And that one start was due to an injury to our best player. And we won the game as heavy underdogs.

Hypothetical question, do you think Duke would be courting Robbie Beran out of the transfer portal?

Duke has 3 returning scholarship players. 3!!!

Good for RY to be able to play for something meaningful.

How the mighty have fallen.....Duke resorting to NU transfers to field a team.......sad.

[/s]
Is it a good sign for a program if a guy who did not play much (and even less when it counted) turns out to be a giant transfer target for one of the top 3 programs in the country?

We must be really good. At least all that space created, by stapling Young to the bench, really paid off.

Shockingly, the coaches at the preeminent college basketball program know more than internet forum posters.

That said, Young could very well end up like Patrick Tape, playing ten minutes the entire season and being praised for his work in practice, at the end.
I guess RY is a giant transfer target because fansided said so!

I am sure he’ll find a role, but I doubt it will be as defensive closer. He can teach the incoming recruits some of his craftiness on O.

Reactions: NUCat320

Is it a good sign for a program if a guy who did not play much (and even less when it counted) turns out to be a giant transfer target for one of the top 3 programs in the country?

We must be really good. At least all that space created, by stapling Young to the bench, really paid off.
As much as I respect the hell out of the "Ball Durham", I should point out that it was the author of the article that labeled him a giant transfer target in the headline. And Duke's only current transfer averaged 9.5 points a game last year (and was otherwise a pretty average basketball player) in his junior season for a Harvard team that finished at .500 for the season, so it's also not like Duke is recruiting All-Conference players to fill out its bench.

As much as I respect the hell out of the "Ball Durham", I should point out that it was the author of the article that labeled him a giant transfer target in the headline. And Duke's only current transfer averaged 9.5 points a game last year (and was otherwise a pretty average basketball player) in his junior season for a Harvard team that finished at .500 for the season, so it's also not like Duke is recruiting All-Conference players to fill out its bench.
Sure, but remove "giant" and stick to "transfer target" and it does not change one iota that this is sad.

I don't know if he will end up in Durham or not. But the fact that he is a target speaks volumes.

In my mind ND might make more sense than Duke. But that really depends on what Young feels happy with. I can also envision a lot of all conference players staying away from Duke for the simple reason of not wanting to risk ending up getting very limited minutes.

Sure, but remove "giant" and stick to "transfer target" and it does not change one iota that this is sad.

I don't know if he will end up in Durham or not. But the fact that he is a target speaks volumes.

In my mind ND might make more sense than Duke. But that really depends on what Young feels happy with. I can also envision a lot of all conference players staying away from Duke for the simple reason of not wanting to risk ending up getting very limited minutes.
I know this will be shocking to everyone on the board, but if Robbie Beran entered the transfer portal and really good teams needed depth at the 4 to fill out their roster, he would get offers from many of those really good teams. Does that prove that Collins was correct in playing Beran 21 minutes a game and Young 17 minutes a game? As you said, all conference players are likely staying away from Duke because they may not get any playing time. So guys like Young and the kid from Harvard have opportunities to fill out the roster. If Young plays meaningful minutes next year for Duke in the 2nd half of the season, that will speak volumes to me.

Young was here for 4 years. He didn't play as much as he wanted (or most fans wanted), so it makes perfect sense that he would transfer. I wish he had stayed but it was a lot more important for the program that Roper and Simmons stayed. Losing Young is a lot less sad to me than losing Joseph and Skowronek to Notre Dame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT