ADVERTISEMENT

Young to … Duke?

Sure, but remove "giant" and stick to "transfer target" and it does not change one iota that this is sad.

I don't know if he will end up in Durham or not. But the fact that he is a target speaks volumes.

In my mind ND might make more sense than Duke. But that really depends on what Young feels happy with. I can also envision a lot of all conference players staying away from Duke for the simple reason of not wanting to risk ending up getting very limited minutes.
If Duke admits Ryan Young into their MBA program, he's gotta take that over Notre Dame.
And if he wants to play in the NCAA tourney, Duke seems like the safest choice of all those schools.

Reactions: No Chores
Nobody said NU was as good as Duke. Nobody in the world thinks Ryan Young is going to be a star player at Duke. Whatever point you are trying to make, it is falling flat.

The fact remains that one of the premier programs in the country is considering bringing in a player who started one game in two seasons for NU. And that one start was due to an injury to our best player. And we won the game as heavy underdogs.

Hypothetical question, do you think Duke would be courting Robbie Beran out of the transfer portal?
If they needed depth at the 4, sure. Why not? He can hit an open 3 and is a decent defender. I think most teams in the country would be happy to have Robbie Beran play 3-5 minutes a half and provide depth.

As I said below, if Young plays meaningful minutes for Duke, than I agree. The fact that he and an average Ivy League player got offers to fill out the bench doesn’t automatically tell me that he was undervalued at NU. Should the guy from Harvard have played 30 plus minutes a game instead of 24? After all, the Ivy League is not the B1G and he is now on the Duke roster.

Shockingly, the coaches at the preeminent college basketball program know more than internet forum posters.

That said, Young could very well end up like Patrick Tape, playing ten minutes the entire season and being praised for his work in practice, at the end.
I don't think you have to be a basketball genius to see that Ryan Young's game doesn't exactly match what you normally see at Duke. He's not athletic enough to be a presence in the paint and he can't shoot outside of 5 feet, and thus, no ability to stretch the floor. I'll admit to being really stunned if he ends up at Duke and even more stunned if he contributes much at all. But good luck to him...

Wow, the 348th ranked recruit in his class with one other P6 offer gets to finish up his career at Duke. Staff did a heck a job developing RY.
Btw, seems like likelihood of developing a player is believed to be higher by many here due to James. And you have bolstered PWB’s argument about how terrible CCC is in that they developed a Duke caliber player but failed to proper utilize him 🤷‍♂️

Sure, but remove "giant" and stick to "transfer target" and it does not change one iota that this is sad.

I don't know if he will end up in Durham or not. But the fact that he is a target speaks volumes.

In my mind ND might make more sense than Duke. But that really depends on what Young feels happy with. I can also envision a lot of all conference players staying away from Duke for the simple reason of not wanting to risk ending up getting very limited minutes.
He would walk right into a starting role at ND and be guaranteed 25-30 minutes per game. It all depends on what he wants to do with his remaining eligibility.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Btw, seems like likelihood of developing a player is believed to be higher by many here due to James. And you have bolstered PWB’s argument about how terrible CCC is in that they developed a Duke caliber player but failed to proper utilize him 🤷‍♂️
Not really. A common refrain on this board is CCC can’t develop players. Benson, Rap, Falzon, Beran are throw out as examples. Now RY moves from a 348th rated recruit to a potential role with Duke, and the goal post moves to he didn’t use him enough. Two different arguments. So was RY developed or not at NU?

Not really. A common refrain on this board is CCC can’t develop players. Benson, Rap, Falzon, Beran are throw out as examples. Now RY moves from a 348th rated recruit to a potential role with Duke, and the goal post moves to he didn’t use him enough. Two different arguments. So was RY developed or not at NU?
A common refrain is that James develops the big men - RY is a big. Also, a common refrain is that CCC doesn't know how to utilize or coach - which if RY was developed to even get to sniff a Duke uniform yet didn't start here and saw limited minutes further confirms that refrain.

Obviously, he was. He took a rare redshirt year at NU because he wasn't ready to compete at B1G level, and ends up being a solid Center. Say what you will about other players who didn't develop, Ryan Young isn't one of them.
That's one way of seeing it. The other is that he was a starter and went backwards.

There is a chance he was a dud when he stepped on campus. We do not know how the RS year was. What we know is that from his first game in purple to where he is now, the evolution has not exactly been staggering. There's a very valid argument that it did not reach beyond or even achieved what is expected from just getting older and stronger.

That's one way of seeing it. The other is that he was a starter and went backwards.

There is a chance he was a dud when he stepped on campus. We do not know how the RS year was. What we know is that from his first game in purple to where he is now, the evolution has not exactly been staggering. There's a very valid argument that it did not reach beyond or even achieved what is expected from just getting older and stronger.
He did not go backwards - no offensive stat of his is worse per minute played. He was not wanted before and is now after having been at NU - and NU gets no credit?

Thanks for a more realistic assessment. His minutes dropped in consecutive seasons.

One answer could be that he was underrated by the people who evaluate high school players, came to NU, played a lot out of necessity his 2nd season after Collins redshirted him, didn't make great progress, didn't fit the Collins mold for a 5 and saw his minutes cut.

In my opinion, he made some progress on strength and technique while at NU, but didn't develop an outside shot, was still an effective player, underused by his coach for 2 full seasons.

He did not go backwards - no offensive stat of his is worse per minute played. He was not wanted before and is now after having been at NU - and NU gets no credit?
I believe what I said was that he was a starter and went backwards. You know, to the bench. To less minutes as a SO, and even less as a JR.

Followed by suggesting that there is a case that he did not evolve beyond what is expected. I don't have numbers to show you that the average guy posts much better numbers as a SR than as a FR. Probably, a wider gap than what you see with RY.

Finally, stats per 40 are useful. Very useful! But simple translation of proportions is not fair game. 9.5 rbs per 40 as a FR, playing 26 minutes seem more impressive than 10 and 9.9 playing 19 and 17.

If per 40 minutes did not have to be considered in perspective, Matt Nicholson could be All B1G.

NU gets credit for recruiting Young. Loads. And gets the pounding it deserves for not knowing how to use him or how to retain him.

I believe what I said was that he was a starter and went backwards. You know, to the bench. To less minutes as a SO, and even less as a JR.

Followed by suggesting that there is a case that he did not evolve beyond what is expected. I don't have numbers to show you that the average guy posts much better numbers as a SR than as a FR. Probably, a wider gap than what you see with RY.

Finally, stats per 40 are useful. Very useful! But simple translation of proportions is not fair game. 9.5 rbs per 40 as a FR, playing 26 minutes seem more impressive than 10 and 9.9 playing 19 and 17.

If per 40 minutes did not have to be considered in perspective, Matt Nicholson could be All B1G.

NU gets credit for recruiting Young. Loads. And gets the pounding it deserves for not knowing how to use him or how to retain him.
Where do you get that Ryan was a starter last year? He started exactly 5 of 24 games:

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy

So a no-name recruit for NU who is now looked at by Duke did not develop as expected? That’s the question.

Let’s not call Ryan Young a ‘Duke caliber player.’ He’s, potentially, a ‘Duke caliber benchwarmer.’

Reactions: IGNORE2
So a no-name recruit for NU who is now looked at by Duke did not develop as expected? That’s the question.
I am not going to re hash what I already wrote about it.

Let’s believe players who develop very well get progressively less minutes. That makes sense. Maybe this year, had he stayed he could score 5 a game in 5 minutes. 40 points per 40 minutes. Now that would be development.

The bottom line is that he was a great player who we stapled to the bench. Maybe 5 coaches in the country would have benched him. We were lucky enough to have one of those 5. Surely paid off.

I am not going to re hash what I already wrote about it.

Let’s believe players who develop very well get progressively less minutes. That makes sense. Maybe this year, had he stayed he could score 5 a game in 5 minutes. 40 points per 40 minutes. Now that would be development.

The bottom line is that he was a great player who we stapled to the bench. Maybe 5 coaches in the country would have benched him. We were lucky enough to have one of those 5. Surely paid off.
A “great player”? That will make me stop asking for an answer I still have not yet received.

A “great player”? That will make me stop asking for an answer I still have not yet received.
I admire RY for his approach and work ethic. Never heard any complaints and by all accounts a good teammate. Represented NU honorably.

it’s a shame he is getting to be exhibit A or B on some posters obsession to win a point in the why CCC sucks. I am not going to list RY’s flaws on here that prevent the great label. Anyone with two eyes can see them and they have been pointed out before to deaf ears. Next year MN will come out with some good games and all the talk will be about CCC misusing a great player in 2021-22. We are going to lose a ton of close games and all of the John Wooden’s will come out and share their line up combinations on how we would have won if CCC had just followed their counsel. Gonna be fun!

I can’t help you find an answer you don’t want to see
Oh please - your further attempts at elusiveness to answering a simple question are laughable. My wife can see RY is not a great player, and she puts up with all of my NU optimism.

Oh please - your further attempts at elusiveness to answering a simple question are laughable. My wife can see RY is not a great player, and she puts up with all of my NU optimism.
RY is far from a great player and if he miraculously ends up at Duke, it will be more a testament to how Duke is starting to drop in the post-Coach K era.

He’s taking an official visit there. That means he’s a Duke caliber player. Quite literally.
This is true.

I was responding to some convoluted post trying to prove something convoluted, which seems to use NU DEVELOPED RYAN YOUNG INTO A DUKE CALIBER PLAYER as Exhibit A.

But Exhibit A is misleading.

Because while “Duke caliber player” summons up images of Paolo Banchero and Jahlil Okafor and Zion Williamson and Mark Williams and countless other tremendous post types, what Ryan Young will be asked to do looks a lot more like what Bates Jones and Keenan Worthington and Stanley Borden and Patrick Tapé and Antonio Vrankovic were asked to do. (You haven’t heard of those guys, but they’re big bodies on Duke’s roster in recent years with classes of ‘Sr.’ or ‘Gr.’)

And this is not to denigrate Young — man, I hope he gets a few Fuqua management certificates out of this (he won’t get an MBA, but ‘management studies’ is cool too), if it’s the path he chooses.

It’s simply to call out illogical rhetoric built on a fundamental initial untruth.

Last edited:
RY is far from a great player and if he miraculously ends up at Duke, it will be more a testament to how Duke is starting to drop in the post-Coach K era.
He’s not being recruited to Duke to play. He’s being recruited to Duke to be on the team.

If Ryan Young chooses to attend Duke, it’s because
a) he values whatever credentials he might be able to leave with, and
b) he values being part of a team, and
c) he values the opportunity to maybe be part of a team that gets to keep playing in front of huge crowds and the entire country in April, and
d) he values the opportunity for thousands of undergrads to absolutely go wild when he comes off the bench, and
e) he values the opportunity to cause TOTAL FKKKKKKKNG BEDLAM if he completes a sweet sweet post move or swats a shot or is really feeling it and drops some amazing no-look post pass to a dude who drains a three.

And if he chooses Duke over Georgetown or Notre Dame or BC or GaTech, it’s because he values those things — hard work behind the scenes, high probability of being on a winning team, no chance for public criticism and great probability for some really really fun moments — over another year or playing quite a bit and battling every night in front of less enthusiastic crowds for a chance to be good enough for a few games in March.

There’s great appeal to both. But if I were a guy who’d had his NU career, I’d be ready to start something new at Duke.

If they needed depth at the 4, sure. Why not? He can hit an open 3 and is a decent defender. I think most teams in the country would be happy to have Robbie Beran play 3-5 minutes a half and provide depth.

As I said below, if Young plays meaningful minutes for Duke, than I agree. The fact that he and an average Ivy League player got offers to fill out the bench doesn’t automatically tell me that he was undervalued at NU. Should the guy from Harvard have played 30 plus minutes a game instead of 24? After all, the Ivy League is not the B1G and he is now on the Duke roster.
Young is being recruited for this guy’s roster spot, not for Mark Williams’.

Reactions: GatoLouco
There’s also this guy’s spot:

This is, of course, the correct takeaway. As much as I like RY as a player, he is being recruited to fill a specific role to provide senior leadership in the locker room of a one-and-done program and perhaps get some garbage time throughout the year. And I don’t mean to be dismissive with that. I can’t blame RY for seeking out the opportunity to spend a year in a storied program, even if in a background role.

Last edited:
Apparently the Duke staff agrees with me. Your wife agrees with you. Who am I to say who is right.

• Haha
I admire RY for his approach and work ethic. Never heard any complaints and by all accounts a good teammate. Represented NU honorably.

it’s a shame he is getting to be exhibit A or B on some posters obsession to win a point in the why CCC sucks. I am not going to list RY’s flaws on here that prevent the great label. Anyone with two eyes can see them and they have been pointed out before to deaf ears. Next year MN will come out with some good games and all the talk will be about CCC misusing a great player in 2021-22. We are going to lose a ton of close games and all of the John Wooden’s will come out and share their line up combinations on how we would have won if CCC had just followed their counsel. Gonna be fun!
If only there was an alternative. Like. I dunno. The school brings in someone new that invigorates the fan base, starts with a fresh long leash, offers hope and excitement, if not for next year, then the future.

Nope, it’s on the fans to sit down, shut up, drink their koolaid, handover their time and money and applaud mediocracy when we’re lucky enough to see it. Why would anyone ever expect highly compensated personnel in a big revenue department to bear any responsibility. That’s state school dumb. We are NU!

Sounds like a very patient lady.

I would trade staff and rosters and and every day w Duke and I’d even throw in PF and Co to sweeten the pot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT