ADVERTISEMENT

Young to … Duke?

So a no-name recruit for NU who is now looked at by Duke did not develop as expected? That’s the question.

Young came to NU as the 348th rated player in the class of 2018, according to 24/7 sports. He was the #58 power forward and the #4 player in Pennsylvania. For Rivals.com, he was unrated nationally overall, (they stop at #150, I believe) but listed as the #26 center. In an article from Feb 2018, one Rivals writer describes the 2018 center prospects this way...

"Bol Bol, Nazreon Reid and Moses Brown carry the baton for the class, but even these three elite prospects have a few questions about their longevity at the next level and beyond. Could there be a few surprises at the college level? Sure. I could see RYAN YOUNG, George Conditt, and Jake Walter developing into crucial pieces for their team’s success."

So Young was not an unknown when he arrived at NU.

Collins had Dererk Pardon, Barret Benson and freshman Pete Nance on his roster, so he redshirted Ryan Young that first season. After the season, Pardon graduated, Benson graduated in 3 years and transferred out to SIU.

As a redshirt freshman, Young started all 31 games at center, sophomore Miller Kopp started all 31 games at small forward and guard, with sophomore Pete Nance starting 20 games and freshman Robbie Beran starting 18 games and grad transfer Pat Spencer starting 29... So that means Collins started Young, Nance, Beran, Kopp and Spencer together for at least 5-7 games. The table below shows Big Ten games...

PlayerSeasonMins/GamePts/40Rebs/40OffRtg
Young2019-2025.511.88.897.8
Young2020-2119.515.39.1110.6
Young2021-2217.117.910.6103.0
Nance2019-2024.312.39.491.8
Nance2020-2127.916.59.3109.0
Nance2021-2228.619.68.4115.8
Beran2019-2019.011.17.193.8
Beran2020-2120.29.54.894.8
Beran2021-2221.911.27.4104.3

This casts some light on how these 3 NU frontcourt players have developed.

If only there was an alternative. Like. I dunno. The school brings in someone new that invigorates the fan base, starts with a fresh long leash, offers hope and excitement, if not for next year, then the future.

Nope, it’s on the fans to sit down, shut up, drink their koolaid, handover their time and money and applaud mediocracy when we’re lucky enough to see it. Why would anyone ever expect highly compensated personnel in a big revenue department to bear any responsibility. That’s state school dumb. We are NU!
Wash, rinse, repeat!

Apparently the Duke staff agrees with me. Your wife agrees with you. Who am I to say who is right.
The direct question to you of whether NU developed RY into a “great player” is left unanswered. That being said, I’d be happy to act as a reference for you when you apply for continuing education credits at the school(s) of your choice: School of Selective Blog Post Reading; School of Mental Gymnastics and Question Avoidance; and School of The Last Word.

The direct question to you of whether NU developed RY into a “great player” is left unanswered. That being said, I’d be happy to act as a reference for you when you apply for continuing education credits at the school(s) of your choice: School of Selective Blog Post Reading; School of Mental Gymnastics and Question Avoidance; and School of The Last Word.
#irony

Thanks!

I’ll gladly do the same for you at the School of Logic that gets more twisted than a pretzel.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Asking a question of you and not getting an answer has nothing to do with my logic skills.

Excellent post.
Also, misuse of “apart” is a great tragedy of social media. At least he didn’t write “with that being said”, about something he did not just say.

“Apart” is worse than “heighth.”
Edit: no, heighth is worse.

Also, Nance to Young, via DM: “Can I copy-paste the first part?”

Last edited:
Yep, sure doesn’t sound like he has an axe to grind with the Coaching staff of anything about NU. Sure some will take it he is just taking the high road because it doesn’t fit their narrative.

The kid gets to experience the two extremes of the D1 College basketball world. He’d be a great interview when it is all said and done for his playing career.

Reactions: DaCat
Yep, sure doesn’t sound like he has an axe to grind with the Coaching staff of anything about NU. Sure some will take it he is just taking the high road because it doesn’t fit their narrative.

The kid gets to experience the two extremes of the D1 College basketball world. He’d be a great interview when it is all said and done for his playing career.

Will be eagerly waiting for a “Fog of War” McNamara style of documentary. To finally set scores on whether CC was competent or not.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2

Is it possible that he was unhappy with how he was used but is too classy to complain about it publicly?
This is a basic competence question, so think before answering.

The only thing we learned from above is that Pete Nance got along with Ryan Young. It always seemed like it, but Nance's tweet is nice to see. Unfortunately they were strangers on the basketball court. Not because they didn't like each other. (Side note - Pete Nance said Ryan Young was "destined for greatness" as opposed to "a great player" - I think he probably means "in life.")

The facts remain that Young did not participate in Senior Day, suggesting he'd be returning to NU, then transferred after NU announced Collins was being retained. And he got picked up by one of the top programs in the country, after starting 5 games in 2 years at NU. Surely this proves his supporters correct - he was an above average Big Ten player - not a stiff as several opined.

I'm happy for Ryan Young, not happy for NU basketball.

Last edited:
Is it possible that he was unhappy with how he was used but is too classy to complain about it publicly?
This is a basic competence question, so think before answering.

The only thing we learned from above is that Pete Nance got along with Ryan Young. It always seemed like it, but Nance's tweet is nice to see. Unfortunately they were strangers on the basketball court. Not because they didn't like each other. (Side note - Pete Nance said Ryan Young was "destined for greatness" as opposed to "a great player" - I think he probably means "in life.")

The facts remain that Young did not participate in Senior Day, suggesting he'd be returning to NU, then transferred after NU announced Collins was being retained. And he got picked up by one of the top programs in the country, after starting one game in 2 years at NU. Surely this proves his supporters correct - he was an above average Big Ten player - not a stiff as several opined.

I'm happy for Ryan Young, not happy for NU basketball.
Nicely put. Ryan Young will end up a big time winner in life having nothing to do with basketball. He gave NU everything he had and I'm sure he'll do the same at Duke. Yet there will still be some on here who will argue that he'll just ride the pine at Duke. Yep, those who really don't get it will continue to say that.

Man, you need to check your data. He started 6 games the last 2 years, and 37 in his NU career.
You're right. Young started one game this past season.
He started 4 consecutive games with Nance two years ago, then we went back to Nance/Beran.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT