ADVERTISEMENT

#1 (Again)

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Cats are the leaders in APR yet agin. Nice to see the picture in the headline from collegefootballnews.

usatsi_10332136-2.jpg

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/05/2018-ncaa-academic-progress-rate-football-apr-rankings

I would settle for #6, or #8, or maybe even #12 if this would allow NU recruit/admit a few more difference makers allowing the ‘Cats to consistently win the West. Is that a totally perfidious position to take?

I would settle for #6, or #8, or maybe even #12 if this would allow NU recruit/admit a few more difference makers allowing the ‘Cats to consistently win the West. Is that a totally perfidious position to take?

Heck, at this juncture, I'll take winning the West once a decade (preferably at least twice).

Short version : IMO, NU puts undue emphasis on APR ranking. Longer version : APR , on its own, is not a reliable metric for assessing the efficacy of P5 undergraduate academic program. So what if someone graduates —as we have seen often enough— with an “assisted” degree in, say, Communications? The real question is : if the graduate does not go on to play in “The League” , what empirical evidence is there that his degree prepared him to succeed in a job requiring skills, knowledge and abilities that would not otherwise have been developed with simply a HS diploma?

Short version : IMO, NU puts undue emphasis on APR ranking. Longer version : APR , on its own, is not a reliable metric for assessing the efficacy of P5 undergraduate academic program. So what if someone graduates —as we have seen often enough— with an “assisted” degree in, say, Communications? The real question is : if the graduate does not go on to play in “The League” , what empirical evidence is there that his degree prepared him to succeed in a job requiring skills, knowledge and abilities that would not otherwise have been developed with simply a HS diploma?

NU ranks at the top of pretty much any measure when it comes to academic performance of its athletes. The rankings are a symptom of the great work done by the student-athletes, coaches, tutors, administrators, etc.

NU ranks at the top of pretty much any measure when it comes to academic performance of its athletes. The rankings are a symptom of the great work done by the student-athletes, coaches, tutors, administrators, etc.

I don’t doubt that. Just would like to see other programs measured against a composite metric of all these “measurables.” APR, may be a leading indicator, but it’s only part of a story.

I don’t doubt that. Just would like to see other programs measured against a composite metric of all these “measurables.” APR, may be a leading indicator, but it’s only part of a story.

APR, Graduation Success Rate, team GPA, whatever metric you choose NU will be near the top.

I kind of knew about MSU but Purdue and Iowa surprised me.

Purdue has been this way for a long time. It's noteworthy that their biggest recruiting tools are a Choo-Choo and a Big Drum. Hmmm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT