ADVERTISEMENT

100 greatest Illinois high school players of all-time

That's one hell of a list. I'm pretty surprised to not see Matt Lottich anywhere on there. He was one of the most dominant high school players I ever saw and I was fortunate enough to see 10+ players on that list play in HS.

That's one hell of a list. I'm pretty surprised to not see Matt Lottich anywhere on there. He was one of the most dominant high school players I ever saw and I was fortunate enough to see 10+ players on that list play in HS.
Didn't we have a shot at him? I seem to remember NU being a possibility for him, but the details are hazy.

That's a pretty good list although I think the list is skewed towards recent era players and players that had basketball accomplishments after HS. I've had the pleasure of seeing a lot of these players play and I would argue a bit with how some of these players were ranked within the categories. Sherrel Ford and, to a lesser extent, Donnie Boyce were much better HS players that Michael Finley. Finley ended up having the better pro career but there is no way he was the better than Ford in HS. Kenny Davis was also a phenomenal guard from that era of Proviso East teams and I don't think I saw him on any of the lists. There are lots of guys that are not even on the honorable mention list that probably should be but were likely excluded because for one reason or another they did not accomplish much basketball wise after HS.

Reactions: julescat
Am I correct that neither Jim Stack nor Kevin Boyle are on these lists?

And Darryl Walker is honorable mention.

No Ray McCoy.

fun discussion starter but a very unfinished product.

Audie Matthews, Joe Ponsetto...lots of guys not on the list from a very, very good basketball state.

No Gary Bell from Joliet?
I noticed that too - a couple of others I thought of from my era of following high school - rico hill, Ryan hogan and Imari sawyer who I believe was considered a top 25 type recruit nationally. Leon smith should probably be in the top 100 not honorable mention. I also don't remember Dwayne wade being that great in high school, but maybe he was.

And by the way, where oh where is Alfredrick Hughes on this list?

The guy lit it up and his teams won - in contrast to a Pistol Pete and other gunners who didn't win. If you're gonna gun like him, you need to win - and he did.

Great list and great names. All kinds of fine memories of guys I've seen play college ball since the mid-70's when I started paying attention.

Alfredrick Hughes was great. I don't know if he's on the list, but Darius Clemmons is another CPS/Loyola U player who deservers to be top 100. How he didn't play in the pros for 15 years I'll never know.

Reactions: julescat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT