ADVERTISEMENT

2-Deep

We've still heard nothing about Solomon Vault, right? I'd imagine if he's still unavailable he just won't appear on the two-deep, just like last week?

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
They are going to give Trae Williams another shot to be the starting CB?

As mentioned before - I wouldn't put too much stock on the 2-deep. Really only good for understanding injury updates. Guarantee you Newsome will play and play a lot.

Reactions: aquacat
We've still heard nothing about Solomon Vault, right? I'd imagine if he's still unavailable he just won't appear on the two-deep, just like last week?
Not necessarily. Kent wasn't on last week's 2-deep but was in the d-line rotation early. Depth charts aren't required, and Harbaugh doesn't even issue one.

Pugh 2nd team Superback looks like only change. And Alex Miller is still listed as first team.

As mentioned before - I wouldn't put too much stock on the 2-deep. Really only good for understanding injury updates. Guarantee you Newsome will play and play a lot.

Yeah if Purdue was any indication, it’s only a matter of time before Newsome becomes the #2 CB. No sense in shaking up the two-deep after one game, though.

Pugh 2nd team Superback looks like only change. And Alex Miller is still listed as first team.

Miller will be on the injury report this week if there is indeed an issue, per Fitz's rules.

Anybody have any insights on what’s up with Solomon Vault? Is he still hurt? In Fitz’ doghouse? Inquiring minds want to know.

Really encouraging that Miller is still listed as a starter. Thought the DL took a bit of a step back after he was out, even though they still held their own. Dude's good.

This lack of information drives me crazy........why cant we know Solomon Vaults situation? Or Browns ? what is the purpose?????? If Solomon Vault suddenly jumps out of an airplane lands on the field 2 minutes before game time and Fitz yells "gotcha" that will make the difference in the game.?....This to me is Fitz just being his usual " I know more than you,,," attitude. The whole press conference today seemed condescending to me........What is wrong with saying Solomon is still injured we hope to see him in 4 weeks??? Dont get it.

Fitz is particularly annoyed with the media today. Yikes! Bordering on Saban territory in this press conference. Look, would it be nice if reporters would find positives to write about and positive ways to phrase their questions? Sure. But for whatever reason, reporters always seem to focus on the negatives. I guess that is what sells. That all said, part of being a coach is doing these things.

Maybe he just really doesn't like (or respect) some of the guys in the room. I'd venture a guess that he'd respond a lot better to questions coming from anyone who has actually put on a set of pads at the college level rather than 145 lb Medill kids who have never stepped on a field.

This lack of information drives me crazy........why cant we know Solomon Vaults situation? Or Browns ? what is the purpose?????? If Solomon Vault suddenly jumps out of an airplane lands on the field 2 minutes before game time and Fitz yells "gotcha" that will make the difference in the game.?....This to me is Fitz just being his usual " I know more than you,,," attitude. The whole press conference today seemed condescending to me........What is wrong with saying Solomon is still injured we hope to see him in 4 weeks??? Dont get it.

Sincere response here. What rights, beyond creating fan goodwill, to we have to injuries or 2-deeps? Fitz has no responsibility to share any of it. His responsibility is to prepare his players, keep them on track educationally and in life, and win football games.

Yea I want them too, but in the end I understand why he ( and a growing number of BCS coaches) don’t want to do it, unless all coaches do it equally.

Fitz is particularly annoyed with the media today. Yikes! Bordering on Saban territory in this press conference. Look, would it be nice if reporters would find positives to write about and positive ways to phrase their questions? Sure. But for whatever reason, reporters always seem to focus on the negatives. I guess that is what sells. That all said, part of being a coach is doing these things.

Maybe he just really doesn't like (or respect) some of the guys in the room. I'd venture a guess that he'd respond a lot better to questions coming from anyone who has actually put on a set of pads at the college level rather than 145 lb Medill kids who have never stepped on a field.

It’s pretty clear, he doesn’t answer questions that MAY give the opposition an insight into the game plan. It’s interview experience imo and has nothing to do with not putting on the pads. Teddy, Skip, and Mr. Cat didn’t position questions that gave out intel on the gameplan. The Medill kids ( if that is who they were) did. I understand this on game week. I do think Fitz can be too secretive on non-game install weeks ( spring, summer practices) but I can understand his approach. Do you think Purdue would have been more prepared for Larkin in the Wildcat if they knew it was coming?

It’s pretty clear, he doesn’t answer questions that MAY give the opposition an insight into the game plan. It’s interview experience imo and has nothing to do with not putting on the pads. Teddy, Skip, and Mr. Cat didn’t position questions that gave out intel on the gameplan. The Medill kids ( if that is who they were) did. I understand this on game week. I do think Fitz can be too secretive on non-game install weeks ( spring, summer practices) but I can understand his approach. Do you think Purdue would have been more prepared for Larkin in the Wildcat if they knew it was coming?
Total speculation, but I had the feeling at the start that he was unhappy with practice today. No opening statement, wiping sweat, made a comment about needing a lot of improvement. I get that he doesn't want to answer questions about either player status or scheme, but he could be a bit more graceful about it.

ea I want them too, but in the end I understand why he ( and a growing number of BCS coaches) don’t want to do it, unless all coaches do it equally.
Then please explain to me why NU fans and college football fans in general cannot know whether Solomon Vault is going to return this year.I totally understand the mystery about which qb in terms of giving an opponent less chance to properly prepare.....or any player in which the info would help or hinder an opponents ability to prepare........We actually got lots of info on Cts progress....not about whether he would start or not.....So why not just an update on his injury progress ,,,why such a mystery......?

Then please explain to me why NU fans and college football fans in general cannot know whether Solomon Vault is going to return this year.I totally understand the mystery about which qb in terms of giving an opponent less chance to properly prepare.....or any player in which the info would help or hinder an opponents ability to prepare........We actually got lots of info on Cts progress....not about whether he would start or not.....So why not just an update on his injury progress ,,,why such a mystery......?

Because (1) strategy and (2) laws.

Reactions: jschufreider
Just curious....what is the strategy and what is the law....Why does the law allow certain injury information but not others.......and what is the strategy regarding Solomon Vault ?

Just curious....what is the strategy and what is the law....Why does the law allow certain injury information but not others.......and what is the strategy regarding Solomon Vault ?
I think we can logically conclude two things; 1) since Solo is not on the two deep, he is hurt and won’t play and 2) solo is expected back at some point or Fitz would have declared him out for the year as he has done several times in the past with other players.

If he isn’t on the sideline Saturday, you can draw a third possibility.

(1) Don’t tell your opponents more than they need to know. (2) HIPAA.

I think we can logically conclude two things; 1) since Solo is not on the two deep, he is hurt and won’t play and 2) solo is expected back at some point or Fitz would have declared him out for the year as he has done several times in the past with other players.

If he isn’t on the sideline Saturday, you can draw a third possibility.

#1 is not always a good assumption. I don't think Trevor Kent was on the 2 deep for Purdoo but he got a lot of reps. I guess in the case of Vault if he were healthy he would be on the 2 deep but who knows.

(1) Don’t tell your opponents more than they need to know. (2) HIPAA.
Fine, except at its basic level, CFB is entertainment. Who else among you has been pissed to go to a Broadway show only to find that annoying, tiny piece of paper that says Patrick Stewart will be replaced by Dick Hertz or something? Solo is one of my favorites and a local boy as well. Just say he won't play. Or might. Or something. You don't have to say he has an upper body injury. And we are all excited about Brown. Just say he is injured or not

His Mom said he is injured on this very board. No mystery there.
Which poster is his mom?

Also, I wish I could remember which kid, but at the 2nd last Duke away game, I saw one of the dads who reassured me that his kid would play the following week. IIRC, he missed like 4 more weeks. That's just an aside, I'm sure the parents are closely informed (and more forthcoming than the team).

I don't bet on games but I suppose bettors would use inside info if available. I mostly want to know who is going to play.

#1 is not always a good assumption. I don't think Trevor Kent was on the 2 deep for Purdoo but he got a lot of reps. I guess in the case of Vault if he were healthy he would be on the 2 deep but who knows.

My guess is that Kent is a slightly better interior pass rusher than Wyatt, so saw more snaps based on game plan. Wyatt probably sees that even out against more run-heavy teams.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT