ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Big Ten Lacrosse Schedule

Chicago Josh

Nov 16, 2009
The 2015 Big Ten lacrosse schedule was announced today, and I don't think the Cats could have asked for a better draw. 3 home games vs. 2 on the road, and the two away trips are to Michigan and Rutgers. Not that those are pushovers, but I'm happy to get Maryland, PSU, and OSU at home.

Now, if only we can get some games scheduled in the evening or on weekends, so I can actually attend them this year.

NU Sports - 2015 Conference Schedule

May I suggest a day trip to ND to see a men's ACC game-you will get to compare men's and women's games. The men's game is far more physical and because of stick technology., men can shoot the ball at close to 100mph. I think you would then understand why I believe NU should add men's lacrosse

Would be great if they had a men's team. However, don't underestimate the skill it takes in women's lax. Their basket is "flat" unlike the men's, and requires a lot of skill to keep the ball in it and throw it vs. the men who have a deep basket and wind it up and let 'er fly. I know, as I've tried both sticks.

I do not underestimate the skill it takes to catch and "cradle" a lacrosse ball in a "frying pan" . The ladies' game with its strange rules leaves the outcome in the hands of the referee all to frequently. The game is somewhat watchable now that there are defined boundaries but the men's game game is a true descendant of the Native American game. The ladies' game, I believe, originated in post Victorian England, hence the rules against contact ,"shooting space" etc

I just enjoy the men's game more than the women's game. I believe NU is missing an opportunity to add a sport that we would shortly become nationally relevant. Living in the DC area, the men's game was always available-high school, college and professional(Maryland Arrows Warthogs and Power Playing box lacrosse). My son entered a private school in the 3rd grade, he was given his books and a lacrosse stick and told to excel at both..Watching him play through grade school, high school,college and professionally makes me somewhat biased in favor of the men's game.

Would love to see men's lax added as well. I grew up on Long Island where lax is very popular. My high school, Chaminade, has one of the better programs on LI. My college alma mater, Boston Univerisity added men"s lax this past season and my kids' high school hired lax legend Casey Powell to develop their program here in Florida. Docrugby is right men's lacrosse is a natural fit for NU!

I got some equipment for my son, and it's ridiculous. The pockets of the new sticks should be illegal, I don't see how you can drop the ball. And the gloves are made of space age foam and super thin. I remember, we used to have to cut the palms from the bulky cloth and leather gloves that we used in HS.

LI lax was outstanding back in the day, but I don't recall ever seeing Chaminade in the NYS playoffs, but I remember Ward Melville and Garden City were really good.. We were champions of Section V Class A regularly when I was in school and West Genesee (Section III) would seem to always beat us in the playoffs.
This post was edited on 7/19 4:08 PM by EvanstonCat

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT