ADVERTISEMENT

2023 WBKB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cats open with an exhibition win over UW-Parkside. Looks like starters were Walsh, Brown, Shaw, Weaver and Rainey. No Sydney Wood in this one.

I watched the game, not much to be gleaned. Brown about very well from deep, let's hope that continues. A few to many turnovers for my liking, but Rainey was solid at the point. First year Lau had some nifty moves but committed 4 could in not that many minutes. I chalk that up to over excitement in her first college action.

I watched the game, not much to be gleaned. Brown about very well from deep, let's hope that continues. A few to many turnovers for my liking, but Rainey was solid at the point. First year Lau had some nifty moves but committed 4 could in not that many minutes. I chalk that up to over excitement in her first college action.
Lau has some swagger to her game.

(And thanks for moving this to the Basketball Board!)

Reactions: Alvious
This board sucks.
So don't post on it. I'm well aware of the issues we've had that have driven people away from this board, and I will be using a firmer hand to stop all the dead horses from continuing to be beaten. Basketball content belongs here, not on the Other Sports Board.

Reactions: Alvious
So don't post on it. I'm well aware of the issues we've had that have driven people away from this board, and I will be using a firmer hand to stop all the dead horses from continuing to be beaten. Basketball content belongs here, not on the Other Sports Board.

I don’t.

Actually just read the latest posts. The majority of posts are definitely in the dead horse category. Maybe W BBall deserves its own forum.

• Wow
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Actually just read the latest posts. The majority of posts are definitely in the dead horse category. Maybe W BBall deserves its own forum.
Sure, there's also been very little to discuss in the offseason. I would rather commit to improving this board so that people want to post on it again instead of having people purposefully try to prevent that from happening.

What exactly is the problem of beating a dead horse? Pointless, sure. Annoying, sure. But if there is no disrespect involved, what is the problem?

The folks you point to on beating dead horses are the ones actually creating content around here. Go figure.

What exactly is the problem of beating a dead horse? Pointless, sure. Annoying, sure. But if there is no disrespect involved, what is the problem?

The folks you point to on beating dead horses are the ones actually creating content around here. Go figure.
Because it drives people away when the same topics are beaten to death over and over again, and all discussion is dominated by a few people with the hills that they die on. Yes, it's the only content being created because people have already been driven away from the repetition.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver

Trying to have it both ways again. Why is “pointless” useful to anyone? No content is better than pointless and annoying content.

Because it drives people away when the same topics are beaten to death over and over again, and all discussion is dominated by a few people with the hills that they die on. Yes, it's the only content being created because people have already been driven away from the repetition.
I suggest you worry about tone and respect and not about content.

On the one hand, you know, it's free speech after all. On the other hand, your complainers are not creating any content as it is. They are just, as usual, complaining.

Trying to have it both ways again. Why is “pointless” useful to anyone? No content is better than pointless and annoying content.
I believe pointless or useless content has as much right to exist as the (I am sure) riveting content that will emerge from eliminating dead horses.

I suggest you worry about tone and respect and not about content.

On the one hand, you know, it's free speech after all. On the other hand, your complainers are not creating any content as it is. They are just, as usual, complaining.

I believe pointless or useless content has as much right to exist as the (I am sure) riveting content that will emerge from eliminating dead horses.
Making “pointless and annoying” remarks does not show “respect” or proper “tone”, respectively.

Feel free to exert your right to do it - but it must be within the rules created by this Board. And you lose credibility by being admittedly pointless and annoying, by definition. But if you don’t care about credibility, and are still within the rules, I would say keep on keepin’ on.

I have seen nothing that required "moderation" since the Basketball free board got a moderator.

Somebody is going to have to spell out the restrictions, because no one has any idea what constitutes "beating a dead horse" And then you have to tell us which subjects are verboten. And what the resolved questions are and what the right answers are. And we go from open discussion to one person's view of right and wrong. That ain't progress.

Can we see the activity numbers on this board over the past 3 years? Some sort of factual argument? Not just personal biases - I am asking for facts. Comments by month? # of contributors? anything?

Making “pointless and annoying” remarks does not show “respect” or proper “tone”, respectively.

Feel free to exert your right to do it - but it must be within the rules created by this Board. And you lose credibility by being admittedly pointless and annoying, by definition. But if you don’t care about credibility, and are still within the rules, I would say keep on keepin’ on.
Pointless or annoying are not determined by you or by me. They are determined by each person's likes and dislikes. If you police them you are policing to your own preferences. And that's wrong.

Not sure why you pivoted to credibility or, specifically, to passing judgement on my credibility. I find that toeing the line of respect a lot more than beating dead horses.

When does this thread discussing beating dead horses, becomes beating a dead horse? Keep on posting.

over it dead horse GIF

Majority opinions matter - it’s not just you and I commenting. And I am not setting any rules (or “policing”); just trying to abide by them and provide what I believe to be a reasonable person’s perspective, never intentionally pointless and annoying.

I cannot help that you never seem to be sure of how / where the discourse goes; it’s very easy to throw up your hands instead of responding directly to the comment/question.

I will personally stop commenting now.

I mean, this is literally the perfect example. The three of you are posting back and forth around the same topic, with nothing new being brought. This thread will be locked after this post.

Here is my criteria: Personal attacks on other posters will be deleted immediately. For content that beats a dead horse, and I honestly don't think it is particularly difficult for the intelligent people who populate this board to determine what that is, I will post a warning to move on, and if it continues, threads will be locked.

There are ways to constructively use a message board such as this. What we have seen the past couple seasons is not it. I receive zero compensation doing this, and my sole motivation is to have a forum to discuss NU basketball that is not dominated by a small minority posting the same screeds which drives away others.

Reactions: WildcatWillie
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT