ADVERTISEMENT

7 Jobs Open

shakes3858

Aug 28, 2009
Illinois: Tim Beckman fired prior to season for abusing players
Maryland: Randy Edsall fired at 2-4
Miami: Al Golden fired at 4-3 but losing 3 out of last 4 games last being 58-0 to Clemson
North Texas: Dan McCarney fired at 0-5
South Carolina: Steve Spurrier "retired" at 2-4
UCF: George O'Leary resigned at 0-8
USC: Steve Sarkisian fired for being an alcoholic at 3-2
Minnesota: Jerry Kill retired for health reasons at 4-3

This boggles my mind that so many schools are dropping coaches mid season. Why not wait a month? Let the team finish with the coaches they started with. It's not like a new coach is going to come in, coach the team up, start recruiting...

Last edited:
Miami: Al Golden fired at 4-3 but losing 3 out of last 4 games last being 58-0 to Clemson

This boggles my mind that so many schools are dropping coaches mid season. Why not wait a month? Let the team finish with the coaches they started with. It's not like a new coach is going to come in, coach the team up, start recruiting...

In most cases they are trying to get to the front of the line for the next "Got to have" coach. USC is the only "great" job on this list. Maryland...awful -B1G east (tOSU, Mich, MSU, Penn State - no chance), Miami...a lot to overcome especially the lack of identity playing so far away from campus since the OB closed, N. Texas -stepping stone for a Texas guy, South Carolina - a lot like Maryland just more $, UCF -decent stepping stone job, Illinois- awful

In most cases they are trying to get to the front of the line for the next "Got to have" coach. USC is the only "great" job on this list. Maryland...awful -B1G east (tOSU, Mich, MSU, Penn State - no chance), Miami...a lot to overcome especially the lack of identity playing so far away from campus since the OB closed, N. Texas -stepping stone for a Texas guy, South Carolina - a lot like Maryland just more $, UCF -decent stepping stone job, Illinois- awful
I'm with you there, if there is a sure fire head coach coming up (See Urban Meyer at Utah) that you want to get your hands on and if you're a top program that needs to end the media conversation of "will you fire the coach." I'm not sure who that coach is. You could certainly make a case for Justin Fuente. I don't think Matt Rhule has proben himself yet. I think it sends a bad message to the kids that you're done with this year, give up, and move on.

I think it also has a lot to due with the advancement of the recruiting cycle...with so many early commits, schools are hoping to have a coach in place as quickly as possible with the hope of saving their verbals.
How do you save them when they do not know who the HC will be until after the season is over? The real question for us is if there are any good potential position coaches on the staffs of those fired.

Gee, I thought that headline meant that NU had 7 openings on it's staff.

Well said Shakes. The BT East is pretty nasty

I think it also has a lot to due with the advancement of the recruiting cycle...with so many early commits, schools are hoping to have a coach in place as quickly as possible with the hope of saving their verbals.

It's this - the AD wants to "send a message" to recruits - to many it may connote uncertainty, but for others it will represent optimism.

Honestly and personally, I don't like that this is the direction we're moving towards in for college coaching personnel...another ugly version of the NFL. If it were up to me, every school would have to let coaches coach through the terms of their contracts - no "buyouts" and only changes/firing "for cause."

It's this - the AD wants to "send a message" to recruits - to many it may connote uncertainty, but for others it will represent optimism.

Honestly and personally, I don't like that this is the direction we're moving towards in for college coaching personnel...another ugly version of the NFL. If it were up to me, every school would have to let coaches coach through the terms of their contracts - no "buyouts" and only changes/firing "for cause."
I'm fine with firings. There would be nothing worse than having a lame duck coach trying to recruit, run a team... You'd end up with coaches being put on the backseat of their own team, having ADs hiring the next coach as a coordinator, and telling him that he's in charge, and a bunch of fighting (see West Virginia Bill Stewart Dana Holgorsen debacle). I just think the firings should come after the end of the year and that you cannot talk to a coach until after he's played his last game (I know, I know, recruiting signing day.... bla bla I'd get rid of signing day too)

I just think the firings should come after the end of the year and that you cannot talk to a coach until after he's played his last game (I know, I know, recruiting signing day.... bla bla I'd get rid of signing day too)[/QUOTE]

Bingo, hate nothing more than a school getting into a bowl game and the head coach and staff bailing to a new job. I would make it mandatory that no one in a bowl could get hired until its all over. Plus get rid of signing day. Have NLI be signed as soon as a kid begins his senior year of high school all the way up until April of their senior year...you think schools may be a bit more selective? You think kids may be a little more patient?? Also it would do away with de-comitts you want to sign you are stuck, a school wants to offer the kid accepts you are stuck with him

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I wonder how long Tom Herman will stay at University of Houston before he's off to a "Power Five" conference school. It's still his first year as a Cougar, but they're undefeated and already ranked in the top 20. He's a SoCal native and has the Ohio State ties, so you can imagine the possible interest from USC, Illinois and Maryland.

I wonder how long Tom Herman will stay at University of Houston before he's off to a "Power Five" conference school. It's still his first year as a Cougar, but they're undefeated and already ranked in the top 20. He's a SoCal native and has the Ohio State ties, so you can imagine the possible interest from USC, Illinois and Maryland.
In an article in the local Fort Lauderdale paper this morning he is mentioned as a possibility for the Miami job , Probably a bit of wishful thinking.

In an article in the local Fort Lauderdale paper this morning he is mentioned as a possibility for the Miami job , Probably a bit of wishful thinking.

Until Miami gets its stadium situation taken care of this job has become very unattractive. They have drawn very poorly at Dolphins stadium since leaving the OB and even when they have been good or playing a bigger game the crowds have been non existent. They may never get that back.

Saw that Franklin was asked about the Miami job. Says he's happy in Happy Valley.

Quite the carousel in the B1G. Have to wonder about Kevin Johns and Rutgers too.
You mean Kevin Wilson. I think it's a mistake to fire Wilson as Indiana is one of those teams that can beat someone with the great offense, but can lose to anyone too. Kind of reminds me of the later Walker years. The gave him a 7 year deal worth $8.4 million. With the BTN money, the buyout isn't going to be an issue, but he does have 3 more years left so you could give him the bowl or fired in 2016. That said, Indiana is 4-4. They close with Michigan, Iowa, Maryland and Purdue. The last 2 games are definitely winnable games for them which could put Indiana in a bowl game.

Kyle Flood, on the other hand, depends on what Julie Hermann wants to do with the Rutgers "image." Flood, sorry Norries that's Coach Flood, was hired by the previous AD and with all the legal/NCAA issues Rutgers is having this year, Coach Flood may get scapegoated. It's also intriguing that Greg Schiano doesn't have a job right now. Don't think he'd take his former assistant's job, but anything is possible in these situations.

Last edited:
I also think that Kevin Wilson's seat is getting pretty warm my guess is that it's about a 60% probability he will not be back next year

I also think that Kevin Wilson's seat is getting pretty warm my guess is that it's about a 60% probability he will not be back next year
If Wilson is let go can we bring back Kevin Johns to coach receivers...pretty please

You mean Kevin Wilson. I think it's a mistake to fire Wilson as Indiana is one of those teams that can beat someone with the great offense, but can lose to anyone too. Kind of reminds me of the later Walker years. The gave him a 7 year deal worth $8.4 million. With the BTN money, the buyout isn't going to be an issue, but he does have 3 more years left so you could give him the bowl or fired in 2016. That said, Indiana is 4-4. They close with Michigan, Iowa, Maryland and Purdue. The last 2 games are definitely winnable games for them which could put Indiana in a bowl game.

Kyle Flood, on the other hand, depends on what Julie Hermann wants to do with the Rutgers "image." Flood, sorry Norries that's Coach Flood, was hired by the previous AD and with all the legal/NCAA issues Rutgers is having this year, Coach Flood may get scapegoated. It's also intriguing that Greg Schiano doesn't have a job right now. Don't think he'd take his former assistant's job, but anything is possible in these situations.
Yes, Wilson not Johns. Too much coffee today.

He is a heck of an OC but as HC, he has had his issues from his first press conferences. If he wins, all forgiven but if not... It is funny that he has sort of built NU East. I would like Johns and Patton back but not sure we have a big enough position for either of them.

He is a heck of an OC but as HC, he has had his issues from his first press conferences. If he wins, all forgiven but if not... It is funny that he has sort of built NU East. I would like Johns and Patton back but not sure we have a big enough position for either of them.

I think that Indiana's recent loss to Rutgers might have sealed his fate.

I agree that Wilson coming back is never going to happen but I don't think Johns burned down the bridges that Wilson did.
Can someone just put the damn cards on the table and say why Wilson isn't coming back and what Johns did that got him kind of sort of fired? If they're not coming back anyway, why not just come out with it. And Kevin Wilson is a jerk and the players hated him isn't enough.

If you're that worried about the info going public, please email me anthony.ryan4983@gmail.com

Reactions: nycat33
Can someone just put the damn cards on the table and say why Wilson isn't coming back and what Johns did that got him kind of sort of fired? If they're not coming back anyway, why not just come out with it. And Kevin Wilson is a jerk and the players hated him isn't enough.

If you're that worried about the info going public, please email me anthony.ryan4983@gmail.com
Word is he got really drunk at the AD's Christmas party, did an impersonation of Ralph Fiennes as Randy Walker, and then threw a live ferret into the bathtub. That's just the rumor.

shakes, Facebook

Word is he got really drunk at the AD's Christmas party, did an impersonation of Ralph Fiennes as Randy Walker, and then threw a live ferret into the bathtub. That's just the rumor.
ALERT- no ferrets were harmed in the writing of this post.

Saw that Franklin was asked about the Miami job. Says he's happy in Happy Valley.

they all say that what else can you say. honestly it would be zero surprise if Franklin bolted Happy Valley. That job has become difficult with all the "stuff" hanging over it and MSU, Michigan, and tOSU in your division does not help either. Frankilin's agent have supposedly been eyeing USC...we shall see

they all say that what else can you say. honestly it would be zero surprise if Franklin bolted Happy Valley. That job has become difficult with all the "stuff" hanging over it and MSU, Michigan, and tOSU in your division does not help either. Frankilin's agent have supposedly been eyeing USC...we shall see

Finebaum crapped all over the U job on The Network the other day, saying the program was "bankrupt" and a 2nd tier job. Ouch.

Well since 2003 they have lost more than 4 games every single year under 3 different coaches, have not played in a tier 1 type of bowl in 13 seasons, and since moving out of the OB only play to about 55% capacity, so yeah the U has not looked anything like its heyday for almost a dozen years and not much reason to believe it will

Well since 2003 they have lost more than 4 games every single year under 3 different coaches, have not played in a tier 1 type of bowl in 13 seasons, and since moving out of the OB only play to about 55% capacity, so yeah the U has not looked anything like its heyday for almost a dozen years and not much reason to believe it will
Other than they are in a very recruiting rich territory that potentially helps a turnaround a lot.

Minnesota: Jerry Kill retired for health reasons at 4-3

Hard to believe how quickly the wheels came off at UCF. In 2013 they went 12-1 and beat #6 Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl in January 2014. George O'Leary is a really good coach. What happened?

Hard to believe how quickly the wheels came off at UCF. In 2013 they went 12-1 and beat #6 Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl in January 2014. George O'Leary is a really good coach. What happened?
Blake Bortles graduated. Speaking of Blake Bortles, you should a google image search for his girlfriend Lindsey Duke.

Reactions: Bwm57
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT