ADVERTISEMENT

A few thoughts

Jonny2TheP

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2007
Des Moines, IA
OSU is obnoxiously good. When you get a team that has that much talent and is as focused as they are while having fun, it’s a dangerous combination. It’s not an accident that they are destroying everyone they are playing. The only potential weakness that I see is their o line may have issues against an elite opponent. Besides that though, they are extremely good at every position group. And I’m sure people will jump on me for this, but you remove that OSU name, and I actually kind of enjoy watching them. I’m sure someone will find some dirt that a player or two of theirs had a run in with the law, but as a whole they have a bunch of guys that are very likable. Very talented, having fun, and laser focused.

All that being said, this NU team is just bad. No way around it. I don’t care how good OSU is, if you are a good team, you don’t lose a game by seven touchdowns. The offense is historically bad and while our defense is good, they aren’t creating enough turnovers like they’ve done in past years.

It’s incredible how little separation our WR’s get. There isn’t enough athleticism- teams know that so they just play tight man coverage, which makes it harder to run the ball. I actually think we could be a good running team if we had even a little bit of a passing game to compliment it. Playing against one of the best fronts in the country last night, the o line actually played pretty well. But when you don’t have a passing game, I don’t care how good your o line is. It becomes too much to overcome.

I personally applaud consistency with a coaching staff and the loyalty Fitz has shown, but it’s time for a change on the offensive side. Sure, we have faced some really good defenses this year, but this offense is borderline setting records in futility. Maybe it gets a little better in the second half of the season, but that’s only because it’s so bad right now.

Fields injuring Earnest Brown (not really, but kind of) was one of the most shocking displays of athleticism I’ve seen. Fields didn’t really know he was coming — but brushed him off like an 11 year old.

OSU beating Michigan again puts a nice cap on the regular season although I will be watching NU close out the season win a win over Illinois. OSU is a good school but when you have 50k kids enrolled at a time and a large state fan base.. I think it detracts from the alum experience. I will take the NU small loyal fan base over the multitudes. My twin sister went to OSU so I root for them except against us. Hope OSU can get to the playoff. As long term NU fans know.. NU will upset some good team. IOWA is in trouble. They will be smaller and slower than what NU just went up against. NO hit on IOWA but OSU is elite this year. Next week is the surprise game that keeps us coming back. Look for our RBS to play great. CATS by 3 with the long awaited clutch FG to put last night behind us.

we do not have any break away speed at receiver or an offensive line that can protect. If the conga offense continues. 123...kick...123...kick, the defense is going to get more depleted with injury because they're on the field so much.

we do not have any break away speed at receiver or an offensive line that can protect. If the conga offense continues. 123...kick...123...kick, the defense is going to get more depleted with injury because they're on the field so much.

We actually had the ball for longer than OSU last night.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
OSU is obnoxiously good. When you get a team that has that much talent and is as focused as they are while having fun, it’s a dangerous combination. It’s not an accident that they are destroying everyone they are playing. The only potential weakness that I see is their o line may have issues against an elite opponent. Besides that though, they are extremely good at every position group. And I’m sure people will jump on me for this, but you remove that OSU name, and I actually kind of enjoy watching them. I’m sure someone will find some dirt that a player or two of theirs had a run in with the law, but as a whole they have a bunch of guys that are very likable. Very talented, having fun, and laser focused.

All that being said, this NU team is just bad. No way around it. I don’t care how good OSU is, if you are a good team, you don’t lose a game by seven touchdowns. The offense is historically bad and while our defense is good, they aren’t creating enough turnovers like they’ve done in past years.

It’s incredible how little separation our WR’s get. There isn’t enough athleticism- teams know that so they just play tight man coverage, which makes it harder to run the ball. I actually think we could be a good running team if we had even a little bit of a passing game to compliment it. Playing against one of the best fronts in the country last night, the o line actually played pretty well. But when you don’t have a passing game, I don’t care how good your o line is. It becomes too much to overcome.

I personally applaud consistency with a coaching staff and the loyalty Fitz has shown, but it’s time for a change on the offensive side. Sure, we have faced some really good defenses this year, but this offense is borderline setting records in futility. Maybe it gets a little better in the second half of the season, but that’s only because it’s so bad right now.
Enough of the defeatist naysaying, you nattering nabobs of negativism. We are SO very close, and we know exactly what needs to be done to catch up and overtake everyone in the Big Ten, and to seriously contend for the national championship next season. You said it yourself Johnny2TheP, an additional 2 TDs per quarter will make all the difference, and the great thing is that it doesn’t matter if those come from the O, the D, Special Teams, or long-overdue make up calls by the refs. Yesterday’s game was a perfect example of our strategic shortcomings. We went for a field goal. When you need eight more TDs to seal the W, FGs should be taken out of the playbook. Can you imagine what an emotional and physical collapse we’d have seen on OSU’s part if we’d taken the 7 points that were staring us in the face right then and there.

Reactions: NUCat320
Enough of the defeatist naysaying, you nattering nabobs of negativism. We are SO very close, and we know exactly what needs to be done to catch up and overtake everyone in the Big Ten, and to seriously contend for the national championship next season. You said it yourself Johnny2TheP, an additional 2 TDs per quarter will make all the difference, and the great thing is that it doesn’t matter if those come from the O, the D, Special Teams, or long-overdue make up calls by the refs. Yesterday’s game was a perfect example of our strategic shortcomings. We went for a field goal. When you need eight more TDs to seal the W, FGs should be taken out of the playbook. Can you imagine what an emotional and physical collapse we’d have seen on OSU’s part if we’d taken the 7 points that were staring us in the face right then and there.

“An additional two TDs per quarter?” Oh, is that all?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT