ADVERTISEMENT

Another QB fail. Now what?

ParisCat

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2002
Our sole 2022 QB commit, Bennett Meredith, just decommitted. Coming off a top 10 ranking with unsurpassed facilities, this is what a disastrous 3-9 season hath wrought. Now what?

Marty running the wishbone with Porter and Hull is certainly an idea.
Minitron.

I wonder if Meredith was influenced by NU’s inaction with the coaching staff.

Wydner from Cocoa Beach has P5 offers from Ga Tech, Maryland, Pittsburgh. Nothing else P5. Visited Florida but no offer yet.

Yeesh.

The crazy thing is that, from Baz to Thorson, NU had about 15 years of pretty good play. (Demerit for a half-season of Brewfka.)

Coming off of catastrophically bad QB play for two of three seasons now.
Yeah, that used to be something we could count on. Since Thorson graduated, it’s been a bit of a black hole.

Doesn't anybody want to be the guy? The starting job is just there for the taking.
The thing is the guy for what? Play behind an undersized line, and a vanilla offensive philosophy, combined with a mixed bag of a wr corp? Not too many top guys will bite. What you will get is 3 ⭐ recruits that want to start off the bat and take a gamble. We might hit gold, but the way things have been of late I have a better shot at bagging a former Baywatch babe.

Our sole 2022 QB commit, Bennett Meredith, just decommitted. Coming off a top 10 ranking with unsurpassed facilities, this is what a disastrous 3-9 season hath wrought. Now what?
Facilities are low on the totem pole for reasons for picking where to play. They rank 3rd usually when NFL players are asked what got them to pick the school they went to. They want a program that can up their draft value and/or a promise to start from the get go to help them get to the promised land. Players care little for stadiums. Ryan Field needs a makeover, as it is the worst stadium in the BIG, but if it is being redone to attract better recruits, it will be a waste of money. The program has to sell itself on the ability to be able to get the kids where they want to go. Taj Fitz thus far isn't really helping out with the recruiting is it? No QB with any talent/ NFL aspirations will want to be part of an anemic offense that shows no imagination.

Facilities are low on the totem pole for reasons for picking where to play. They rank 3rd usually when NFL players are asked what got them to pick the school they went to. They want a program that can up their draft value and/or a promise to start from the get go to help them get to the promised land. Players care little for stadiums. Ryan Field needs a makeover, as it is the worst stadium in the BIG, but if it is being redone to attract better recruits, it will be a waste of money. The program has to sell itself on the ability to be able to get the kids where they want to go. Taj Fitz thus far isn't really helping out with the recruiting is it? No QB with any talent/ NFL aspirations will want to be part of an anemic offense that shows no imagination.
A) It sounds like this young man has family concerns that trump the game of college football for now… so our disappointed fans need to back off on this one. As far as I can tell it has nothing to do with our 2020 performance or prospects. Let’s just wish him and his family all the best.

B) In purely football terms… Losing this player stings - his high school tape reminded me of Trevor Siemian’s from HS, and he came from one of the best HS programs in the south (Hoover). But it is what it is.

C) Trevor and Joe Burrow were 3 star recruits. I’m sure @Gladeskat could dig up some 2 star recruits that would make your head spin. Who cares about star ratings if they can play.

Not sure how many non-QBs are discounting us because of NFL aspirations, but we've actually done well enough that Fitz & Co could spin that. As for QBs, yeah it would be helpful to have an NFL caliber QB. Although Siemian didn't lead us to much success, Thor and Ramsey did. Anyway, this isn't as easy to spin as current recruits were like 10 years old when Trevor played, but you could say Siemian, Thor and Ramsey all had a shot and Trevor stuck. Further you could find that quote of Brady's where he said he never started against (or lost to, ICR) an OSU QB. Trevor just beat Brady

Doesn't anybody want to be the guy? The starting job is just there for the taking.
Tell that to Johnson and Hilinski. I don't think they stand as case studies of "oh I'll just go to Northwestern and be the guy." Their fault? Ours?

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
Y’all are really missing the other boards. The Purplen Koolaid Klique are really on their game. They have a ND walk on coming into NU as the return of the Savior. This kid, who has yet to acknowledge an offer, let alone commit, is being paraded by the corbi crew as six star potential - the diamond that absolutely nobody else discovered. Well, except ND - and they offered a PWO spot.

Oh, and if you disagree, you get the classic gcg insults and one word posts (I really want to play scrabble against the guy some day) along with coral and corbi telling how little you know about football and what an idiot you are.

You have to pay to read this stuff but it’s great. Most of us are simply blind and stupid. Luckily corbi and coral can tell us how it really is.

Oh, and one guy is actually trying calm, ration reason to find evidence of humanity and brain activity within corbi. Classic fail, of course.

A) It sounds like this young man has family concerns that trump the game of college football for now… so our disappointed fans need to back off on this one. As far as I can tell it has nothing to do with our 2020 performance or prospects. Let’s just wish him and his family all the best.

B) In purely football terms… Losing this player stings - his high school tape reminded me of Trevor Siemian’s from HS, and he came from one of the best HS programs in the south (Hoover). But it is what it is.

C) Trevor and Joe Burrow were 3 star recruits. I’m sure @Gladeskat could dig up some 2 star recruits that would make your head spin. Who cares about star ratings if they can play.
Interesting that if he has family issues that he's considering going to Arizona State certainly not close to home

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Interesting that if he has family issues that he's considering going to Arizona State certainly not close to home
Well if that ultimately his decision and he enrolls this upcoming fall, then we should be defensive.

But there’s a little thing you should know about the internet: a lot of what you read on it is bullshit.

Y’all are really missing the other boards. The Purplen Koolaid Klique are really on their game. They have a ND walk on coming into NU as the return of the Savior. This kid, who has yet to acknowledge an offer, let alone commit, is being paraded by the corbi crew as six star potential - the diamond that absolutely nobody else discovered. Well, except ND - and they offered a PWO spot.

Oh, and if you disagree, you get the classic gcg insults and one word posts (I really want to play scrabble against the guy some day) along with coral and corbi telling how little you know about football and what an idiot you are.

You have to pay to read this stuff but it’s great. Most of us are simply blind and stupid. Luckily corbi and coral can tell us how it really is.

Oh, and one guy is actually trying calm, ration reason to find evidence of humanity and brain activity within corbi. Classic fail, of course.
You are a fool!

Twitter tells me that NU has just offered 2022 QB Jack Lausch out of Brother Rice, the Sun-Times player of the year. I understood that he’s a longtime Notre Dame football and baseball commit. What’s up with that? (Forgive me if this news is already Rock material, but Yahoo won’t let me subscribe — customer service is not their strong suit).

Twitter tells me that NU has just offered 2022 QB Jack Lausch out of Brother Rice, the Sun-Times player of the year. I understood that he’s a longtime Notre Dame football and baseball commit. What’s up with that? (Forgive me if this news is already Rock material, but Yahoo won’t let me subscribe — customer service is not their strong suit).
Preferred Walk-On to ND. Only reported offer is Indiana State, per rivals.

Reactions: ParisCat
He’s the savior.

These same idiots are now learning that Meredith is looking at other distant schools. Lol. After ripping any calling out a systemic issue.

meh, this is your new NUFB. Looking good moving forward. Maybe see can land a ND walk on to be our QB. No drop off, not like we ever landed a ND actual QB that did anything.

All signs pointing up. Recruits all stellar and committed. Team looking strong. And we will graduate everybody.

What are they talking about for ticket prices lately?

Reactions: Ryanfield124
Absolutely right. Who wants to be stuck in an awful offense if other opportunities present?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT