ADVERTISEMENT

Back on the ledge

It's not rare at all for a guy who played D-III and coached D-III to get a graduate assistant job at a P5 school to move up the coaching ranks, which is how Cushing got his foot in the door at Northwestern. It's also somewhat rare for GAs to get full-time jobs at P5 schools once their GA tenure is up, but it was something Walker liked to do and the loyalty shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone.

Incidentally, that's the same way that MacPherson started his career (played linebacker at DePauw, coached at DePauw, coached at Kenyon, hired as a defensive GA by Randy Walker, two-year stint at EMU as safeties coach, then back to NU as RB coach), but I don't hear anyone bitching about "HE PLAYED D-III BALL AS A LINEBACKER AND NEVER COACHED ON THE OFFENSIVE SIDE OF THE BALL ABOVE D-III BEFORE NORTHWESTERN... CAN'T WE HIRE A BETTER RBs COACH THAN THE SAFETIES COACH FROM EASTERN MICHIGAN!?" now that the running backs look pretty good.

Similarly, I didn't hear anyone whining "BUT HE WAS A NON-SCHOLARSHIP FCS QB AND NEVER HAD A JOB ELSEWHERE, CAN'T WE FIND A BETTER RECEIVERS COACH THAN THIS GUY?!" when Kevin Johns' wideouts were performing well after he was a QB at non-scholarship Dayton before being hired on as a GA at Northwestern before being promoted to running backs then wide receivers coach/passing game coordinator.

Total red herring (but I suspect you know this ... ). Nobody here is arguing that Cushing is a horrible coach because he only coached at Laverne & Shirley U.

They are, however, arguing that this fact is being used against Cushing as negative recruiting.

What posters here are arguing is that Cushing is a lousy coach (irrespective of where he played or where he previously coached) because of his failure to produce results the entire time he's been OL coach for NU.

So you're defending against an argument that is only bouncing around in your head. You're jousting with the wrong windmill - again.

Because it is not being made here.

Last edited:
Guess you can continue to apologize for Cushing but it's getting very lonely on your side. Not that it matters but I have not been all that impressed with McPherson either and yes I've met him and others very close to him.

I'm not apologizing at all. I've been skeptical of Cushing since before the 2016 season, including calling for his job (along with Springer's) after the WMU/ISU games. Yet another stinker from the OL would have me right back in that position.

I'm pointing out that "HAVE YOU SEEN HIS RESUME?!" is pointless piling on. There's plenty to complain about in light of the OL's performance against Duke.

Total red herring (but I suspect you know this and just don't care). Nobody here is arguing that Cushing is a horrible coach because he only coached at Laverne & Shirley U.

They are, however, arguing that this fact is being used against Cushing as negative recruiting.

What we are arguing here is that Cushing is a lousy coach regardless of where he played or where he previously coached - because of his failure to produce results the entire time he's been OL coach for NU.

So you're defending against an argument that is only bouncing around in your head. You're jousting with the wrong windmill - again.

Because it is not being made here.

See my response to Willy. I'm all for criticizing Cushing because of the OL's performance (and have done so in the past, including flatly calling for him to be fired), but the resume-driven criticism is unnecessary piling on.

See my response to Willy. I'm all for criticizing Cushing because of the OL's performance (and have done so in the past, including flatly calling for him to be fired), but the resume-driven criticism is unnecessary piling on.

Ok fine, fair enough. I'll amend: Nobody was making that lousy argument --- until Willy just did. I agree with you, GCG. It's a lousy argument -- unless it has to do with its impact on negative recruiting. Then, like it or not, it's just a fact we're stuck with.

Last edited:
That's hilarious -but true.

It's not whether or not. It's all about counting the reasons why at this point.

Is there a single person here willing to make a case for Cushing retaining his job?

Anyone, Buehler, Buehler, Buehler?

That's hilarious -but true.

It's not whether or not. It's all about counting the reasons why at this point.

Is there a single person here willing to make a case for Cushing retaining his job?

Anyone, Buehler, Buehler, Buehler?
Coach Fitz, apparently. It was simply a matter of guys missing in the one-on-one battles. Will be addressed at practice tomorrow. Nothing to see here, carry on. Stats are for losers.

Reactions: NJCat
Coach Fitz, apparently. It was simply a matter of guys missing in the one-on-one battles. Will be addressed at practice tomorrow. Nothing to see here, carry on. Stats are for losers.

Is W-L a stat? I suppose you are right. That loss was for losers. Participation trophies for everyone that tried hard and bonuses for the coaches cuz they are swell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT