ADVERTISEMENT

Bad news at practice today

I remember when Kalin Lucas tore his achilles back in 2010, it took him 10-11 months until he was fully back to the player had been previously. I can only imagine football is tougher than basketball when it comes to this injury.
Probably not much difference between the two sports in terms of stress on the lower joints. Both require explosive movements.

Six months is a gen pop number for Achilles. Nearly every Achilles injury a related to athletes has what press would call a "setback" but doctors would consider almost expected. Its one of those injuries that you feel great (and things look good) and can get cleared, but repetitive stress of playing football and how you heal (or lack) means you have to retreat the injury (disclaimer - not a doctor, but one put me on shelf for a year, so know it well).

A study on football players show for those that are actually able to return, 11 months is the typical recovery. Caveat on this study is that it is old, but my rudimentary understanding is that things haven't changed that much).

http://lermagazine.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

Another more recent article that shows 36% of players never play again

https://www.si.com/edge/2015/04/16/rothman-sports-medicine-achilles-injuries-kobe-bryant

To summarize - for football players, I would expect 9 months minimum (obviously there are exceptions), and don't expect the same level of power/push off. As stated above, injury particularly bad for skill positions.

Persa's were not "normal" setbacks.

Last summer, I speculated that Sirk could return for the Duke game after he tore his achilles in the spring, and a few posters jumped all over me like Mean Joe Greene. He originally tore it in February, and there was talk over the summer of him playing in September. I supported this notion, and got the Flat Earth treatment. Then he had a setback and that was it for him in 2016. I did some homework and realized that 6-month returns were rare.

Was a state tournament level racquetball player when I completely severed my right achilles tendon. Almost had to have holes drilled through my heel to pull it down with wires, but the surgeon had a 3/4 inch stub left that he could attach the upper part (which had flown up into my calf) to. Two casts and 4 months later was walking and jogging, but no quick acceleration. Was told to never play racquetball again. Hence new sport of kiteboarding.

Persa's were not "normal" setbacks.

While that doesn't change the point (and you likely have inside info on it),
https://dailynorthwestern.com/2011/...onth-helped-lead-to-removal-against-illinois/

"The senior quarterback revealed Tuesday that he had a setback in June which set him a month back in his recovery from a ruptured Achilles tendon. That month turned out to be exactly how much time Persa missed of Northwestern’s 2011 campaign.

“I was pretty upset,” Persa said about the June incident. “I just planted my foot wrong and I strained it a little bit.”
"

This is exactly what I meant by normal setbacks. From the same article,

"The June setback played a factor in coach Pat Fitzgerald’s decision to sit Persa at the end of NU’s 38-35 loss to Illinois on Saturday. The quarterback was hit on the Cats’ second play of the fourth quarter, which caused the tendon to tighten up a bit.

“I felt a weird pull in the back of my leg and then it got tight,” Persa said. “I knew nothing tore and nothing was strained too badly so I wasn’t too worried. It was just a matter of trying to get loose again.”

Persa said that he was told by the team doctors after the game that these sorts of tweaks were normal. He said the various setbacks he endured during his long road to recovery were much worse than the tweak he felt in the game against the Fighting Illini. Persa will not need to pass any more tests in order to play against Michigan and he will make the ultimate call as to whether or not he plays against the Wolverines."

What the hell is a "normal" vs. an "abnormal" setback anyways?

When I had my shoulder cleaned out after tearing the cuff and labrum (partially), there was a clear pattern. I would do my rehab, push it up a notch, get inflammation and soreness, dial it back for a month, and then resume my rehab. This cycle occurred 3 times in the first 12 months after surgery, then one more time. At about 18 months, it pretty much stopped and I felt that I fully recovered, albeit not with some of the strength exhibited prior to the injury (the muscle tear accounted for that).

So setbacks are pretty much "normal" in any type of soft tissue injury requiring surgery. A setback interrupts your recovery routine. I imagine that they are the norm, rather than the exception.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT