ADVERTISEMENT

Bama

How did OSU end up with a middle linebacker in single coverage on Davonta Smith???

Makes complete sense that Saban switched to focusing on offense. When you have such an embarrassment of riches in terms of top-flight talent, it's just unstoppable.

DeVonta Smith is incredible obviously, but Jones is the perfect QB for them, Harris is a great RB, and that line is terrific.

There aren't that many top teams that try to win like us at this point. It's all about flashy high scoring offense it seems.

Makes complete sense that Saban switched to focusing on offense. When you have such an embarrassment of riches in terms of top-flight talent, it's just unstoppable.

DeVonta Smith is incredible obviously, but Jones is the perfect QB for them, Harris is a great RB, and that line is terrific.

There aren't that many top teams that try to win like us at this point. It's all about flashy high scoring offense it seems.
Agree. I’ve been really impressed with Jones. He may make a heck of a pro QB. And Smith is at a completely different level than everyone else on the field.

Reactions: ricko654321

You kind of get the sense that as long as Saban is coaching at Bama, they're gonna win the title. He is the GOAT. His "process" just churns out amazing teams year after year, even though he cycles through coordinators every couple of years. Guy is amazing.

You kind of get the sense that as long as Saban is coaching at Bama, they're gonna win the title. He is the GOAT. His "process" just churns out amazing teams year after year, even though he cycles through coordinators every couple of years. Guy is amazing.
Yeah, only time they're vulnerable is when they're in a weird in-between year. When their talent is fully mature and clicking like this squad, they're basically unbeatable.

Basically means Alabama is title favorites probably 2 or 3 years out of 4. And even then the only teams that can challenge them are Ohio State/Clemson when they have the right squad lined up and maybe another SEC team if they're peaking in the right year (LSU or Georgia or Florida or Auburn or A&M).

You should watch the coaches Film Room on ESPNNews. They really give a good analysis of what is going on.

Plus, there are no commercials.

Reactions: Bwm57
Shaun Wade has been less than impressive in both the Clemson and Alabama games. He has not played D. Smith much but the Clemson receivers turned him inside out and now he looks like an ordinary DB rather than a 1st round pick

Devonte Smith might be the most dominate college WR I’ve seen.

Separately, did OSU watch any film? Did they even attempt to game plan to not have Smith steam roll them?

Ryan Day: “Credit to Alabama, that’s an outstanding football team and I’ve got the utmost respect for Coach Saban and his staff and his players. We knew it was going to be a heavyweight fight and that’s exactly what it was. We had a great week of practice but unfortunately today we just lost some of our one on one battles. So we’ve got to regroup, and take a look at the film, take a look at our technique. Again, credit to Alabama.”

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Ryan Day: “Credit to Alabama, that’s an outstanding football team and I’ve got the utmost respect for Coach Saban and his staff and his players. We knew it was going to be a heavyweight fight and that’s exactly what it was. We had a great week of practice but unfortunately today we just lost some of our one on one battles. So we’ve got to regroup, and take a look at the film, take a look at our technique. Again, credit to Alabama.”
Coach Fitz mode.

Agree. I’ve been really impressed with Jones. He may make a heck of a pro QB. And Smith is at a completely different level than everyone else on the field.
Jaylen Waddle is a great WR too. He basically missed the whole year and played yesterday 11 weeks after breaking his ankle, He’ll be a Pro stud too.

Reactions: zeek55
They'd hold Bama to 45 not 52...........

Give me a break.

Everyone we played this year thought they were going to put up 35 on us. Nobody put up 20 without the help of multiple turnovers. Bama wouldn't have gotten 45 on us. Maybe over 20, but not 45. We'd have done better than Notre Dame for sure.

Last edited:
Sark might have been a boozer, but he sure runs some interesting plays. Takes advantage of the talent gap.
That jet sweep motion with Smith when he was in isolation coverage, and bounced back into the flat and beat his guy to the EZ corner was fantastic.

Compare that to the Bears, who on fourth and short roll out MT on a naked bootleg with one receiver option...

I would’ve loved to see our D at full strength against Bama. That includes all our DTs and Newsome who went out halfway through OSU. The point total may not look good though because I think our offense would not do too much against Bama and our D would be on the field a LOT.

Reactions: drewjin

He is an excellent coach, but it doesn't hurt that he gets whatever he wants at Alabama. That makes a difference. He did a good job at Michigan State, but I don't recall him winning national titles there, or even the Big Ten on most occasions.

Devonte Smith might be the most dominate college WR I’ve seen.

Separately, did OSU watch any film? Did they even attempt to game plan to not have Smith steam roll them?

I thought that maybe the Heisman people reached to find him, but watching him torch duh-OSU, I'm now with them.

Sermon couldn't cover Smith any better than Borland.......
Sure, but he might have been able to help keep Smith sitting on the sidelines, which is even better than covering him. Even a completely healthy Sermon and completely healthy Fields would probably have just made the score a bit closer, though.

Reactions: drewjin
Sure, but he might have been able to help keep Smith sitting on the sidelines, which is even better than covering him. Even a completely healthy Sermon and completely healthy Fields would probably have just made the score a bit closer, though.

The OSU RB ran very well, not sure how much Sermon would have done. But I agree that I think OSU's best shot was a healthy Fields and Sermon with lots of read option that keeps the ball and wears down Bama. Was OSU missing some DL--that may have just been too much. Amazing to see that ND was a very talented team, Clemson with a healthy QB crushed them, OSU crushed Clemson and yet Bama was good enough to steam roll OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT