ADVERTISEMENT

Barttorvik (this is the one that matters) slots NU 47th

Medill90

Jan 30, 2011
Similar cluster of Big Ten teams...but more compacted...some reordering.

Indicates that NU will be .500 in conference (from his lips to god's ears...)

Here 'tis

I am totally unfamiliar with Barttorvik. Why is he any different or better than Pomeroy or anybody else?

I am totally unfamiliar with Barttorvik. Why is he any different or better than Pomeroy or anybody else?
He does the same sorts of things that Pomeroy does but has his own model. Not sure who's proven to be more accurate over the years. His website has a lot of customization available and different weighted model options, so it's another data point in the sea of basketball analytics. Pretty sure he actually lives in Evanston though is a Badger fan.

He does the same sorts of things that Pomeroy does but has his own model. Not sure who's proven to be more accurate over the years. His website has a lot of customization available and different weighted model options, so it's another data point in the sea of basketball analytics. Pretty sure he actually lives in Evanston though is a Badger fan.

He outlines the differences between his algorithm and Ken Pomeroy's on his site. He also is very funny, when you click on the link about him, you get a Rick Ashley YouTube video.

He has a current national ranking of players up....from memory, Taylor is top 11 and Turner is top 40.

Reactions: NUCat320
In other words, this dude is prognosticating that we will make the ncaa tourney this spring?? If Greer is serviceable, I would whole-heartedly agree. This year's version of Cats may be the most talented in our history!? I just hope CC is able to develop them all expeditiously. I am just curious- is there any possibility that Nance might play center for us this year? Is he now our tallest player? Maybe he could play point like the Phil 76'ers point guard? Just in case he is even better than Benson?

He has a current national ranking of players up....from memory, Taylor is top 11 and Turner is top 40.
This is just the incoming transfers. AJ is 39, just slightly behind former NU target Evan Boudreaux.Matt Mooney is #8, pretty much the same as Ryan.

His model projects team stats for NU as follows:

Vic 15.2 ppg, 6.2 reb, 2.5 assists
Dererk 13.1/7.4/1.8
Taylor 11.8/3.1/1.5
AJ 10.2/4/2.5

I think Taylor will be the leading scorer but could definitely see Vic "stuffing the stat sheet" as CCC likes to say....

http://www.barttorvik.com/rosters19.php?t=Northwestern

Those points per game projections look about right to me. However, I have Taylor more around 15 to 16ppg and Law at 13 to 14ppg. I think these four will be a very strong core for the team and that Law could perhaps benefit the most from all the dynamic scoring options. Based on this model we need Law and Taylor to score around 27-30ppg to be successful. I think he is correct.

Obviously, under the right circumstances, I believe Nance could play all three front court positions. However, due to his weight and strength this year I think his best position would be at small forward. Nance would be a mismatch for most small forwards. He would be able to take advantage of his post game as well as be able to shoot over defenders from the perimeter. defensively, I am excited about the prospects of seeing Nance and Pardon play together!

Reactions: DaCat and NJCat
In other words, this dude is prognosticating that we will make the ncaa tourney this spring?? If Greer is serviceable, I would whole-heartedly agree. This year's version of Cats may be the most talented in our history!? I just hope CC is able to develop them all expeditiously. I am just curious- is there any possibility that Nance might play center for us this year? Is he now our tallest player? Maybe he could play point like the Phil 76'ers point guard? Just in case he is even better than Benson?
Actually, no. He has a projected tournament field and NU is 6th from getting in. But his model has Loyola with a poorer chance of making it than NU, so take it with a grain (or a chunk) of NaCl......

Actually, no. He has a projected tournament field and NU is 6th from getting in. But his model has Loyola with a poorer chance of making it than NU, so take it with a grain (or a chunk) of NaCl......

Isn't the Missouri Valley Conference basically a one-bid league now? Looks like he projects Illinois State a little higher than Loyola so that would make it tough for the Ramblers to get in.

Definitely extremely similar to Pomeroy in methodology (which is why their ranks end up very close for vast majority of teams), but also a totally free and much cooler website to play around with. I've been paying for KenPom ever since he started charging but Torvik lets you play with the data sets in all sorts of fashions where KenPom is very basic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT