ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Eligible -- can we do better than Detroit?

I'm fine with Detroit or anywhere else, just hoping we don't end up with another Tennessee the past 2 times. I have 0 interest in going up against a top 10-20 talent team that underperformed the season.

Give me a good matchup pls.

I think NU will be more appealing than just about any West program except Iowa. No way are Badger fans traveling this season.

NU is an objectively cool story in a pretty putrid conference.

Reactions: drewjin
I'm fine with Detroit or anywhere else, just hoping we don't end up with another Tennessee the past 2 times. I have 0 interest in going up against a top 10-20 talent team that underperformed the season.

Give me a good matchup pls.
Voles currently leading UGa .... if they manage to win, you won't see them, guaranteed.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
If the AD has any clue, yeah right, he will advocate for a bowl game closest to a large alumni base or destination like Vegas.

I don’t see the alumni “traveling” in large numbers this year to just go to a bowl game.

Last edited:
Reactions: phatcat
>>>Now you’ve got my interest. What would it take for NU to make it back to Yankee Stadium??

The "pick order" is Nashville, Vegas, NYC, PHX, Detroit. There are restrictions on who can get picked where, based on prior appearances. For example, Minnesota can't go to NYC, and Wisconsin can't go to PHX or Vegas.

>>>Now you’ve got my interest. What would it take for NU to make it back to Yankee Stadium??

The "pick order" is Nashville, Vegas, NYC, PHX, Detroit. There are restrictions on who can get picked where, based on prior appearances. For example, Minnesota can't go to NYC, and Wisconsin can't go to PHX or Vegas.

Thanks for clarifying. Looks like NYC is a real possibility. 🤞

I actually and literally don't care where we go as long as we don't find ourselves in a 2000 Alamo Bowl scenario where a halfway decent season is spoiled by a gross mismatch against a team with an axe to grind. Tennessee in Nashville sends that kind of chill up my spine.

Honestly, every other scenario besides that sounds fine to me...all things being equal, I think I'd prefer a Pac-12 or ACC opponent this season, but Big 12 equivalents seem beatable. Detroit might actually yield one of the tougher matchups in the MAC champs.

Reactions: rmndcat and zeek55
They are starting to turn it around in Detroit. Downside is we may end up with a tough MAC team that plays lights out
I went to a friend's wedding last May that was on Mackinac Island, but I flew into Detroit Metro and stayed one night with another friend as we drove up from the Metro area. The entire southern part of Detroit was under construction it seemed like. They are putting in condos, really nice upscale apartments, etc, as it seems they were starting to get rid of the older run down areas. It is making somewhat of a comeback for sure, but the downtown area has been making a comeback for awhile. There will be lots of things to do if NU plays its bowl at Ford Field. As long as the weather stays mild for that week, it should be very fun.

I actually and literally don't care where we go as long as we don't find ourselves in a 2000 Alamo Bowl scenario where a halfway decent season is spoiled by a gross mismatch against a team with an axe to grind. Tennessee in Nashville sends that kind of chill up my spine.

Honestly, every other scenario besides that sounds fine to me...all things being equal, I think I'd prefer a Pac-12 or ACC opponent this season, but Big 12 equivalents seem beatable. Detroit might actually yield one of the tougher matchups in the MAC champs.
I was informed that the mac Champs don't play the Detroit bowl

I went to a friend's wedding last May that was on Mackinac Island, but I flew into Detroit Metro and stayed one night with another friend as we drove up from the Metro area. The entire southern part of Detroit was under construction it seemed like. They are putting in condos, really nice upscale apartments, etc, as it seems they were starting to get rid of the older run down areas. It is making somewhat of a comeback for sure, but the downtown area has been making a comeback for awhile. There will be lots of things to do if NU plays its bowl at Ford Field. As long as the weather stays mild for that week, it should be very fun.
The locals burned down a lot of the empty abandoned buildings in Detroit around Halloween "devils night" to make room for all the new constructions

I prefer Detroit because I was already going to Ann Arbor between Christmas and New Year's and it will not take much convincing to swing by Detroit while I'm up there.

That said, it's all house money right now. I'll echo other sentiments that as long as it's not a 2015 Tennessee or 2000 Nebraska, I'm happy with whatever. I just can't believe we're having this conversation.

Toledo and MIami, OH are very good. I am an EMU alum and hoping they can win next weekend to even make a bowl. If NU draws either Toledo or Miami, it will be a good game. The Cats will definitely earn the W if they face and beat either one.

I prefer Detroit because I was already going to Ann Arbor between Christmas and New Year's and it will not take much convincing to swing by Detroit while I'm up there.

That said, it's all house money right now. I'll echo other sentiments that as long as it's not a 2015 Tennessee or 2000 Nebraska, I'm happy with whatever. I just can't believe we're having this conversation.
Yeah. It's nice have the first Sunday in December to look forward to. I'd gotten used to that until 2021.

Toledo and MIami, OH are very good. I am an EMU alum and hoping they can win next weekend to even make a bowl. If NU draws either Toledo or Miami, it will be a good game. The Cats will definitely earn the W if they face and beat either one.
If they are both in mac champ game we will play neither of them in Detroit I was told. Not sure if this now is true

NU is currently in standalone second place in the west. Teams like Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Nebraska, are all going to be be struggling and clawing to get to 6 wins. NU isn’t probably going to Detroit.

I’m not sure of current rules, but it used to be that bowls could select teams within a game of one another. If still the case, a 7th win would make a world of difference.

I’m not sure of current rules, but it used to be that bowls could select teams within a game of one another. If still the case, a 7th win would make a world of difference.
It's not that strict anymore. Mostly there are rules against taking one team too often, e.g., a bowl is required to take at least 5 different teams in 6 years.

Reactions: NUCat320
Rooting for a scenario where Nebby, Minny and Illinois are all stuck on 5 wins.

At that point we'd be in a 7 win logjam with Maryland, Rutgers and Wisconsin. Doubt we'd fall to Detroit in this scenario. Would be Phoenix or Vegas with an outside shot at Nashville.

Pinstripe will grab Rutgers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT