ADVERTISEMENT

Brutal season for you guys so far

Booty Maximus

May 29, 2001
I see your kenpom "luck" ranking is almost last in D1 hoops (#354). Was really hoping you could break through against scUM. Now you're hopefully going to wait another week to do that.

Well, here’s some luck. Illinois had two preseason all Big Ten/all Americans.

It doesn’t look like either will play tomorrow.

I’ve never seen a season like this. Kofi suspension, Curbelo concussion, Hutcherson sports hernia, Frazier separated right shoulder then knee injury vs. KState, flu hits team hard, covid pause, Kofi concussion., etc. Couldn’t make it up.

Well, here’s some luck. Illinois had two preseason all Big Ten/all Americans.

It doesn’t look like either will play tomorrow.

I’ve never seen a season like this. Kofi suspension, Curbelo concussion, Hutcherson sports hernia, Frazier separated right shoulder then knee injury vs. KState, flu hits team hard, covid pause, Kofi concussion., etc. Couldn’t make it up.
Purdue beat us by twenty without their top scorer, so save us your excuses. :D

The "luck" ranking has been in the bottom 5 in all of D1 for 4 or 5 of Collins' 9 years at the helm.

This factor is believed to be an indication of choking.

If I recall correctly, it compares final scores in each game against the score at various points in the 2nd half.

I’d be very surprised if someone ever contended that Bill Carmody would engender more confidence in his players than Chris Collins. Given this, and since scheme does not win close games (great players do), I still don’t see Collins’ coaching as the main reason for losing close games.

Reactions: willycat
The old W-R was always at its best when it was the many fans of a good conference team versus two full student sections. Nothing like trying to drown out the state school’s attempts at spelling. While this has turned into another crappy year probably heading nowhere, there are two huge games I hope we can find a way to win — this one and the Miller Kopp return game.

Reactions: drewjin
I’d be very surprised if someone ever contended that Bill Carmody would engender more confidence in his players than Chris Collins. Given this, and since scheme does not win close games (great players do), I still don’t see Collins’ coaching as the main reason for losing close games.
I would absolutely make this contention in regard to game-ending situations. As games wound down, Carmody ran plays that he had confidence the team could execute--backdoor plays for layups, well-practiced out-of-bounds plays, or plays to get open shots for our best shooters where he/they had the confidence they could make them. We saw game-winning shots like this from Vukusic, Moore, Jenkins, Shurna, Coble...even Brandon Lee. We also saw guys miss shots at the buzzer, but we generally got pretty good looks.

Collins, on the other hand, seems to believe in putting the ball in the hands of his best guys and giving them an opportunity to make plays. This has resulted more times than not in guys like B-Mac and Buie turning the ball over when the game is on the line--or us not getting a great look.

Collins takes more of the NBA approach, which has been far less successful.

Last edited:
I would absolutely make this contention in regard to game-ending situations. As games wound down, Carmody ran plays that he had confidence the team could execute--backdoor plays for layups, well-practiced out-of-bounds plays, or plays to get open shots for our best shooters where he/they had the confidence they could make them. We saw game-winning shots like this from Vukusic, Moore, Jenkins, Shurna, Coble...even Brandon Lee. We also saw guys miss shots at the buzzer, but we generally got pretty good looks.

Collins, on the other hand, seems to believe in putting the ball in the hands of his best guys and giving them an opportunity to make plays. This has resulted more times than not in guys like B-Mac and Buie turning the ball over when the game is on the line--or us not getting a great look.

Collins takes more of the NBA approach, which has been far less successful.
Even if I did agree with you on their differing approach, it’s not that relevant, as we have had very few last second losses. We tend to lose games over the last 3-5 minutes, and then it’s not a buzzer beater / last possession situation.

Guarding him with 3 6’11 guys didn’t work. The 6’7 guy did a helleva job considering.
The right strategy was to foul Cockburn as soon as he got the ball down low and make him make free throws.
Career 67% Free throw shooter.
The numbers work out.

I was surprised that we didn't use up more fouls.

Oh, Nicholson is closer to 7'1" than 7'0"
Nance and Young are probably 6' 9 1/2"
Williams may not even be 6'7"

The right strategy was to foul Cockburn as soon as he got the ball down low and make him make free throws.
Career 67% Free throw shooter.
The numbers work out.

I was surprised that we didn't use up more fouls.

Oh, Nicholson is closer to 7'1" than 7'0"
Nance and Young are probably 6' 9 1/2"
Williams may not even be 6'7"
Williams was our best defender on Kofi. I was there. Nance was second best.

Our best defender on Kofi was the discipline to double team him when he put the ball on the floor. Combined with being able to make him get the ball far enough from the basket that he needed to dribble. And get a tad lucky Frazier et all were not shooting well from 3. Even Plummer got into foul trouble and that helped

This was, IMO, a good strategy. Kofi is no Dickerson when it comes to passing off the post. And could, of course, be adjusted is 3’s we’re dropping.

Somehow, down the stretch, that all went out the window. We fronted him and got balls thrown over our defenders and we did not double team. He killed us in the last 5

Last edited:
Sometimes when I go to the game, I see it one way, then I watch it on tv and realize I was way off.
Williams tried to front him and had back side help from Nance. It wasn’t great but it was the best we could do with our dropping high side help, which we also tried. They lobbed over Nance and especially Young forcing a change. MN would have fouled out in six minutes. Maybe you are right and the strategy should have been hack a shack. Double and you likely get destroyed from 3 point land or a cutter. The guy is a flat out monster. He was also gassed after about 4 trips up and down the court. I think the lost opportunity was not trying to make Kofi work on defense. He dogged it back and we walked the ball up.

Williams tried to front him and had back side help from Nance. It wasn’t great but it was the best we could do with our dropping high side help, which we also tried. They lobbed over Nance and especially Young forcing a change. MN would have fouled out in six minutes. Maybe you are right and the strategy should have been hack a shack. Double and you likely get destroyed from 3 point land or a cutter. The guy is a flat out monster. He was also gassed after about 4 trips up and down the court. I think the lost opportunity was not trying to make Kofi work on defense. He dogged it back and we walked the ball up.
Needed to force feed nance on the perimeter when Kofi was guarding him. That was a clear advantage they didn’t take. Off the dribble and the mid range game kofi couldn’t handle. Woulda made him work and run. I think williams played the best D on him tonight. Needed a lumpkin/pardon double team on Happ effort defensively to shut down him though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT