ADVERTISEMENT

Calm down

BleedPurple2009

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2009
1. Duke is a good football team. (Or was with Jones and an NFL corner.)

2. NU has a solid tradition of playing terribly in the beginning of the season, whether it’s Fitz outcoaching himself by shuffling the offensive line last year or switching QBs this year, it’s just part of the deal.

3. We will know a lot more about how good this team is after the Michigan game.

4. This game will have ZERO impact on whether NU wins the division. They are still in first place. Make it to Indy and no one will care that they sucked against Duke in week two.

/end rant

Seriously. Are we not allowed to spend one day being a little disappointed that we lost a game? Geez.

I was disappointed for about 7 seconds. Duke, with Jones, was the better team yesterday.

Reactions: mikewebb68
I was disappointed for about 7 seconds. Duke, with Jones, was the better team yesterday.

And at the end of the game I asked myself, would I rather be in Duke's shoes having won the game but likely (once again) having an injured quarterback for possibly the rest of the season, or have won the game, but have seen our quarterback injured in the game. That said, we will probably never know the full extent of Jones's injury just like last year when Duke kept it a big secret, but if they go on another 5 game losing streak after playing us we will again know why.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gladeskat
And at the end of the game I asked myself, would I rather be in Duke's shoes having won the game but likely (once again) having an injured quarterback for possibly the rest of the season, or have lost the game, but have seen our quarterback injured in the game. That said, we will probably never know the full extent of Jones's injury just like last year when Duke kept it a big secret, but if they go on another 5 game losing streak after playing us we will again know why.

Yup, posted a thread about this very topic. And we do know the extent of the injury, it was a broken clavicle.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Duke was better because their staff outcoached ours, even without Jones: that is the sticking point.

I was disappointed for less than 7 seconds as I figured it was a loss, as soon as I figured out our offensive game plan and that clueless QB shuffling. We didn’t lose due to a lack of player talent, but rather a lack of offensive coaching talent.

We didn’t lose due to a lack of player talent, but rather a lack of offensive coaching talent.

I’m not an ardent supporter of the offensive staff by any means, but based on the fact that this happens every year in our OOC games I get the feeling Fitz kinda says “we’re sticking to base offense, win or lose, until Big Ten season.”

Not surprisingly, we lose with that strategy when we play good teams.

I’m not an ardent supporter of the offensive staff by any means, but based on the fact that this happens every year in our OOC games I get the feeling Fitz kinda says “we’re sticking to base offense, win or lose, until Big Ten season.”

Not surprisingly, we lose with that strategy when we play good teams.
Sorry, I can’t tell if you’re agreeing or disagreeing with anything there. I think you’re agreeing that it’s a losing strategy, but you seem indifferent. Care to clarify?
I like poop.
Ok, that makes sense and I get where you’re coming from. At least you know what you’re in for offensively.

Reactions: Fitz51
Sorry, I can’t tell if you’re agreeing or disagreeing with anything there. I think you’re agreeing that it’s a losing strategy, but you seem indifferent. Care to clarify?[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, but I mostly blame Fitz (not McCall) - I think he basically handcuffs the team for the OOC games to start the year.

It’s more disappointing that Duke is a better team - you can’t aspire to be Stanford if you can’t even be Duke. I get a lot of programs fielding a better team, I don’t get Duke, that’s disappointing.

Reactions: seavue617
2. NU has a solid tradition of playing terribly in the beginning of the season, whether it’s Fitz outcoaching himself by shuffling the offensive line last year or switching QBs this year, it’s just part of the deal.

That hasn't always been the case and more so, shouldn't be as unlike programs on the semester schedule, NU players can just concentrate in FB (watch tons of film) and not have to worry about classes til later.

It’s more disappointing that Duke is a better team - you can’t aspire to be Stanford if you can’t even be Duke. I get a lot of programs fielding a better team, I don’t get Duke, that’s disappointing.
Duke is not allowed to be a good team?

How do you think teams felt after being beaten by Northwestern? Iowa fans think Iowa is our Super Bowl.

How do you think teams felt after being beaten by Northwestern? Iowa fans think Iowa is our Super Bowl.

Doesn't matter what other teams think. Windy is right. There is no reason we shouldn't expect to be able to beat Duke regularly. As we did basically until last year.

I don't even think there's a reason to assume that Stanford can reach heights we can't. We used to be the stronger program. We can be again.

Duke? Not sure when they were considered the stronger program, though 2 in a row makes something of a statement. Then again, I'm sure ND doesn't think they are lower than us just because we beat them two in a row. Let's make it three this year and let's see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT