ADVERTISEMENT

Collins top candidate for Wake

Exactly. I’m not commenting on whether he’s a good coach or not. Just saying that perception matters here. Wake has to be able to sell this to boosters and fans. I think the resume Collins has on paper is a tough sell for Wake.
Just as a point of reference, his record in BIG last 3 years is 13-47. That’s a real tough sell to boosters.

It is centered at a board of trustees who do not want to, or know what it takes to, build a consistently successful program at a P5 level. Yes, this bleeds into admissions decisions, resource allocation, etc.

Collins is only operating with one hand behind his back because Phillips is an absolute master and untied the other hand by getting the facilities done. Phillips is by far the best athletic director in the country with what he has done at NU. The athletic department is very steady and very good, but there are institutional barriers that they simply can’t remove.

We can’t understate how absolutely lucky we are to have Fitz, that he was a big time player for us and a proud alum...he would not have stayed here otherwise. No coach would have the patience to deal with this group of numbskulls otherwise. Also, don’t forget that he has also used other jobs as leverage to get what he needed from the admin.

Well said. Post of the year.

Reactions: willycat
GatoLouco said:

I can understand why Collins would want the job. But can’t understand why WF would want him.

Because he’s a good coach who did the impossible at the worst basketball program in the P5 with one hand tied behind his back by a dumbass administration. He’s very well respected in coaching circles. Some of you know it alls are hilarious.
[/quote]
Look man, I am not the greatest fan of CC. But I do not call for him being replaced before 21/22 either.

But, in any case, my comment had nothing to do with him being a good coach or not. Simply don’t see how it would be smart for them to pull the trigger on CC. It’s a hard sell for their fans and boosters. It’s not an established coach like Jim Beilein. It’s a coach they could believe is good but does not have the resume to back it up. Too many bad seasons. And, therefore, it would be a big gamble. After a big busted gamble with Manning. I’d think self preservation on the part of the hiring people at WF would prevent them from gambling with their reputation and career.

Wake should hire Baldwin and try to get PBJ and Christie. they could probably actually get a fab five type class there
I know you're connected to the program. For the good of Northwestern basketball I hope Coach Collin still wants to be here and still thinks he can win.

Because he’s a good coach who did the impossible at the worst basketball program in the P5 with one hand tied behind his back by a dumbass administration. He’s very well respected in coaching circles. Some of you know it alls are hilarious.
Look man, I am not the greatest fan of CC. But I do not call for him being replaced before 21/22 either.

But, in any case, my comment had nothing to do with him being a good coach or not. Simply don’t see how it would be smart for them to pull the trigger on CC. It’s a hard sell for their fans and boosters. It’s not an established coach like Jim Beilein. It’s a coach they could believe is good but does not have the resume to back it up. Too many bad seasons. And, therefore, it would be a big gamble. After a big busted gamble with Manning. I’d think self preservation on the part of the hiring people at WF would prevent them from gambling with their reputation and career.[/QUOTE]
CCC will be just fine. I bet he is gone 2-3 years from now and if will be his choice. He’ll get a twenty win season and bolt, fed up with the BS with Admissions and others.

"Demanding???" The NU fan base has the lowest expectations of any fan base I've ever seen.

Yet some of us want the only coach that’s ever brought us to an NCAA appearance or won an NCAA game to leave. Sounds demanding to me...

Wake fired Dino Gaudio after 3 seasons, where he turned the program around from Skip Prosser's disastrous last two seasons, because he didn't go far enough in the NCAA tournament, which he went to in his 2nd and 3rd seasons. Maybe after the last decade of 0 seasons with a winning conference record they've realized their error, but if you're Collins, do you really want to go into an environment like that where you could get fired because you're only one of the best 32 teams in the country instead of the best 16?

Wake fired Dino Gaudio after 3 seasons, where he turned the program around from Skip Prosser's disastrous last two seasons, because he didn't go far enough in the NCAA tournament, which he went to in his 2nd and 3rd seasons. Maybe after the last decade of 0 seasons with a winning conference record they've realized their error, but if you're Collins, do you really want to go into an environment like that where you could get fired because you're only one of the best 32 teams in the country instead of the best 16?
I look at it from wakes perspective. Collins record in BIG is 43-87, with a last place and next to last place finish past 2 years (and a likely lady place finish if they have a 20-21 season. How in the world do you sell that to your fan base?

The tweet that started this entire thread ... has been deleted. I wonder if a booster sent out Collins' name as a trial balloon just to show other power brokers that it was filled with lead.

Reactions: NUCat320
I look at it from wakes perspective. Collins record in BIG is 43-87, with a last place and next to last place finish past 2 years (and a likely lady place finish if they have a 20-21 season. How in the world do you sell that to your fan base?
He recruits well?

Collins leaving NU for WF is a far-fetched and highly unlikely scenario.

Maybe after the last decade of 0 seasons with a winning conference record they've realized their error, but if you're Collins, do you really want to go into an environment like that where you could get fired because you're only one of the best 32 teams in the country instead of the best 16?

If you think you have a better chance of winning there, and if they intend to compensate you fairly, absolutely. Job security just isn't the priority for coaches that it is for regular people.

But, in any case, my comment had nothing to do with him being a good coach or not. Simply don’t see how it would be smart for them to pull the trigger on CC. It’s a hard sell for their fans and boosters. It’s not an established coach like Jim Beilein. It’s a coach they could believe is good but does not have the resume to back it up. Too many bad seasons. And, therefore, it would be a big gamble. After a big busted gamble with Manning. I’d think self preservation on the part of the hiring people at WF would prevent them from gambling with their reputation and career.
CCC will be just fine. I bet he is gone 2-3 years from now and if will be his choice. He’ll get a twenty win season and bolt, fed up with the BS with Admissions and others.[/QUOTE]
NBA?

Yet some of us want the only coach that’s ever brought us to an NCAA appearance or won an NCAA game to leave. Sounds demanding to me...

Gaudio was removed for other reasons.

I know you're connected to the program. For the good of Northwestern basketball I hope Coach Collin still wants to be here and still thinks he can win.

The sense I get from haywood's posts is just utter exasperation at how hamstrung Collins's recruiting efforts have been by admissions requirements.

We were all reminded recently that by all indications, Javon Freeman-Liberty wanted to come to NU but was denied. Paul Mulcahy, now at Rutgers, was a similar story. Nojel Eastern, if memory serves, basically decided against doing what he needed to do to bump himself up into the needed academic standing at NU and opted to just pick Purdue instead. I'm sure I'm missing others.

Any coach at NU that brings us to the ncaa tourney should be viewed as a top notch coach- regardless of other lost seasons with lots of losses. Barnett left for Colorado after his 2-10 final season. I realize GB accomplished a lot. But Collins may want to move on. I would if I were he. Maybe starting fresh would be good for NU and CCC. I am curious to see how a new coach could recruit- especially PBsr.

Reactions: catsattackfor3
It is centered at a board of trustees who do not want to, or know what it takes to, build a consistently successful program at a P5 level. Yes, this bleeds into admissions decisions, resource allocation, etc.

Collins is only operating with one hand behind his back because Phillips is an absolute master and untied the other hand by getting the facilities done. Phillips is by far the best athletic director in the country with what he has done at NU. The athletic department is very steady and very good, but there are institutional barriers that they simply can’t remove.

We can’t understate how absolutely lucky we are to have Fitz, that he was a big time player for us and a proud alum...he would not have stayed here otherwise. No coach would have the patience to deal with this group of numbskulls otherwise. Also, don’t forget that he has also used other jobs as leverage to get what he needed from the admin.
We are an academic institution that happens to play intercollegiate athletics at the highest level. Our priorities reflect that reality. It is part of what makes NU so special. Fitz has embraced it and made it work. I hope that our fans and alumni can as well.

We are an academic institution that happens to play intercollegiate athletics at the highest level. Our priorities reflect that reality. It is part of what makes NU so special. Fitz has embraced it and made it work. I hope that our fans and alumni can as well.

Yes, and some of us believe that high-character kids who are hard workers but might not quite reach the GPA/SAT threshold should be given a chance to succeed at NU, with eyes wide open to the academic and athletic expectations.

This is not a thing.

Flat out was a "thing" a few days ago before it was reported. I will stand by my source 100%. There was contact by the 2 parties, seems like it has died on the vine as of last night. But it was a "thing". And as the great KO said when he was here 20 years ago, never comment on jobs not even a denial makes you look like an a$4 if things change which they do quickly in this business.

Flat out was a "thing" a few days ago before it was reported. I will stand by my source 100%. There was contact by the 2 parties, seems like it has died on the vine as of last night. But it was a "thing". And as the great KO said when he was here 20 years ago, never comment on jobs not even a denial makes you look like an a$4 if things change which they do quickly in this business.

Kevin O'Neill didn't need much help in looking like an ass (rim shot). ;)

Yes, and some of us believe that high-character kids who are hard workers but might not quite reach the GPA/SAT threshold should be given a chance to succeed at NU, with eyes wide open to the academic and athletic expectations.
I agree that admissions decisions need to be made on an individual basis, and I am very certain that they are. Grades, which reflect achievement, and test scores, which reflect ability, are not absolutely accurate determinants of academic success in college. But, they are the best indicators that we have. Hard work and character are better predictors of success after school than of success in school. As a professor for many years, I can say that the major difference between a school such as NU, Duke, or Stanford and schools such as Illinois State, for example, is the relative similarity in the abilities of the students. The top 5% of students are roughly the same at every institution. The difference is in the next 95%. At NU, there is very little difference between the top 5% and the bottom 25% of the student body. At a school like Illinois State, there is most likely a huge difference. Professors generally teach to the 65th or 70th percentile. Vocabulary, complexity of arguments, reading assignments (both length and sophistication), the amount of time devoted to reviewing materials and repeating emphases, and a host of other considerations are influenced by the nature of the students at the 65th - 70th percentile. No professor wants to talk over the heads of his students. At NU this rarely happens because even the worst students are quite bright, sophisticated, and accomplished. Admitting students who cannot reasonably understand lectures, reading materials, and discussions, just to win a few more basketball games, is grossly unfair to those students - not to mention the faculty and other students.

One last thing all the denials and never was a serious candidate stuff aside why in the hell wouldn't he look into that job? would be utterly stupid for agent to not to take a call or make a call. It is not like we are MSU in the Big 10, this is Northwestern - Wake is probably a better job and would give someone a fresh start. The number one thing in that business is to achieve longevity in a volatile career. Not many guys survive long as a head coach without constant success, better to look for a new job when you have a job than to look for one when you are out of a job

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Not many guys survive long as a head coach without constant success, better to look for a new job when you have a job than to look for one when you are out of a job
Collins makes in excess of $3 million a year for an additional 5 years from now. Wake is paying Manning up to $15 Million to not coach there. I don't think Power 5 ex-coaches need to worry about where their next job is.

That's fine, then we shouldn't pretend like we want to compete in P5 revenue sports.

I'd argue that Fitz has only "embraced" this after he 1) is undoubtedly the most decorated player in modern NU history (leverage with boosters and admin), 2) had some success with Walker's recruits and new coordinators, 3) proceeded to throw his weight around both internally and externally (e.g., having his name floated around for some really good jobs like Michigan and Green Bay). Fitz now has a ton of leeway...he can't get anyone he wants into the program without question, but he has quite a few exceptions and clout with the admin. If all of the above stars had not aligned for Fitz, he would not be here. He's fiercely competitive and would absolutely not be here if the admin hadn't given in on more than a few demands earlier this decade.

Collins, however, doesn't have all of the above and the admin does not like him like they do Fitz. We'll see how this situation develops.

That's fine, then we shouldn't pretend like we want to compete in P5 revenue sports.

I'd argue that Fitz has only "embraced" this after he 1) is undoubtedly the most decorated player in modern NU history (leverage with boosters and admin), 2) had some success with Walker's recruits and new coordinators, 3) proceeded to throw his weight around both internally and externally (e.g., having his name floated around for some really good jobs like Michigan and Green Bay). Fitz now has a ton of leeway...he can't get anyone he wants into the program without question, but he has quite a few exceptions and clout with the admin. If all of the above stars had not aligned for Fitz, he would not be here. He's fiercely competitive and would absolutely not be here if the admin hadn't given in on more than a few demands earlier this decade.

Collins, however, doesn't have all of the above and the admin does not like him like they do Fitz. We'll see how this situation develops.
But we are competing - and very well. We won our division in football just one year ago and went to the NCAA tourney in basketball just three years ago. That is competing!

But we are competing - and very well. We won our division in football just one year ago and went to the NCAA tourney in basketball just three years ago. That is competing!
Put football aside (even though that's one division crown/championship in 15 years of Fitz), I've detailed that Fitz has gotten his way and is building his program. I think last football season was an anomaly.

One NCAA tourney appearance in the history of NU basketball is not competing. We're building a solid roster now and will be competitive the next couple of seasons, but it took much longer than necessary due to various roadblocks.

The monetary investment by various boosters and the athletic department is not congruent with the results displayed above, and that's the administration's fault.

I agree that admissions decisions need to be made on an individual basis, and I am very certain that they are. Grades, which reflect achievement, and test scores, which reflect ability, are not absolutely accurate determinants of academic success in college. But, they are the best indicators that we have. Hard work and character are better predictors of success after school than of success in school. As a professor for many years, I can say that the major difference between a school such as NU, Duke, or Stanford and schools such as Illinois State, for example, is the relative similarity in the abilities of the students. The top 5% of students are roughly the same at every institution. The difference is in the next 95%. At NU, there is very little difference between the top 5% and the bottom 25% of the student body. At a school like Illinois State, there is most likely a huge difference. Professors generally teach to the 65th or 70th percentile. Vocabulary, complexity of arguments, reading assignments (both length and sophistication), the amount of time devoted to reviewing materials and repeating emphases, and a host of other considerations are influenced by the nature of the students at the 65th - 70th percentile. No professor wants to talk over the heads of his students. At NU this rarely happens because even the worst students are quite bright, sophisticated, and accomplished. Admitting students who cannot reasonably understand lectures, reading materials, and discussions, just to win a few more basketball games, is grossly unfair to those students - not to mention the faculty and other students.

I am not following this train of thought. If at NU there is very little difference between the top 5% and the next 95%, how are the athletes supposed to engage with their classmates if they don’t fit in that profile? Are you saying there is little difference between the admitted athletes and the general population?

I would bet our admitted athletes test score/GPA wise and no better than the average student at ISU. How do almost all of them seem to graduate? Tutors? If so, I see no issue with that as long as they complete the work. The big question to me as an athlete would be how do I with my 21 ACT fit in with the rest of the student body?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT