ADVERTISEMENT

Did Michigan Make a Premature Decision

ohiovalleycat

Oct 7, 2007
Michigan sophomore quarterback JJ McCarthy beat out last year's Big Ten championship quarterback Cade McNamara based on his early season performance in games against Colorado State, Hawaii, and Connecticut. It's a moot point now with McNamara out hurt. However, is that slate of teams a good judge of how well a quarterback would fare against Big Ten competition? I'm not sure Jim Harbaugh went through the right progression in how he replaced his top quarterback. McCarthy has Michigan leading, but struggling to pull away from Maryland. I'm just wondering if that line-up of Colorado State, Hawaii, and Connecticut is just one of the softest non-conference schedules for a powerhouse program like Michigan to face, for it to be a good way of deciding to dethrone a team captain quarterback who took you to your first Big Ten championship in almost two decades. It would be like picking a new kid to be the class math whiz based on an arithmetic test, while previous class math whiz had proven themselves in the past going up against calculus and differential topology.

Michigan sophomore quarterback JJ McCarthy beat out last year's Big Ten championship quarterback Cade McNamara based on his early season performance in games against Colorado State, Hawaii, and Connecticut. It's a moot point now with McNamara out hurt. However, is that slate of teams a good judge of how well a quarterback would fare against Big Ten competition? I'm not sure Jim Harbaugh went through the right progression in how he replaced his top quarterback. McCarthy has Michigan leading, but struggling to pull away from Maryland. I'm just wondering if that line-up of Colorado State, Hawaii, and Connecticut is just one of the softest non-conference schedules for a powerhouse program like Michigan to face, for it to be a good way of deciding to dethrone a team captain quarterback who took you to your first Big Ten championship in almost two decades. It would be like picking a new kid to be the class math whiz based on an arithmetic test, while previous class math whiz had proven themselves in the past going up against calculus and differential topology.

JJ has a much higher ceiling and is not performing below McNamara in any other area. Right call for Harbaugh. Probably something he should have done to begin with, but because of what McNamara did in the past, he allowed for the audition, but I think JJ was pre-ordained and Harbaugh was just going through the motions to give himself cover. JJ easily looked to be the better QB by a couple miles.

I'm probably the only guy here that cares because I despise Michigan, but, anyway, I hope he fails spectacularly

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
I'm probably the only guy here that cares because I despise Michigan, but, anyway, I hope he fails spectacularly
What about the young man wants you to see him fail? Do you generally wish bad things on good people or just when their affiliations differ?

What about the young man wants you to see him fail? Do you generally wish bad things on good people or just when their affiliations differ?
Have you heard of politics?

That said, football is NOT politics and Phatcat is sounding like a Phat head. I really wish JJ had come to NU, but it is always good to see young people succeed.

Michigan is one of the B1G teams that I mostly cheer to fail. So I hope Harbaugh chose the wrong QB and will be pleased if they lose out.

Have you heard of politics?

That said, football is NOT politics and Phatcat is sounding like a Phat head. I really wish JJ had come to NU, but it is always good to see young people succeed.
Yes, I have, and that has nothing to do with this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT