ADVERTISEMENT

Dr. Jim to ACC commish

Well that’s going to put a whole damper on this week. Going to miss Jim, amazing what he has done for the program and all of NU

Reactions: Catmosphere
Still begs the question of how/why he did not get the Big Ten position last year, since this basically throws out the "maybe he never wanted to be conference commissioner in the first place" theory.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Say it ain't so...

Article on YAHOO

Well, that would suck. I’m not sure Dr. Jim would take it, though. He’s a Chicago guy. He’s got young kids. He’s still relatively young. He might not be ready to leave just yet.

Another concern: if he leaves, I think it would be one less reason for Fitz to stay if the Bears come after him. Fitz loves working with Phillips and there’s a lot of mutual respect there. That could influence his decision if the Bears offer him. (That’s a big if, of course.)

Just throwing out a wish list name, but Condoleezza Rice. She was on the CFP committee and is brilliant. Might be though to pull her away from Stanford but she was just on game day this week and was thinking how impressive she is.

Reactions: 7th Cir. Cat
Well, that would suck. I’m not sure Dr. Jim would take it, though. He’s a Chicago guy. He’s got young kids. He’s still relatively young. He might not be ready to leave just yet.

Another concern: if he leaves, I think it would be one less reason for Fitz to stay if the Bears come after him. Fitz loves working with Phillips and there’s a lot of mutual respect there. That could influence his decision if the Bears offer him. (That’s a big if, of course.)
The ink is dry.

Is there a clear #2 currently in the NU AD? If not, are there any viable internal candidates? As buttoned-up as Dr. Jim is, one would assume a succession plan is in place.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
The ink is dry.
On the contract offer, or Dr. Jim’s signature on it?

If he’s gone, he did a really nice job while he was here. Wish him all the best.

What are the odds that Fitz becomes the AD? It would at least take the Bears off the table and he could handpick and mentor his successor.

He didn't want to have to admit he made a mistake with the CCC hire. 😝
I'm turned off to the hoops program right now, but Collins did get us to the Big Dance, and that was quite an accomplishment. Maybe, though, Phillips shouldn't have given him the big extension, but that seems like second guessing.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Morty will look for a guy who understands the academic environment at NU. Look for someone with background at Stanford, Duke, NU or other similar

Reactions: rmndcat
Morty will look for a guy who understands the academic environment at NU. Look for someone with background at Stanford, Duke, NU or other similar
We haven't had tremendous success with coach or AD hires from Duke or Stanford. Three of our best football coaches came from Colorado and Miami(OH). Our best AD came from NIU.

I think Stanford's programs are struggling a bit now ... not where we want to go. Does the Duke AD have a job description beyond "keep Coach K happy"? (Kidding ...!)

Reactions: Catmosphere
Definitely not Polisky. Get someone who will whack Collins and has a good list for new bball coach.

Reactions: phatcat
I honestly feel like this isn't that big of a deal now because of what has been built over the past 10 years.

We have the facilities and arena done.

Football program is in great shape with Fitz at the helm and no indication that he's going anywhere any time soon.

Mainly just getting basketball program performing better and then figuring out what to do with Ryan Field are main things on the agenda.

Obviously Covid situation probably means that they want to see what future of football attendance looks like before they would commit to anything on Ryan Field.

So now is as good a time as any for Phillips to consider other opportunities.

Next AD will have to figure out basketball situation and eventually what to do about Ryan Field down the road.

We're in a great spot because Phillips got so many major items checked off (3 of the 4 big building items).

By that logic, hiring the NIU athletic director made no sense ...
But Dr. Jim had worked at Notre Dame so he had that background. By the way a little dot connection is in order. Dr. Jim worked with Kevin White at ND, Kevin White is the AD at Duke. White pushed hard for Dr. Jim to become the ACC commish. White's son is AD at Central Florida and highly thought of.....White's son the new NU AD?

But Dr. Jim had worked at Notre Dame so he had that background. By the way a little dot connection is in order. Dr. Jim worked with Kevin White at ND, Kevin White is the AD at Duke. White pushed hard for Dr. Jim to become the ACC commish. White's son is AD at Central Florida and highly thought of.....White's son the new NU AD?

Sounds like people are jumping the gun. Do we even know if Phillips is going to accept? Where is the ACC commissioner based? As Lou mentioned, Phillips is very connected to Chicago with his family and kids. He may also see the troubles Warren is having at the Big Ten and realize that job may open up once again in the not too distant future.

Sounds like people are jumping the gun. Do we even know if Phillips is going to accept? Where is the ACC commissioner based? As Lou mentioned, Phillips is very connected to Chicago with his family and kids. He may also see the troubles Warren is having at the Big Ten and realize that job may open up once again in the not too distant future.

As Hawk Harrelson would say “he gone”.

Definitely not Polisky. Get someone who will whack Collins and has a good list for new bball coach.

Didn't Polisky spearhead the Chicago's Big Ten Team campaign? If people are happy with the department right now, it makes sense to promote from within.

I just hope that Fitz will have a very generous budget for assistants with hiring a new DC requiring $$$ (unless it’s a young internal hire) and possibly some other assistants.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT