ADVERTISEMENT

Final Drives

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Does anyone have a clue how the Cats' offense, which has certainly been inconsistent if not downright awful this year, becomes a juggernaut when it needs to close out and win a game? In five of the six "close" games this year, the offense has had a sustained final drive that either got the final score or essentially closed out the game: Duke, 10 plays, Ball State, 10 plays, Nebraska, 9 plays, PSU 10 plays, PU 7 plays. In the sixth, against Stanford, while it did not close out the game, the last non-victory formation drive was 9 plays to a field goal that made it a two score game and while not icing the game, made it extremely difficult for Stanford to crawl back. I don't know if I have ever seen a team struggle so much and then suddenly transform itself and take control when it needed to.

Reactions: phatcat
Does anyone have a clue how the Cats' offense, which has certainly been inconsistent if not downright awful this year, becomes a juggernaut when it needs to close out and win a game? In five of the six "close" games this year, the offense has had a sustained final drive that either got the final score or essentially closed out the game: Duke, 10 plays, Ball State, 10 plays, Nebraska, 9 plays, PSU 10 plays, PU 7 plays. In the sixth, against Stanford, while it did not close out the game, the last non-victory formation drive was 9 plays to a field goal that made it a two score game and while not icing the game, made it extremely difficult for Stanford to crawl back. I don't know if I have ever seen a team struggle so much and then suddenly transform itself and take control when it needed to.

Excellent point. And a very good question.

Good teams close out games. This is why Indiana is 0 for the BIG. Also, some of these were against tired defenses that we just wore down over the course of the game.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Good teams close out games. This is why Indiana is 0 for the BIG. Also, some of these were against tired defenses that we just wore down over the course of the game.
yeah tired D and superior RBs especially JJ

I don't have an answer, and yes it is maddening to watch, but I will take these kind of wins over blowing double digit leads over and over again in 2013-14.

For a change, our football team has some resilience. We have been missing this ingredient for the past few years. It also seems to me that these final drives include QB running plays/scrambles that are usually absent earlier in the game.

There might have been something in the Purdue game plan to limit Thorson's running due to his injury against PSU. Then in the last scoring drive, Fitz thought forget it, go win.

There may also be something with how the team is told to play and the play calling ie we have a great defense so the offense will lean on that. Then when you need a last drive it's all hands on deck.

Yes, senior leadership has been a big part. We are a team with a lot of experience. Other than at quarterback. Snuck up on everyone.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Clearly our offense improved though in the second half though. Duke, Ball State, Nebraska, Purdue etc. Thirson is clearly so far much better in the second half and so is JJ for that matter.

Clearly our offense improved though in the second half though. Duke, Ball State, Nebraska, Purdue etc. Thirson is clearly so far much better in the second half and so is JJ for that matter.
Ignorant question...

Any chance that it takes a while for the film study and game planning to gel in CT's mind and that each game "slows down" for him as the concepts from the film room become actual players and plays being repeated?

No idea but I sure as hell prefer this whole "second half" team over the "first half" teams of the past couple years that could never "finish."

Ignorant question...

Any chance that it takes a while for the film study and game planning to gel in CT's mind and that each game "slows down" for him as the concepts from the film room become actual players and plays being repeated?

Absolutely.

Absolutely.
Not sure about that. Sure CT makes some plays late but i seem to remember a lot of "Justin Jackson the ball carrier" in those drives. Not always, but often. And as far as a "worn down defense", that makes less sense if we've done little prior to that to wear them down.

So i continue to be (happily) puzzled by it

Not sure about that. Sure CT makes some plays late but i seem to remember a lot of "Justin Jackson the ball carrier" in those drives. Not always, but often. And as far as a "worn down defense", that makes less sense if we've done little prior to that to wear them down.

Could be a mix of the two things. I definitely think JJ takes advantage of the Big Dogs on the D line being tired and a step slower at the end of the game but I am also a fan of the choice to pull CT, coach him up, and put him back in so the idea that he understands better what is happening as the game progresses makes sense.

The game slowing down isn't all about passing the football. It's also about making the right checks, seeing coverages clearer, making the right reads in the run game and the pass game. Right now, he's very comfortable in the four minute offense for sure, but to understate the impact of the game slowing for Clayton would be shortsighted.

Great observation.

That's the beauty of it all. We would have lost these types of games in 2013 and 2014, it seems.Suddenly, this team has a certain "je ne sais quoi" that enables them to close out close wins.

Who knows? I just remember Gene Stallings, a fine coach and true gentleman (he also makes a mean brisket), saying "football games are won when football players make plays." That's my answer.

The O-line and run game getting the upper hand against a worn down D has played a big role; also having a D which can stop the opponent from taking the lead (something IU doesn't not have) has been key.

Yes, senior leadership has been a big part. We are a team with a lot of experience. Other than at quarterback. Snuck up on everyone.

Never understood how some saw this as a rebuilding yr.

Aside from QB - the rest of positions have a mix of upperclassmen and/or experience.

While the 'Cats are seemingly on their way to a nice season - imagine what this team could have done w/ a more experienced QB at the helm (timing is everything).

The O-line and run game getting the upper hand against a worn down D has played a big role; also having a D which can stop the opponent from taking the lead (something IU doesn't not have) has been key.

Never understood how some saw this as a rebuilding yr.

Aside from QB - the rest of positions have a mix of upperclassmen and/or experience.

While the 'Cats are seemingly on their way to a nice season - imagine what this team could have done w/ a more experienced QB at the helm (timing is everything).

Yes they might have been 8-2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT