ADVERTISEMENT

Future of PF

None of you have answered the question. Instead you all dance around it.
The question remains, is keeping McCall supporting our seniors and the team? Yes or no?
Fans wanna know.

None of you have answered the question. Instead you all dance around it.
The question remains, is keeping McCall supporting our seniors and the team? Yes or no?
Fans wanna know.

Yes it does- simply because personnel decisions are up to the coaches. Like parenting, support isn't just doing what your kids/the players want to make them happy. Support is doing what you think is best for them overall. While I personally think it's probably time to move on from McCall, that is 100% Fitz's decision and if the players truly feel unsupported by that, then they can consider going somewhere else. I am not saying that in a contentious way and I don't want that to happen. At the end of the day, they are free to voice their opinions, but it's not their decision. And it shouldn't be.

You seem to be focused only on what happens on the field, which no doubt is a very important part of Fitz's job. But in Fitz's tenure, there is nothing but examples of Fitz supporting his players on and off the field and putting them first over and over again. If you don't see that, you aren't paying attention.

Reactions: Rebel_
Yes it does- simply because personnel decisions are up to the coaches. Like parenting, support isn't just doing what your kids/the players want to make them happy. Support is doing what you think is best for them overall. While I personally think it's probably time to move on from McCall, that is 100% Fitz's decision and if the players truly feel unsupported by that, then they can consider going somewhere else. I am not saying that in a contentious way and I don't want that to happen. At the end of the day, they are free to voice their opinions, but it's not their decision. And it shouldn't be.

You seem to be focused only on what happens on the field, which no doubt is a very important part of Fitz's job. But in Fitz's tenure, there is nothing but examples of Fitz supporting his players on and off the field and putting them first over and over again. If you don't see that, you aren't paying attention.
Interesting.
Fair enough. Well, i guess there are some who do believe that keeping McCall supports our seniors and team. Oh well

Do you think Fitz is regretting not going to Green Bay?

No. Really? He's got a great job, one that he has said is his dream job over and over again. On top of that, he was never offered the Green Bay job. At most, he was offered an interview, which he declined. Even if he decided to take the interview, it was far from a done deal that he would get offered it.

People today are so unrealistic and impatient. As has been stated a ton of times, minus the true blue bloods, every program has bad years and stretches. Look no further than the gold standard of college football- Alabama. From 1997-2007 (11 seasons!), they were a very pedestrian 74-63 overall and had seasons that included records of 3-8, 4-9, and 4-7. Look at how much the mighty Florida State (arguably the premier program of the 1990's) has fallen. Or Tennessee. Or Texas. Or UCLA. Or Miami of Florida. Or Nebraska. The list goes on and on.

This has been an extremely frustrating season. And I'll admit that it's not just the 1-7 record. It's the pathetic offense that has made for a terrible viewing experience. I mean, when our next game kicks off, it will be over a month since we scored a touchdown. That's terrible...but bad seasons happen. Everything fell wrong this year. No one jumped up and took the QB position and we had injuries to our #1 RB, our #1 WR, and one of our top two QB's that was fighting for the starting job and likely would be starting now if healthy. On top of that, the toughest part of our schedule hit right as all of those injuries were happening, and now the wheels have completely fallen off and the team is playing with no confidence.

Not making excuses, but when you look at the situation, you can kind of see how this happened. The coaching needs to be better. The players need to be better. The whole thing has been a disaster this year. But despite all of that, this is still a good program that is a lot better off today than ten years ago. If we have another year like this next year, this discussion would be a lot more valid. For now, it's a bad season that the coaches and players need to find a way to overcome. They still have four games left to try and gain a little confidence going into the offseason.

I’m sorry to see your lack of success this year. When expectations are high, you see a lot of us fans giving our thoughts and opinions. Though you or I may disagree with some, it’s always good that we feel free to express our thoughts. It’s truly American and, more importantly, it’s therapeutic. It makes us feel better to think others are listening even if they disagree. So, keep bringing it.

I think Fitzgerald is a great college football coach. He does things right. But, at the same time, like the rest of us, he’s not perfect. Coaching, like all jobs and life itself, is a continual learning experience. Even though many think he is stubborn, I do believe he’s learning a ton from this year that will greatly help your program in the near future. Many coaches fire assistants, change schemes but never change their approach that got them into the problem in the first place. Like many of us, Fitzgerald appears to be a problem solver. I like this board because many of you don’t just complain, you analyze not only this year but past years to try to solve the problem. Obviously, most, if not all, of us don’t have significant information about the programs inner workings, but, I bet, you know some info that some on the inside don’t. The football program follows these fan boards, not to learn what to do, but to see if there is any info they didn’t know and to see fan reactions. Any coach would be stupid to say that he cares what a fan board is saying but they have to read it. I bet Fitzgerald is also talking to a lot of coaching friends, etc. to get their thoughts. A good leader wants the most information possible before making big decisions.

I think this year is the best thing that could have happened to your program. You have been good, but not great. You have climbed over big hurdles that programs like Vandy can’t seem to do. But now you are at a crossroads. Over the past 10 years or so, you have had an excellent defense with a stable, ball control offense. Great defenses win championships. Makes sense. This appears to be the recipe for success at Northwestern. LSU had done this for years. We lost a undefeated season and a NC in 2011 because of it. It was easy to see when we beat Alabama 9-6. We then got beat 21-0 in the NC. I think we’ve learned from that and changed, but we’ll see Saturday. In the last few years, college football has changed with the dynamics of the spread and RPO offenses. You can’t stay competitive and win championships without being dynamic on both sides of the ball.

I think Fitzgerald is getting an excellent dose of the changing times and reality. How he changes with that will be answer. I think you have a great man for the job and I expect you to have a dynamic, explosive offense in the future.

No. Really? He's got a great job, one that he has said is his dream job over and over again. On top of that, he was never offered the Green Bay job. At most, he was offered an interview, which he declined. Even if he decided to take the interview, it was far from a done deal that he would get offered it.

People today are so unrealistic and impatient. As has been stated a ton of times, minus the true blue bloods, every program has bad years and stretches. Look no further than the gold standard of college football- Alabama. From 1997-2007 (11 seasons!), they were a very pedestrian 74-63 overall and had seasons that included records of 3-8, 4-9, and 4-7. Look at how much the mighty Florida State (arguably the premier program of the 1990's) has fallen. Or Tennessee. Or Texas. Or UCLA. Or Miami of Florida. Or Nebraska. The list goes on and on.

This has been an extremely frustrating season. And I'll admit that it's not just the 1-7 record. It's the pathetic offense that has made for a terrible viewing experience. I mean, when our next game kicks off, it will be over a month since we scored a touchdown. That's terrible...but bad seasons happen. Everything fell wrong this year. No one jumped up and took the QB position and we had injuries to our #1 RB, our #1 WR, and one of our top two QB's that was fighting for the starting job and likely would be starting now if healthy. On top of that, the toughest part of our schedule hit right as all of those injuries were happening, and now the wheels have completely fallen off and the team is playing with no confidence.

Not making excuses, but when you look at the situation, you can kind of see how this happened. The coaching needs to be better. The players need to be better. The whole thing has been a disaster this year. But despite all of that, this is still a good program that is a lot better off today than ten years ago. If we have another year like this next year, this discussion would be a lot more valid. For now, it's a bad season that the coaches and players need to find a way to overcome. They still have four games left to try and gain a little confidence going into the offseason.
Not happening! We will get crushed.
The good news is that we will have about 6 unlv's on the schedule next year so we will certainly go to a bowl game even if the fans wont see any games at ryan field against a top 50 team.

An intelligent, unemotional analysis. You’re right, we were snake bitten this year. How many teams could win with their first two QB’s injured or out for other reasons?

if the results aren’t markedly better next year then as you say, we have a different discussion about whether coaching is holding the team back,

Reactions: Jonny2TheP
McCall was the winning OC for the last four years. While we won three consecutive Bowl he was OC. He is the OC who beat Utah after half our fans left, only to miss the comeback. He is the OC who took us to the B1G Championsip. You can coach kids, but you can't play for them. I have no doubt if Fitz thinks this team is better off replacing a coach he will. But Fitz will not do anything to apeaze anyone, and that is what makes Fitz not only a great Coach , but a great human being.

You were watching different games from the rest of us. Those successful seasons, Mike Hankwitz and the D carried us. We won INSPITE of an inept offense. We came back against UTAH because our DEFENSE took over and forced 4 turnovers. Mick McCall is a trash OC. Actually, the worst in all of Division I according to the facts. How anyone continues to dispute what is clear to see and what the numbers show, I don’t know. I blame it on the legalization of pot, except this delusion is more like what you would see with Quaaludes or something really potent.

You were watching different games from the rest of us. Those successful seasons, Mike Hankwitz and the D carried us. We won INSPITE of an inept offense. We came back against UTAH because our DEFENSE took over and forced 4 turnovers. Mick McCall is a trash OC. Actually, the worst in all of Division I according to the facts. How anyone continues to dispute what is clear to see and what the numbers show, I don’t know. I blame it on the legalization of pot, except this delusion is more like what you would see with Quaaludes or something really potent.

Look you do not have to like the guy and its you're right to call for a change but to call the guy trash is stupid. We have won alot of games with him as OC. It is time for a change but this isn't the Bears or Michigan for crying out loud. Have a little damn respect for a guy who is a really good dude and good not great coach.

McCall was the winning OC for the last four years. While we won three consecutive Bowl he was OC. He is the OC who beat Utah after half our fans left, only to miss the comeback. He is the OC who took us to the B1G Championsip. You can coach kids, but you can't play for them. I have no doubt if Fitz thinks this team is better off replacing a coach he will. But Fitz will not do anything to apeaze anyone, and that is what makes Fitz not only a great Coach , but a great human being.

Sorry, but disagree and the stats don’t lie. He was the OC on a team w an amazing, all country defense. We won despite the O. That has been the case for a decade.

Put in military perspective, if a general fails to take a hill, despite astounding support from the air and sea, are you still rallying around that general? If that general refuses to make any changes, blames excuses here and there, do you still stand behind that general?

If pressed, I suspect I can pull some real life military examples.

Football is not a war but I’m trying to connect on a level I know you understand.

Sorry, but disagree and the stats don’t lie. He was the OC on a team w an amazing, all country defense. We won despite the O. That has been the case for a decade.

Put in military perspective, if a general fails to take a hill, despite astounding support from the air and sea, are you still rallying around that general? If that general refuses to make any changes, blames excuses here and there, do you still stand behind that general?

If pressed, I suspect I can pull some real life military examples.

Football is not a war but I’m trying to connect on a level I know you understand.
We can agree to disagree which doesn't happen often. I have faith that Fitz will do what is best for Northwestern. Fitz is more intelligent than people give him credit for. Watching Fitz play I thought he was a warrior who played with heart and instinct. I realize now that a lot of what made Fitz so damn good was he is very intelligent. Fitz understands people and how to get the most out of people. I have stated many times what I think of the school and what I think of our football program. The football program is what it is because of Fitz and his choices. Let's see what Coach Fitz does in the off season. Whatever he decides I support him and always will.

Absolutely us fans have a clue, its easy to see and very objective, our offense is a complete disaster and has been for the 4 years you mention.
Look, obviously, you cant be objective because your son got a free ride. I get it. But, dude, this is basic. Since you have faith, you are blinded. I get it because faith is the only out you could say.
Didn't know this was you Turk. We don't agree with this, but you are still a friend.

We can agree to disagree which doesn't happen often. I have faith that Fitz will do what is best for Northwestern. Fitz is more intelligent than people give him credit for. Watching Fitz play I thought he was a warrior who played with heart and instinct. I realize now that a lot of what made Fitz so damn good was he is very intelligent. Fitz understands people and how to get the most out of people. I have stated many times what I think of the school and what I think of our football program. The football program is what it is because of Fitz and his choices. Let's see what Coach Fitz does in the off season. Whatever he decides I support him and always will.
Agreed! Joe Girardi was a friend of mine in college. We used to eat at Elder Hall. Total genius,like Fitz! The real,real genius of all the jocks at NU was football captain,Rich Raffin,who was a Chemical engineering major. He had career ending knee surgery as a sophomore,but was smarter than all of em! And a dam good player!

Reactions: CrippleCat
By the way,yours truly, Wrassler/ titanium/ nutjob,is the only one of all the above who was awarded a scholarship at an Ivy league school for a PhD! U of Penn in 1991! OMG!

Reactions: CrippleCat
By the way,yours truly, Wrassler/ titanium/ nutjob,is the only one of all the above who was awarded a scholarship at an Ivy league school for a PhD! U of Penn in 1991! OMG!
I am a Pennsylvania kid. My very first football game was Penn vs Cornell. That is an impressive school. What many on here don't realize is that Fitz would be successful at anything he did. Part of his snarky attitude is I am sure people much less intelligent than he questioning his decisions. Fitz has a very high moral compass, is a man of integrity and of his word, a drive to be the best he can be, a desire to make everyone around him better, and a very high IQ.

Reactions: NUCats and Rebel_

A couple of thoughts: do you support the science club with the same enthusiasm? No? Why not? What makes the football club different?

If we see an uptick in transfers and recommits this offseason will that change your tune?

I remember someone saying they wouldn’t condemn the staff because the first part of the schedule was rough and we would shine through w Nebraska. How did that work out?

I am a Pennsylvania kid. My very first football game was Penn vs Cornell. That is an impressive school. What many on here don't realize is that Fitz would be successful at anything he did. Part of his snarky attitude is I am sure people much less intelligent than he questioning his decisions. Fitz has a very high moral compass, is a man of integrity and of his word, a drive to be the best he can be, a desire to make everyone around him better, and a very high IQ.
I graduated from Penn. I do not question Fitz's intelligence, his moral compass or his integrity. I question his stubbornness, which has both good and bad effects.

Reactions: IGNORE and drewjin
I graduated from Penn. I do not question Fitz's intelligence, his moral compass or his integrity. I question his stubbornness, which has both good and bad effects.
I love Penn. Congrats on a great degree You and Trump are Penn graduates. On a serious note, very impressive.

Reactions: stpaulcat
A couple of thoughts: do you support the science club with the same enthusiasm? No? Why not? What makes the football club different?

If we see an uptick in transfers and recommits this offseason will that change your tune?

I remember someone saying they wouldn’t condemn the staff because the first part of the schedule was rough and we would shine through w Nebraska. How did that work out?

I have no idea what you are getting at with the science club question...please elaborate.

Regarding transfers and decommits...I have said in another post that if Hunter is healthy, I'd give him the rest of the snaps this season. In my opinion, Aidan has not shown he is a power 5 QB. And honestly, neither has Hunter, but we know that he has an elite skill set. Let's see if he can improve the last four games of the season and show a better understanding of the offense. If not, as I stated elsewhere, I'd start looking at the transfer portal to see what QB is available to play next season for the Cats...As far as decommits and transfers out of the program, I don't worry about them. Yaseen apparently just got an MSU offer last week. It'd hurt to lose him (there's no sign he is thinking of going there), but if something like that happened, so be it. It'd be a bummer, but I don't worry about the guys that don't come here or the guys that want to leave. I don't want to lose any of these players, but you're either in or you're out. I respect the decision either way as it always effects that individual a lot more than it effects me and root for the players that wear purple no matter what.

To your last point...I am not one of those people that won't condemn the staff because the schedule has been tough. Has it been tough? Yes...actually as of today, I think we still have played the toughest schedule in the country to this point. That being said, we haven't even been competitive in half our games and it's trending in the wrong direction. This season has been a failure and it's on both the coaches and the players. No way to sugarcoat it.

I have no idea what you are getting at with the science club question...please elaborate.

Regarding transfers and decommits...I have said in another post that if Hunter is healthy, I'd give him the rest of the snaps this season. In my opinion, Aidan has not shown he is a power 5 QB. And honestly, neither has Hunter, but we know that he has an elite skill set. Let's see if he can improve the last four games of the season and show a better understanding of the offense. If not, as I stated elsewhere, I'd start looking at the transfer portal to see what QB is available to play next season for the Cats...As far as decommits and transfers out of the program, I don't worry about them. Yaseen apparently just got an MSU offer last week. It'd hurt to lose him (there's no sign he is thinking of going there), but if something like that happened, so be it. It'd be a bummer, but I don't worry about the guys that don't come here or the guys that want to leave. I don't want to lose any of these players, but you're either in or you're out. I respect the decision either way as it always effects that individual a lot more than it effects me and root for the players that wear purple no matter what.

To your last point...I am not one of those people that won't condemn the staff because the schedule has been tough. Has it been tough? Yes...actually as of today, I think we still have played the toughest schedule in the country to this point. That being said, we haven't even been competitive in half our games and it's trending in the wrong direction. This season has been a failure and it's on both the coaches and the players. No way to sugarcoat it.

The science club is referring to you and others often citing the off the field results. Graduation rates, player support, etc. The only difference between the science club or hockey club and the football team is that the FB team competes on a national stage.

Once you dismiss on field results and only care about the off-field, why not show support to all the non revenue stuff. Go to swim meets - watch the soccer matches. I question the reason to root for a team when you aren’t tied to their athletic results.

Look you do not have to like the guy and its you're right to call for a change but to call the guy trash is stupid. We have won alot of games with him as OC. It is time for a change but this isn't the Bears or Michigan for crying out loud. Have a little damn respect for a guy who is a really good dude and good not great coach.

I don't dispute that he is a really good dude.

I didn't call him trash. He's a trash OC. Hard to dispute that when you consistently field below average offenses culminating in our dead last offense this year.

Reactions: IGNORE
Not really a fan favorite now, let alone after his lack of cajones.
He has got away with talking crap about fans because he has had wins.
His refusal to support the players is tragic.

We need an Apollo Creed inspired attitude adjustment like in Rocky III. Enough preening in Vegas photo shoots and celebrity wrestling matches. Return to the inner city gym, relearn the basics of smash mouth football, and defeat Mr. T in the rematch next season.

We need an Apollo Creed inspired attitude adjustment like in Rocky III. Enough preening in Vegas photo shoots and celebrity wrestling matches. Return to the inner city gym, relearn the basics of smash mouth football, and defeat Mr. T in the rematch next season.
+1
You get it!
As opposed to cuckoo nest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT