ADVERTISEMENT

Game thoughts and story lines

torque-cat

Dec 11, 2018
1. Nance was story of game for me. A bit uncertain early but he got comfortable and played excellent for most of the game. Hit some nice post shots, made a great pass and looked more confident across all phases. That said he was playing a small team with nobody who could challenge him in any way. I am far from certain he can play at a high level when he's getting banged around in the big ten.

2. Kopp: Just the usual Kopp stuff. Great from 3, efficient scoring performance, pretty good all around. He is starting to take shots off the dribble which would be a huge boost since teams will run him off the line in the big ten.

3. Beran: Pretty stroke from 3, very good athlete. Very few teams can challenge his 3 pt shot at his height and length, hopefully he continues to take those with confidence.

4. Audige: Very good player, only player on the team other than Buie who really attacks off the dribble and creates shots. My concern after this game is that he ends up being a volume scorer because while he has a decent shot, I don't think he's a pure shooter. I'll be thrilled if he hits 38% from 3 this year.

4. Buie: Same as last game. Pushed the ball, made some nice passes and finishes. When he hits the 3 it looks effortless--I feel like we need to get him going early but he's been reticent from 3 it feels like.

5. Young: Started off well, seems to be getting used to this limited minutes off the bench role. Today we saw why Collins wants Nance to start because of how Nance played, but Young is proven in the big ten at least as adequate vs elite guys.

6. Gaines: The usual, strong, tough, defense, rebounding but liability on offense. If he just had a 35% corner 3 (which is not crazy), he would be one of our best players.

7. Greer: Solid overall. Ran the offense, didn't make huge mistakes and he can definitely hit the open 3 when he gets it.

8. Berry: Struggled a lot early but his shot is pure (at least in rhythm, not someone who I think can shoot off the dribble or off rhythm). But he will be a weapon at times for us and he showed a bit more quickness today.

9. Nicholson. Nice dunk, but long way to go. I'd be surprised if he gets meaningful minutes this year in the big ten.

We are tall, long and fairly athletic. We have a lot more guys who can shoot from 3 this year with the addition of Berry and Audige. We have not played any reasonable competition so hard to project to a brutally tough big ten. Amazing to think however that Beran, Buie, Audige, Young, Berry all have 4 years of eligibility and Kopp/Nance have 3 years including this one. If not for how tough our schedule is, I'd say this is among the better NU teams of the past 20 yrs. Will be hard to show in conference.

Agree that it will tough for the improvement to show in this conference.

I think we have more guys who can play and more guys who can shoot. Over the season, hopefully that leads to better results, at least part of the time, when we find ourselves in close games and/or in foul trouble late.

Agree that it will tough for the improvement to show in this conference.

I think we have more guys who can play and more guys who can shoot. Over the season, hopefully that leads to better results, at least part of the time, when we find ourselves in close games and/or in foul trouble late.
+1.

Kopp had 16 points on only five field-goal attempts. I don’t think he broke a sweat.
Gosh that stroke is sweet. If he has space, it’s not even a question of if it’s going in. Hopefully there’s enough consistent penetration and ball movement threat he continues to get that space.

1. Nance was story of game for me. A bit uncertain early but he got comfortable and played excellent for most of the game. Hit some nice post shots, made a great pass and looked more confident across all phases. That said he was playing a small team with nobody who could challenge him in any way. I am far from certain he can play at a high level when he's getting banged around in the big ten.

2. Kopp: Just the usual Kopp stuff. Great from 3, efficient scoring performance, pretty good all around. He is starting to take shots off the dribble which would be a huge boost since teams will run him off the line in the big ten.

3. Beran: Pretty stroke from 3, very good athlete. Very few teams can challenge his 3 pt shot at his height and length, hopefully he continues to take those with confidence.

4. Audige: Very good player, only player on the team other than Buie who really attacks off the dribble and creates shots. My concern after this game is that he ends up being a volume scorer because while he has a decent shot, I don't think he's a pure shooter. I'll be thrilled if he hits 38% from 3 this year.

4. Buie: Same as last game. Pushed the ball, made some nice passes and finishes. When he hits the 3 it looks effortless--I feel like we need to get him going early but he's been reticent from 3 it feels like.

5. Young: Started off well, seems to be getting used to this limited minutes off the bench role. Today we saw why Collins wants Nance to start because of how Nance played, but Young is proven in the big ten at least as adequate vs elite guys.

6. Gaines: The usual, strong, tough, defense, rebounding but liability on offense. If he just had a 35% corner 3 (which is not crazy), he would be one of our best players.

7. Greer: Solid overall. Ran the offense, didn't make huge mistakes and he can definitely hit the open 3 when he gets it.

8. Berry: Struggled a lot early but his shot is pure (at least in rhythm, not someone who I think can shoot off the dribble or off rhythm). But he will be a weapon at times for us and he showed a bit more quickness today.

9. Nicholson. Nice dunk, but long way to go. I'd be surprised if he gets meaningful minutes this year in the big ten.

We are tall, long and fairly athletic. We have a lot more guys who can shoot from 3 this year with the addition of Berry and Audige. We have not played any reasonable competition so hard to project to a brutally tough big ten. Amazing to think however that Beran, Buie, Audige, Young, Berry all have 4 years of eligibility and Kopp/Nance have 3 years including this one. If not for how tough our schedule is, I'd say this is among the better NU teams of the past 20 yrs. Will be hard to show in conference.

Took me a minute to figure out who you were missing as your analysis only goes to #9. 🤔

They ain't bad.

And it's been the big fun to put away a couple of mice to start the season.

Now we get to see how they play against teams that should beat them and teams that are their equals. Watching this team so far, you'd think they could stay in a lotta games.

Reactions: drewjin
Fun to watch the up tempo offense. Lots of weapons to choose from. Look forward to a game where they are tested.

Great write up.

Don't agree though with the Nance/Young assessment. Things will change dramatically against good teams, ie teams that actually pose a challenge in the paint. For me it was painful to see Nance struggling on defense the first 5-10 minutes. Against, not so arguable, mediocre opponents. I understand wanting a lineup to run and push tempos, but man are we going to see struggles guarding the paint. Predicting Young to get off the bench very early in the near future.

Audige seemed a bit overly excited. I believe he will improve shot selection in the future.

Right now what makes me happy is feeling the B1G, though stacked and very good, as usual, is not as good as it was last year. And we are better. There are a few teams we can genuinely, for now, believe we can be better than:
1- Nebraska (obviously)
2-Minny
3-PSU
4-Purdue
5-Maryland

7 wins is more than reasonable to expect.

Reactions: drewjin
Seems like everyone other than Young has the green light to bring it up court after a defensive rebound. Very nice versatility to have if you want an up tempo game.

Don't agree though with the Nance/Young assessment. Things will change dramatically against good teams, ie teams that actually pose a challenge in the paint.
Collins already stated in the post-game presser yesterday that Young will play more against teams with traditional centers, which is roughly half the teams in the conference.

Has anyone watched Purdue play? Would love to see Nicholson match up vs their new 7'4" behemoth player. He looks like trouble. They seem to have found their next Harmms?? I think Nu can beat Purdue this year and nu should have last year. I sense more confidence/will to win for this version or nu hoops!

Collins already stated in the post-game presser yesterday that Young will play more against teams with traditional centers, which is roughly half the teams in the conference.

Yeah. But even against non traditional centers. Yesterday Nance had trouble against a 6’7 guy in the beginning of the game. And there are a lot of more skilled 6’7 and taller guys in the B1G not called Garza or Cockburn.

Yeah. But even against non traditional centers. Yesterday Nance had trouble against a 6’7 guy in the beginning of the game. And there are a lot of more skilled 6’7 and taller guys in the B1G not called Garza or Cockburn.

Neither Young nor Nance is likely going to defend well against the better centers in the league. They are both undersized in different ways and Young is less athletic than almost everyone he goes against. Nance will do better on switches and is a much better help defender. Young is certainly better defending in the post. They will both need help.

Last edited:
Neither Young nor Nance is likely going to defend well against the better centers in the league. They are both undersized in different ways and Young is less athletic than almost everyone he goes against. Nance will do better on switches and is a much better help defender. Young is certainly better defending in the post. They will both need help.

I tend to agree with all you've said here.

Strong agree. Especially on the help defense bit. Which is IMO what made our defense last year pretty decent (when CC did not stubbornly insist on a 1-3-1)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT