ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread for NU vs. Maryland

Got good mid-half minutes from a starter+4 lineup. Young / Williams / Roper / Greer plus Audige or Berry. That was the lineup out there when Roper and Young dug a loose ball and swung around for a Chase three.

There are definitely some ‘dawgs’ on the roster that you don’t get when you recruit guys who are primarily jump shooters. Shooters matter, but as a third or fourth option.

Audige brings an attitude. Roper is tough. Boo is tough. It’s rubbed off on Nance on that key late stickback.

Also, Maryland is not good, but I sure like a season-opening win. (Apologies for chicken-counting…)

Reactions: NUThump and Zootcat
Much like last year's Maryland win I am not inspired by this, but a road win is a road win.

Encouraged by the defensive intensity, and the fact that there are multiple guys on the floor at any given time that can make shots.

Oh, and Nance. He's a legit B1G player who should finally get some sort of all-conference consideration.

Last edited:
It's so risky having Boo and Chase on the court at the same time in these tight games. They're both too tempted to abandon the offensive scheme and play hero ball.

We need to preach high-percentage shots. We have options.

It is. But our rookies are not ready to have a steady hand down the stretch yet. And considering Berry has not been out there to close games, he might not either. That’s why Greer is in the game to close every competitive game. And today he did not even have a decent game.

Yes! Finally closed one out at College Park.

It is. But our rookies are not ready to have a steady hand down the stretch yet. And considering Berry has not been out there to close games, he might not either. That’s why Greer is in the game to close every competitive game. And today he did not even have a decent game.
Greer might have saved this game for us. Ice in his veins on those free throws after Buie's miss-and-foul.

Much like last year's Maryland win I am not inspired by this, but a road win is a road win.

Encouraged by the defensive intensity, and the fact that there are multiple guys on the floor at any given time that can make shots.
It was an ugly one for sure. In a place we had never won in.

Reactions: drewjin
Greer might have saved this game for us. Ice in his veins on those free throws after Buie's miss-and-foul.
Yes, we needed Greer’s steadiness there. But the key phase of the game in my opinion belongs to Nance. After a series of bad shot choices by Buie and Audige, with just under 3 minutes left and our lead down to three, Nance landed an offensive rebound off an Audige shot with the shot clock expiring, took his time and got it in the basket. Then he tapped out a rebound to Greer. Then Nance buries a deep 2 off the dribble from a clean look, we’re up by 7 and Maryland has to call timeout.

Nance was the man today.Just clutch down the stretch.Greer two gigantic free throws to help ice it.I don’t know if this team has it in them,but just a bit more poise and we are pretty good. Big win to start the BIG season.

Reactions: NREPP Fraud
I really don’t remember us ever having this kind of athletic depth before.

Yes, they’re freshmen offensively, but Roper and Simmons are adding a lot of defensive depth. Plus, Young providing offense off the bench means there’s less drop off when the second group is in.

It’s early, but I’m hopeful this team will continue to be fun to watch this year.

Greer is just solid and dependable.
Those FT's were clutch. Absolutely had to have them and he got it done. Buie hit the 2nd set of 1 and 1's after a crucial miss and gift 3 FT's on the other end. He'll have more opportunities like today so glad he a chance to get rid of the bad taste from the first miss.

A road win it huge at this time of the year.

Yes, they’re freshmen offensively, but Roper and Simmons are adding a lot of defensive depth. Plus, Young providing offense off the bench means there’s less drop off when the second group is in.

It’s early, but I’m hopeful this team will continue to be fun to watch this year.
We played 11 today. There were a few minutes in the 2nd half where the offensive options were limited. But on the defensive end there was not a falloff.

I got a little worried when Nicholson came in and touched the ball. But he even looked like he knew what he was doing.

This is a solid team that’s building confidence. And the computer rankings (Torvik, BPI, KenPom) all have us in the top 50. We are 37 in KenPom now. Gotta win in real life but it’s a good first 8 games.

A road win it huge at this time of the year.

We played 11 today. There were a few minutes in the 2nd half where the offensive options were limited. But on the defensive end there was not a falloff.

I got a little worried when Nicholson came in and touched the ball. But he even looked like he knew what he was doing.

This is a solid team that’s building confidence. And the computer rankings (Torvik, BPI, KenPom) all have us in the top 50. We are 37 in KenPom now. Gotta win in real life but it’s a good first 8 games.
Can someone remind me when Nicholson entered the game? End of first half?

Can someone remind me when Nicholson entered the game? End of first half?
He came in a few seconds before the 8:00 time out in the first half. PWB's analysis would put him at -3 in plus / minus in 28 seconds of PT.

08:27SUB IN by NICHOLSON,MATTHEW
08:1618
Maryland
18GOOD 3PTR by HART,HAKIM
--ASSIST by WAHAB,QUDUS
07:59MISS 3PTR by BUIE,BOO
--REBOUND DEF by TEAM
07:59TIMEOUT MEDIA by TEAM
07:59SUB OUT by WRIGHT,SIMON
07:59SUB IN by SCOTT,DONTA
07:59SUB OUT by NICHOLSON,MATTHEW
07:59SUB IN by NANCE,PETE

Simmons and Roper are the kind of long athletic players you see on top teams. Berry is athletic also but Roper and Simmons just have a different look. They are both really good defensively already. The athleticism on this team is pretty good.

Simmons and Roper are the kind of long athletic players you see on top teams. Berry is athletic also but Roper and Simmons just have a different look. They are both really good defensively already. The athleticism on this team is pretty good.
And I’ll add that their presence was helpful beyond the stat sheet. We got into foul trouble as a team as it was, but we could have had multiple people with severe individual foul trouble if some minutes weren’t capably soaked up along the way.

We need to keep it going. We are better than maryland but its an away bigten that couldnt be taken for granted. Always a good win. Love it!

Cats have depth, size and some athletic players. Also have a good mix of experience and youth.

It’s a scary thought, but the season turns on the play of Boo Buie. If he plays smart and disciplined the Cats could have a really good season. He he chucks up 3’s from 26 feet, and goes to the “floater” too often the cats are in trouble and should use Greer in crunch time.

On the other hand, if Boo takes care of the ball, plays aggressively, but smart, the cats are going to the tourney!

Let me help some of Boo haters out here.

Man, he really needs to shut his mouth with the refs. There are a bunch of calls going against him, and some of them might be helped if he would just keep his mouth shut.

He's obviously getting a reputation, and it's pretty well deserved.

Reactions: The Purple Knight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT