ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for NU vs. UNO

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
I'm not going to pretend to know very much about the Privateers. I couldn't make it to the game tonight, but I'll be watching from the couch.

Lot of empty seats.

Kopp playing well!

New Orleand playing with more intensity and energy by far. I want to see more effort on D, boys.

A lot of missed 3's. Why the heck don't we post up Pardon and Benson more? Really look confused on offense.

Reactions: drewjin
Lots of standing around on offense. Not enough off the ball movement, screens, cuts, etc. Just a low energy game for NU so far whereas NO playing like everything is on the line. Hats off to them as they are generating their own energy.

New Orleans has settled down and disrupted our halfcourt offense. Why not try posting up Benson and working inside out?

So few points in the paint. And getting outworked on the boards. Yes, we are winning, but...

Lots of standing around on offense. Not enough off the ball movement, screens, cuts, etc. Just a low energy game for NU so far whereas NO playing like everything is on the line. Hats off to them as they are generating their own energy.
U r right. We need to rotate around the ball more.

Come on Ash! Where's the thunder dunk?? He had that eye-opening jam his freshman year and then on a 1-0 break, he lays it in???

Not a lot of looks to the inside, but I’m seeing opportunities there.

Gaines has been a bit disappointing so far. Hope he bounces back for the second half.

Turner looks very fluid as a ballhandler, which is good to see.

Taylor is as advertised -- can set his feet and knock down 3s.

Nance and Kopp are still getting used to college speed but don't look completely overwhelmed.

Law and Pardon are without question the core of this team.

Reactions: LansingCat
I really like laws intensity tonight, I wonder if this is a result of his off-season surgery .

Brick-fest. Better wake up in the second half or this is going to be more interesting than it should.

NO playing pretty well after a bad start, getting some easy buckets off us - I also hope Gaines settles down and we get a little more going on inside. This is going to be a rough season if we’re standing around jacking threes.

Was that about 7 minutes without a made shot to end the half? Shades of last season.

Halftime, and I don't think we've seen Greer yet . Let's run them out of the gym in the second half

Gaines has been a bit disappointing so far. Hope he bounces back for the second half.

Turner looks very fluid as a ballhandler, which is good to see.

Taylor is as advertised -- can set his feet and knock down 3s.

Nance and Kopp are still getting used to college speed but don't look completely overwhelmed.

Law and Pardon are without question the core of this team.
Gaines has turned the ball over three times already.

Credit to UNO. They play hard on both ends of the court. We still don't seem to have a plan on offense. A lot of standing around and watching our two-man pick and roll offense. Not sure why we don't cut more without the ball or try to post up any number of guys.

Wow... 18-4 UNO advantage in the paint. That is unacceptable. I didn't realize that until the guys in the studio said it at halftime. That's a recipe for a bad season. Hope they emphasize getting in the paint in the second half.

Not a perfect half by any stretch, but a lot to like. Still expect a comfortable win (famous last words? Perhaps.)
  • Law: Wow. Unquestioned leader. Now that he doesn't have to deal with the egos of BMac and Scottie (no offense to them, it just is what it is) he is the "old man" of the group and guys listen because he leads by example. Immediately after Collins chewed them out for rebounding, he absolutely snatches one out of the air.
  • Pardon: Needs to get more touches. Plain and simple. Looks as good as ever.
  • Kopp is going to be really good. I like his passing ability and overall tenacity. And he has a smooth stroke that will only get better as he gets up to speed.
  • Gaines is a stellar defender but is not quite there on the offensive side of the ball. Can already imagine situations late in games where he and Kopp are subbed in and out for offense/defense.
  • Turner and Ash look like they can effectively get the offense set up. Still not really threats as shooters.
  • Taylor can make shots. He's trying on defense. Can break a scoring drought.
  • Benson is as energetic as ever. Could play the same role as Skelly, in certain situations. Otherwise I don't see him stealing that many minutes from Pardon.
  • Nance is going to have to be more than an occasional 3-point shooter to get playing time. Needs to rebound with two hands.

Reactions: LansingCat
Not sure what you guys are seeing, I think Pardon is having a miserable game. He is getting massively outrebounded, regularly out of position on D, and not sealing his guy to get the ball in the post. What do you see him doing so well??

Really impressed with how well Kopp is playing in his limited action. I think Nance will be good once he realizes he’s not the best player on the floor...yet. His rebounding was a little strange, like he’s used to getting those boards without having to go strong. I bet his second half is much better.

Seems like there are maybe seven or eight guys who might lead the Cats in scoring in any given game this year.

Someday they’re going to write songs about Law and Pardon. Thrilled they’re the clear leaders on this team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT