ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for NU vs. UNO

Not sure what you guys are seeing, I think Pardon is having a miserable game. He is getting massively outrebounded, regularly out of position on D, and not sealing his guy to get the ball in the post. What do you see him doing so well??

Maybe it's all relative. Absolutely nothing going on offense this half. He's technically the only NU player shooting better than 50%. Team as a whole is below 30%.

CCC has his work cut out for him this season. I think there is talent on this team, but they don't know how to work together offensively at all yet. Not having a single guy who can dribble drive and attack the D is a problem.

CCC has his work cut out for him this season. I think there is talent on this team, but they don't know how to work together offensively at all yet. Not having a single guy who can dribble drive and attack the D is a problem.
We have about 5 inches on them at every position and I have only seen us send the ball into the post 3 or 4 times this entire game. It makes no sense.

Reactions: drewjin
Turner has something like 4 or 5 missed bunnies that I think will start going in more then missing soon enough.

The offense is starting to come around here about midway through the second half. I'm seeing some sharp cuts and good passes

We have about 5 inches on them at every position and I have only seen us send the ball into the post 3 or 4 times this entire game. It makes no sense.

McIntosh would've picked them apart.

Reactions: drewjin
The "best 5" that I predicted would be the starting lineup are getting it done.

Turner-Taylor-Gaines-Law-Pardon

Have to give credit, they pulled through and found a way even when the shooting was ice cold. Lots of room for improvement, but a win is a win in the end. Credit to New Orleans who gave max effort for as long as they could.

Pretty clear that UNO was playing really hard and that let them hang around. But then, they just ran out of gas. They were no longer guarding as intensely or scrapping for rebounds. We simply wore them down. That's new for Northwestern and kind of fun to watch.

Reactions: ricko654321
Pretty clear that UNO was playing really hard and that let them hang around. But then, they just ran out of gas. They were no longer guarding as intensely or scrapping for rebounds. We simply wore them down. That's new for Northwestern and kind of fun to watch.

Yeah, that might not work so well in conference play, but it's nice to have some depth while Collins figures out how to get all these pieces to fit together.

Yeah, that might not work so well in conference play, but it's nice to have some depth while Collins figures out how to get all these pieces to fit together.
We go about nine or ten deep without giving up much. I thought Gaines looked very good tonight. Both Nance and Kopp did alright and will do better. Kopp can shoot. By the way in just a few minutes of play at the end, I thought Greer is an excellent fundamental player. Give all the freshmen some time and they will be fine.
Taylor is a pure shooter

Last year's team doesn't win this game by 30. We're at the point where we were able to out-talent and out-depth an inferior team to the tune of a blowout while we weren't playing nearly that well. This is a totally different kind of team than I'm used to and I'm excited to see more of it.

Last year's team doesn't win this game by 30. We're at the point where we were able to out-talent and out-depth an inferior team to the tune of a blowout while we weren't playing nearly that well. This is a totally different kind of team than I'm used to and I'm excited to see more of it.
Macintosh would have turned the ball over three to four times already. Ash has not turned the ball over once. Our ball distribution when Ash is lead guard is excellent! Plus Ash is our best defensive player,besides Law! Taylor was amazing tonight! Difference maker. Mac was a hog and did not play defense. Great team effort.

Exactly. For how disappointed people were at halftime, it's a 30-point win! For Northwestern! And they didn't even play that well. Yeah, New Orleans isn't that great, but so what? Last year's opening game was pretty scary. That certainly wasn't a 30-point blowout that the Cats won wire-to-wire.

Reactions: Alan Smithee

I wonder if he’s referring to me as “one scribe” here.
Loyola drew a thousand under its capacity for its opener where they raised a Final Four banner. Fans will turn out for the big games (Nevada is a sellout) but this is a crowded market and a pro town so people don't just show up for any game. Big Ten games will fill Welsh Ryan and we know purple lower seats are all sold even if they don't always show for early season games. Exhibition game sold out but there were lots of empties. Oh, and did you see the "crowd" at DePaul's game last night? Now that was pathetic.

Reactions: Fitz51 and NUCat320
Exactly. For how disappointed people were at halftime, it's a 30-point win! For Northwestern! And they didn't even play that well. Yeah, New Orleans isn't that great, but so what? Last year's opening game was pretty scary. That certainly wasn't a 30-point blowout that the Cats won wire-to-wire.
This team has depth. Taylor is a better shooter than Lindsey. Kopp is better than Skelly. Then there’s Turner and Nance. We will miss BMac in the early going but compared to the end of last year this team is significantly deeper and better.

Loyola drew a thousand under its capacity for its opener where they raised a Final Four banner. Fans will turn out for the big games (Nevada is a sellout) but this is a crowded market and a pro town so people don't just show up for any game. Big Ten games will fill Welsh Ryan and we know purple lower seats are all sold even if they don't always show for early season games. Exhibition game sold out but there were lots of empties. Oh, and did you see the "crowd" at DePaul's game last night? Now that was pathetic.
I thought we didn’t have enough seats?

Yes, the conference games will likely sell out but there will still be a lot of visible opponents fans since the old purple seat group will sell to them. Maybe they should reduce the capacity by two or three thousand. Did I just type that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT