ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread: Northwestern vs. UTEP

NUwin.gif

Nice big win at home to break the losing streak. Let the post-Fitz era begin. Duke game will be tough on the road. But offense was finally unleashed and got plenty of points on the board. Like how both offense and defense stepped it up in the 2nd half. Both lines looked better as well esp. in the 2nd half.

Reactions: rmndcat and zeek55
Holliday Bowl, San Diego maybe?
That Fitz halftime speech and 2nd half team performance against Utah will always be one of the greatest moments in our program history.

I'm optimistic today, there was a lot today that should translate moving forwards.

There are a couple teams on our schedule that we should compete well against if we play like this.

That Fitz halftime speech and 2nd half team performance against Utah will always be one of the greatest moments in our program history.

I'm optimistic today, there was a lot today that should translate moving forwards.

There are a couple teams on our schedule that we should compete well against if we play like this.
The future of the Holiday Bowl is in doubt. The PAC12 has been sued by the bowl committee to recover funds from the fiasco when UCLA pulled out hours before the bowl game a few years ago because of Covid. The PAC12 has been a consistent participant but with their demise the BigTen should return as a participant to full the void. The bowl game is now held downtown in the Gaslamp Quarter at Petco Park. The Padres spent around $2M to alter the ballpark to accommodate the Holiday Bowl field footprint so it’s a much better game experience and newer venue than the old stadium in Mission Valley when we beat Utah.

The future of the Holiday Bowl is in doubt. The PAC12 has been sued by the bowl committee to recover funds from the fiasco when UCLA pulled out hours before the bowl game a few years ago because of Covid. The PAC12 has been a consistent participant but with their demise the BigTen should return as a participant to full the void. The bowl game is now held downtown in the Gaslamp Quarter at Petco Park. The Padres spent around $2M to alter the ballpark to accommodate the Holiday Bowl field footprint so it’s a much better game experience and newer venue than the old stadium in Mission Valley when we beat Utah.
I'd imagine the Big Ten will want to take over the Holiday Bowl as an extra place to put one of the West Coast teams each year.

Already have Las Vegas and Phoenix in the mix, so a California based bowl makes a ton of sense; especially given we already will have teams in LA.

Reactions: rmndcat
Agree. D was good. O most organized in years. Special teams pretty good. Effort was a A all the way around. I hope David wins six, and the job!
Six wins is a distinct possibility. Illinois is still struggling, and the West actually isn't doing all that great tonight. Seven- eight wins might not be a stretch if they can keep improving! Too bad Minny is beating up my Eagles. I am hoping they(EMU) can make a bowl this season as they are predicted to not do as well as last season.

Its always fun to read the comments after I get home from a game to see just how negative people were.
Nice going, guys! Love those overreactions!

Rutgers is much better than UTEP, much more physical and has a pretty good defense.
UTEP was not very good, so we played better against them.
Our line play is not good enough on either side of the ball for Big Ten opponents - at least so far.
Bryant is a capable quarterback. If he is hurt, thats bad.
(He took a pretty big hit on his right shoulder down on the goal line).
Gallagher and Mueller are decent linebackers and are important to the defense. (Duh)

Everybody on the field for us will make a bad play every now and then.

Oh and Braun was not an overmatched moron last week and is not suddenly a genius this week.

Its always fun to read the comments after I get home from a game to see just how negative people were.
Nice going, guys! Love those overreactions!

Rutgers is much better than UTEP, much more physical and has a pretty good defense.
UTEP was not very good, so we played better against them.
Our line play is not good enough on either side of the ball for Big Ten opponents - at least so far.
Bryant is a capable quarterback. If he is hurt, thats bad.
(He took a pretty big hit on his right shoulder down on the goal line).
Gallagher and Mueller are decent linebackers and are important to the defense. (Duh)

Everybody on the field for us will make a bad play every now and then.

Oh and Braun was not an overmatched moron last week and is not suddenly a genius this week.
That is a fair comment. But I also think it's reasonable to conclude that last year's team would have lost today.

Last edited:
If they stay healthy & keep improving, they can notch a win or two in conference.
The West isn't that great this season thus far, if Braun can keep this team improving week to week, they can notch 4 conference wins and make a bowl! I think they can hit 5-6 conference wins if they catch some of the better teams off guard. I like our weapons on offense.

Reactions: rmndcat and drewjin
This rebuild is going to take more than 3 seasons. Only hiring Urban Meyer will get the program up and running in less time and I don't think we want that. I am still with Corbi on going for Lewis, but we will have to endure a few more seasons of mediocre football before he can turn this around. If he can put together a really good coaching crew from the get go we will be in good shape.
Why not?

Urban!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT