ADVERTISEMENT

Good game from a Dukie

Dukegang25

Sep 9, 2017
Y'all have had our number over the past few years and I honestly predicted a NW win today. I think of Fitzgerald and Cutcliffe as similar coaches who prioritize character, fundamentals and discipline over the often nauseating glitz and glamour you find at a lot of the elite programs (or even at the Duke basketball program).

The only critical thing I want to say is that it doesn't seem like many here are aware that the Duke program isn't what it was before Cut came here. No P5 team should ever get blown out by Duke? We won 27 games in 3 years (2013-2015) and blew out teams like Miami, NC State, UVA, Georgia Tech and others. We played in the ACC Championship Game a few years ago and went to 4 straight bowl games, beating a Big 10 team to cap it off.

You lost to a good team today with a QB who will get Heisman hype before he graduates. A little credit to Duke might help the loss go down more smoothly. Believe me - Duke fans know plenty about dealing with bad losses.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Y'all have had our number over the past few years and I honestly predicted a NW win today. I think of Fitzgerald and Cutcliffe as similar coaches who prioritize character, fundamentals and discipline over the often nauseating glitz and glamour you find at a lot of the elite programs (or even at the Duke basketball program).

The only critical thing I want to say is that it doesn't seem like many here are aware that the Duke program isn't what it was before Cut came here. No P5 team should ever get blown out by Duke? We won 27 games in 3 years (2013-2015) and blew out teams like Miami, NC State, UVA, Georgia Tech and others. We played in the ACC Championship Game a few years ago and went to 4 straight bowl games, beating a Big 10 team to cap it off.

You lost to a good team today with a QB who will get Heisman hype before he graduates. A little credit to Duke might help the loss go down more smoothly. Believe me - Duke fans know plenty about dealing with bad losses.
Thanks. I gotta go to the couch now.

Duke's fine and doesn't get the respect it deserves but NU really sucked today. There is a difference between losing competitively and losing ugly. NU under Fitz can't seem to avoid the more than occasional ugly loss.

To be clear, Dukegang, I don't think anyone here will say "we played poorly, we are a better team, we should have beaten Duke". At least we should not. Duke is worlds better than us at the moment. Most are simply disappointed that our team, supposedly a division contender, is clearly not very good, is soft, and is poorly prepared.

We often poop our pants early and get better, but they just don't look like they care.

Oh, and I'll give you Billy Martin 5000 to one odds, I will bet you 50 bucks to a penny that Jones doesn't win the Heisman. I'm sure he is a fine player, although his completion percentage was 0.00 on plays in which we actually got decent pressure on him. Most any D1 starting QB would light up a team with that much time and space.

Enjoy the win, and thanks for the obviously sarcastic "good game" comment.

Last edited:
It's always interesting when someone is willing to exaggerate the shittiness of their own team in order to make the team they lost to sound worse. I've certainly done it before and regretted it. It's pathetic for anyone to do.

And Jones will get Heisman hype, not win the Heisman. But you're obviously upset so I understand that you didn't read carefully.

Many of you don't realize how much good it would do you just to say: "mmm well Duke was better than we thought." Instead it's mostly just this irrational hatred of your own team/coaching staff and continued ignorance of what sort of program Duke has.

I'll put it more bluntly since this board seems almost unanimous in shitting on Duke. We have won many more games than you over the past 4 years and in a tougher conference to boot (no doubt). Next time you shouldn't take us so lightly. None of us took NW lightly.

We have won many more games than you over the past 4 years...

2014 Wins: Duke 9 NU 5
2015 Wins: NU 10 Duke 8
2016 Wins: NU 7 Duke 4
2017 Wins: Duke 2 NU 1

At the moment, it looks like a draw to me. NU wins the head to head tie breaker (2-1).

Last edited:
Many of you don't realize how much good it would do you just to say: "mmm well Duke was better than we thought." Instead it's mostly just this irrational hatred of your own team/coaching staff and continued ignorance of what sort of program Duke has.

I'll put it more bluntly since this board seems almost unanimous in shitting on Duke.

No one is "shitting on Duke". Daniel is a nice prospect, but your long term "Jones for Heisman" comment might be just a taaaaaddddd premature, no?

You may not be aware, but expectations are very high for NU this season. The 'Cats were picked to finish 2nd in the division and were considered a dark horse contender for the conference title coming into 2017. The frustration you see here is a natural reaction fans watching their team getting beat by 24 points against an opponent coming off a four win season. The 'Cats must be better than that if they are going to seriously challenge for a birth in Indy.

While the Blue Devils have been a solid program under Cutcliffe, Fitz had his number coming into this match up. Are you saying the Duke fan base have never grumbled after losing to program they regularly beat? No need to respond that question. It's rhetorical.

Personally, I'm taking the middle ground. Duke has certainly improved in 2017, but NU isn't going anywhere unless the offensive and defensive lines get their act together and in a hurry. The performance by all the men in purple today wasn't acceptable. They know it and we know it. They'll get better, it's just a matter of when and to what extent.

Best of luck to Duke the rest of the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Palindrome
Some numbers for purple pile:

Duke - #8 in research universities
Northwestern - somewhere lower, who knows?

Math, lmao.

Columbuscatfan also apparently can't do math.

4 years, not 4 partial seasons. Wake up. This season is still happening, and you all better hope it is.

And yeah, Duke won 10 games in 2013. You wouldn't believe it, though, given all the nonsense spewed on this board.

And "no one is shitting on Duke"? Are you kidding me? Read your own damn board.

At the Duke 247 board, most of us predicted a NW win and some predicted a close Duke win. Almost no one predicted a solid Duke win. We have quite a bit of respect for your program, owing in no small part to you beating us in recent years.

Many of us were also shocked at the arrogance of this board before the game and the lack of credit after the game. Grouping us in with your other OOC cupcakes. Saying no P5 team should ever be blown out by Duke. If you don't see it on this board, keep looking.

A bunch of ****ing nonsense.

But hey, you guys gave the world Colbert. I'll always love NW for that.

Columbuscatfan also apparently can't do math.

4 years, not 4 partial seasons. Wake up. This season is still happening, and you all better hope it is.

And yeah, Duke won 10 games in 2013. You wouldn't believe it, though, given all the nonsense spewed on this board.

Based on your response(s), you're just trolling now, dude. It isn't a good look.

How come you limited it to 2013? Why not go back to 2012 (hint: NU won 10 and Duke won 6)? Duke hasn't won "many more games than NU" in actuality.

You can cherry pick all you want, but why not enjoy the win instead and stop acting out here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungry Jack
C'mon man. Did you cone here to wish us well or come here to find some sort of compensation for your perceived disrespecting of Duke by NU fans?

The last thing any NU fan is thinking about right now is how much respect is due Duke. We all saw how Duke whipped NU like a rented mule. We are all wondering where this team will go in what most of us thought would be a very good season.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1

At the Duke 247 board, most of us predicted a NW win and some predicted a close Duke win. Almost no one predicted a solid Duke win. We have quite a bit of respect for your program, owing in no small part to you beating us in recent years.

Many of us were also shocked at the arrogance of this board before the game and the lack of credit after the game. Grouping us in with your other OOC cupcakes. Saying no P5 team should ever be blown out by Duke. If you don't see it on this board, keep looking.

So you didn't read 95% of my post then? Cool. Maybe you'll read Hungry's...

We can agree to disagree on what constitutes "shitting on a team". A quick visit to some other BIG or SEC message boards and you may singing a different tune.

But, as I said in my previous post, best of luck to Duke the rest of the way.

Last edited:

Duke looked very sharp today, and I give them credit for that. Our team looked like crap, and when I say that, I don't mean it as a sign of disrespect for Duke. They have talent, and they played smart and disciplined football. Congrats on the win, and good luck.

Just beat it. You came here to start a fight and nobody is buying your backhanded compliments. It's a long season Einstein.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Saying no P5 team should ever be blown out by Duke. If you don't see it on this board, keep looking.
I suspect virtually every fan of every P5 team, not just NU fans, would say that their guys should not ever be blown out by Duke. Or by ANY other school’s team for that matter. Would you ever say that “Duke should be blown out" (by anyone) when you know you have numerous athletes who are supposed to be “competitive” every time out?

As realists, most NU fans would probably recognize that we’ll suffer a blowout loss now and then, but we would expect that to be at the hands of a perennial football power or a team that’s on a huge roll. Not at the hands of Duke.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT