ADVERTISEMENT

Impact on Big Ten 'when cable dies'

Interesting. Not sure I completely understand the technological evolution that is the basis for the article but I can see if this writer is correct, then the Big Ten will need to change. What is the timeframe for this type of change?
Headline references Rutgers and Maryland, but the larger point is about the Conference.
Thoughts?

http://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/big-ten-adding-rutgers-maryland-major-problem-cable-dies.html

The B10 has already taken some measures to enhance its product. Namely, it has gotten rid of FCS games. It has attempted to schedule a series of non-con games with the Pac10, but the Pac10 withdrew. Perhaps we'll see a return to non-con games with the PAC 10 or another marquee conference.

Pffft. Michigan origin of the writer explains the snobbery behind the piece.

But he has a point. Content owners like ESPN and the B1G have had a real gravy train because cabling bundling has made it very hard for consumers to shop around. Those days are starting to end. These networks will have to start selling direct, and price discriminating accordingly. I think they will adapt, but it seems pretty obvious that the days of hyper revenue growth are in the rear view mirror.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Pffft. Michigan origin of the writer explains the snobbery behind the piece.

But he has a point. Content owners like ESPN and the B1G have had a real gravy train because cabling bundling has made it very hard for consumers to shop around. Those days are starting to end. These networks will have to start selling direct, and price discriminating accordingly. I think they will adapt, but it seems pretty obvious that the days of hyper revenue growth are in the rear view mirror.

There was relatively little snobbery in that piece, and by the standards of Michigan Men (TM), it came off as humble. In all seriousness, he is 100 percent right about Rutgers. At least Maryland offers basketball tradition. But we'd be in far better shape having added OU and Kansas (focusing on basketball here) instead. That's not even in hindsight. We applied the same logic, correctly, to the Nebraska addition.

I sense that with regard to Maryland this is not at all accurate. Their 2017 football recruiting class is in the top 20 nationally (#17), they have already been squeezing into bowl games, they have big "underarm" dollars, their basketball is very much at the top, and their athletic future looks bright. Rutgers? Cue Phil Silvers...

I think I heard that Rutgers song on a Bugs Bunny cartoon once.

Is the cheer:

"Firecracker, firecracker, sis, boom bah, Rutgers, Rutgers, rah, rah, rah!"

except Bugs Bunny instead of Rutgers

Not an apt analogy if you ask me.

Rutgers is more like a Porky Pig. Or Daffy Duck.

Actually, those parts are too big for Rutgers' britches. Rutgers is more like Plankton from SpongeBob Squarepants.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT