ADVERTISEMENT

Is parking a real problem?

mybrotha

Jul 21, 2011
Please do not take umbrage with my lack of knowledge in this department, but unfortunately it's been a while since I've been to a game at NU. Last time I went though, I had to park quite a bit from the stadium. I am assuming that nothing has really changed. Do you think that this is a problem for drawing more folks to the games?

Please do not take umbrage with my lack of knowledge in this department, but unfortunately it's been a while since I've been to a game at NU. Last time I went though, I had to park quite a bit from the stadium. I am assuming that nothing has really changed. Do you think that this is a problem for drawing more folks to the games?
The rail system from the city or from the north shore is great. Plus, you do not have to drive home after the tailgate. Coming in from the western suburbs requires a car, but the school has tried to develop a shuttle bus system to help.

In my view it is a problem, but one that can be worked around. The problem is that there is no large parking garage close to Ryan Field as one finds near most college stadiums. I think the school has made good faith efforts to build a parking garage near Ryan Field but the City of Evanston has been uncooperative. Work arounds include getting to the games early and finding locations outside of half a mile where there is free street parking assuming even then you can still find an open space (lots of no parking signs on the streets close to the stadium), paying nearby residents $20 or more for the privilege of parking on their lawns (though forget that strategy as game time approaches since the lawns are packed by 30 minutes prior), or again getting to campus early and parking in one of the campus lots and then taking the free, but usually stuffed (meaning you will need to keep waiting and waiting for one with seats), shuttle buses.

Not sure if it is still available, but there used to be a park and ride lot up at the Linden "L" stop that one can park in for a reasonable fee and then either take the "L" to the Central Street station and/or walk the 3/4 or so mile distance to and/or from the stadium. Maybe the fee is no longer reasonable on game days or the "secret" has gotten out by now so that it too gets filled up early.

I have tried all of the above except that I have observed, rather than rode, the shuttle buses as they kept passing by waiting riders due to being stuffed. When at a hotel in downtown Evanston I prefer riding the "L" from the Davis Street Station to the Central Street Station and walking from there to the stadium.

Since the nonstop Alaska Airlines flight from Anchorage to O"Hare arrives early in the morning, I can sometimes make it to a Saturday game without having to miss a day of work. For last year's homecoming that worked out OK until we arrived and then there was a snafu at the gate that delayed our getting off the plane. Missing the exit to the Tollway north didn't help any though my car finally reached Ryan Field as the game was starting. There were no open spaces on any of the even distant streets, and all of the resident lawns were packed. By sheer luck a business off of Central was able to accommodate me by opening up an extra space on their premises even though it required blocking several other cars. Of course even if Northwestern had a parking garage close to Ryan Field, it probably would have been full by that time as well. The takeaway is that if you want to find parking near the stadium, the earlier you can arrive the better.

Last edited:
It seems to me that if you don't know the North Side it can be a pretty daunting challenge to find your way around and parking. There are online parking sites where you can reserve a space in a person's yard and pay in advance. My cousin lives two blocks from the stadium, and has 5 spots he used to sell on game day now they all sell on line and all he has to do is make it clear where each car goes. There is also a private school that has spaces.

NU could do a better job of publicity about how to get to games. Everyone who went to school there thinks it is easy but it's the Newbies who they are reaching out to who need some clear instruction.

In my view it is a problem, but one that can be worked around. The problem is that there is no large parking garage close to Ryan Field as one finds near most college stadiums. I think the school has made good faith efforts to build a parking garage near Ryan Field but the City of Evanston has been uncooperative. Work arounds include getting to the games early and finding locations outside of half a mile where there is free street parking assuming even then you can still find an open space (lots of no parking signs on the streets close to the stadium), paying nearby residents $20 or more for the privilege of parking on their lawns (though forget that strategy as game time approaches since the lawns are packed by 30 minutes prior), or again getting to campus early and parking in one of the campus lots and then taking the free, but usually stuffed (meaning you will need to keep waiting and waiting for one with seats), shuttle buses.

Not sure if it is still available, but there used to be a park and ride lot up at the Linden "L" stop that one can park in for a reasonable fee and then either take the "L" to the Central Street station and/or walk the 3/4 or so mile distance to and/or from the stadium. Maybe the fee is no longer reasonable on game days or the "secret" has gotten out by now so that it too gets filled up early.

I have tried all of the above except that I have observed, rather than rode, the shuttle buses as they kept passing by waiting riders due to being stuffed. When at a hotel in downtown Evanston I prefer riding the "L" from the Davis Street Station to the Central Street Station and walking from there to the stadium.

Since the nonstop Alaska Airlines flights from Anchorage to O"Hare arrives early in the morning, I can sometimes make it to a Saturday game without having to miss a day of work. For last year's homecoming that worked out OK until we arrived and then there was a snafu at the gate that delayed our getting off the plane. Missing the exit to the Tollway north didn't help any though my car finally reached Ryan Field as the game was starting. There were no open spaces on any of the even distant streets, and all of the resident lawns were packed. By sheer luck a business off of Central was able to accommodate me by opening up an extra space on their premises even though it required blocking several other cars. Of course even if Northwestern had a parking garage close to Ryan Field, it probably would have been full buy that time as well. The takeaway is that if you want to find parking near the stadium, the earlier you can arrive the better.
Having been to WIS for games as well as IA and MN, there is adequate parking closer to the stadium than in the other venues (and cheaper) . Just have to know where it is. But NU fans want toh ave it all right next to the stadium. And there in lies the problem. Expectation and bad knees. OUR fans are spoiled and don't even know it.

Since the nonstop Alaska Airlines flights from Anchorage to O"Hare arrives early in the morning, I can sometimes make it to a Saturday game without having to miss a day of work. For last year's homecoming that worked out OK until we arrived and then there was a snafu at the gate that delayed our getting off the plane. Missing the exit to the Tollway north didn't help any though my car finally reached Ryan Field as the game was starting. There were no open spaces on any of the even distant streets, and all of the resident lawns were packed. By sheer luck a business off of Central was able to accommodate me by opening up an extra space on their premises even though it required blocking several other cars. Of course even if Northwestern had a parking garage close to Ryan Field, it probably would have been full buy that time as well. The takeaway is that if you want to find parking near the stadium, the earlier you can arrive the better.
Generally that is true at other schools as well. Get there early and you have a good selection. Even so, can always go downtown Evanston and you are still not that far and find a shuttle. running from the south end of campus. People complain all the time but they don't know how good we have it.

I parked at the Linden Avenue station before the Penn State game last year and took the el over. Seemed to be plenty of space available as there is no commuter traffic on Saturday.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I think there's an open driveway available just next to the West Lot. I'm sure the Waterboy won't mind.

All kidding aside, I'll echo what others have said: You can find great parking within a half mile if you get there at least 2 to 3 hours before kickoff. The Wilmette side streets just northwest of the stadium have always had available, legal parking. (Once you get beyond the short radius of No GameDay Parking signs.) And you won't have to deal with The Fence. Or the wrath of the Waterboy.

Just to add to what others have said, if you are staying at a hotel or motel anywhere in the area, such as Evanston or Skokie, simply call the Uber. The app is free and the ride will cost you $5 - $6 and tipping is not necessary. Uber will take you wherever you want to go, irrespective of where you park. You could park anywhere free parking is available within 3 or 4 miles of the stadium and the Uber ride will be about $6 each way. Beats the hell out of parking in somebody's yard a few blocks away for $20. Otherwise, take the El to Central and walk a few blocks, or go early and park on the street.

I stopped by a tailgate in south golf course last year. Seemed like there was plenty of room to make some spots available on day of game.

Does the SPAC lot still exist? I feel like a 15-20 minute walk to a free lot is about as good as can be expected for B1G sports.

In my opinion, parking is likely a minor deterrent, but only to the people for whom parking would be a deterrent to heading to Evanston in general. That is, it's harder and more expensive to park at an NU game than it is at a mall.

I stopped by a tailgate in south golf course last year. Seemed like there was plenty of room to make some spots available on day of game.
Agree that NU should be able to make game day spots available in all but the east lot. Also think that a muti-level garage maybe in the north corner of the west lot would solve a lot of the problems. If Evanston does their usual, hate the university thing , then just build it in Wilmette, as I'm sure their residents would love it.

My biggest complaint is not in the parking lots them selves but the traffic flow on Central. The Evanston Police really don't do much to move it along . That could easily be remedied by having one way travel on Central and the opposite on Lincoln but they just don't care to interrupt the Evenston residents who have to drop off the dry cleaning in the middle of a game and are put out by our seven Saturday a year inconvenience

I believe that the parking issue, as well as the overall gameday experience, have become worse with the new Big Ten starting times. I hate the night games because they deprive me of a Saturday night out with my wife. Yes, she comes to the games, but it is not a preferred Saturday night activity. I also believe it is harder to park in Evanston at night as homeowners are themselves going out and do not want to leave the home with cars parked in the driveway or the yard. The 11:00 starts are even worse. Those needing parking spots must be in Evanston by around 9:00 or 9:30 - an obscene hour on a weekend morning. I take the train, but who really wants to rise early on a Saturday morning, wolf down a breakfast while skimming the Tribune, and catch the el or Metro from the loop to Evanston? Its like another work day. It all but eliminates pre-game tailgating, both by logistics and the lack of interest in drinking at 10:00 in the morning. Postgame tailgating is fine and we can watch the late games at the tailgate, but what a price to pay before then. The 3:00 time is by far the most convenient, though it nearly eliminates postgame tailgating by running into the dinner hour. I really wish we'd go back to 1:00 or 1:30 starts and tell the TV gurus to go F**k themselves - but that is not going to happen.

My biggest complaint is not in the parking lots them selves but the traffic flow on Central. The Evanston Police really don't do much to move it along . That could easily be remedied by having one way travel on Central and the opposite on Lincoln but they just don't care to interrupt the Evenston residents who have to drop off the dry cleaning in the middle of a game and are put out by our seven Saturday a year inconvenience

If you've ever tried to leave a game at Penn State, Central seems like no problem at all.

I believe that the parking issue, as well as the overall gameday experience, have become worse with the new Big Ten starting times. I hate the night games because they deprive me of a Saturday night out with my wife. Yes, she comes to the games, but it is not a preferred Saturday night activity. I also believe it is harder to park in Evanston at night as homeowners are themselves going out and do not want to leave the home with cars parked in the driveway or the yard. The 11:00 starts are even worse. Those needing parking spots must be in Evanston by around 9:00 or 9:30 - an obscene hour on a weekend morning. I take the train, but who really wants to rise early on a Saturday morning, wolf down a breakfast while skimming the Tribune, and catch the el or Metro from the loop to Evanston? Its like another work day. It all but eliminates pre-game tailgating, both by logistics and the lack of interest in drinking at 10:00 in the morning. Postgame tailgating is fine and we can watch the late games at the tailgate, but what a price to pay before then. The 3:00 time is by far the most convenient, though it nearly eliminates postgame tailgating by running into the dinner hour. I really wish we'd go back to 1:00 or 1:30 starts and tell the TV gurus to go F**k themselves - but that is not going to happen.

I also hate the 11 a.m. times, which they seem to leave for NU so Ohio State, Michigan etc. can get the featured 3:30 slots. I remember when Goose Island was giving away free pre-game beer for a while. I had trouble getting excited about it at 9:30-10 in the morning, which is a little early for me to hit the alcohol. Also gives me little time to find any of these legendary tailgates I read about from other posters. :)

Does the SPAC lot still exist? I feel like a 15-20 minute walk to a free lot is about as good as can be expected for B1G sports.

In my opinion, parking is likely a minor deterrent, but only to the people for whom parking would be a deterrent to heading to Evanston in general. That is, it's harder and more expensive to park at an NU game than it is at a mall.

The SPAC lot is now a parking garage, so it is still possible to park there.

I try to ride my bike to games as much as possible - and maybe someday NU will get my feedback about adding more bike racks - but if I drive I can find parking just west of Green Bay without much trouble. Navigating the free parking options probably is probably a bit intimidating for new-comers, but the official transportation options (campus lots, downtown EV lots, el, Metra) are all pretty reasonable, especially when compared to most of the other places I've attended games.

Reactions: Noah121
"Alaskawildkat, post: 283698, member: 572"]In my view it is a problem, but one that can be worked around."
This is what I had surmised. People are lazy and many uninformed. While you dedicated Cat fans know the ins and outs of parking in and around the stadium, the cursory Cat fans do not and more than likely don't care to. What truly seems to be needed are those lots or garages VERY close to Ryan field. What's needed now is for the bandwagon fan to be able to get to a game and spread the good word. Our fan base is just to small, you simply can't be out cheered at your own home games.

I also hate the 11 a.m. times, which they seem to leave for NU so Ohio State, Michigan etc. can get the featured 3:30 slots. I remember when Goose Island was giving away free pre-game beer for a while. I had trouble getting excited about it at 9:30-10 in the morning, which is a little early for me to hit the alcohol. Also gives me little time to find any of these legendary tailgates I read about from other posters. :)
Free beer even at 9:30am excites me.

It seems to me that if you don't know the North Side it can be a pretty daunting challenge to find your way around and parking. There are online parking sites where you can reserve a space in a person's yard and pay in advance. My cousin lives two blocks from the stadium, and has 5 spots he used to sell on game day now they all sell on line and all he has to do is make it clear where each car goes. There is also a private school that has spaces.

NU could do a better job of publicity about how to get to games. Everyone who went to school there thinks it is easy but it's the Newbies who they are reaching out to who need some clear instruction.
I parked at the Linden Avenue station before the Penn State game last year and took the el over. Seemed to be plenty of space available as there is no commuter traffic on Saturday.
The school needs to purchase advertising on the EL lines showing how easy it is to get to games.

The school needs to purchase advertising on the EL lines showing how easy it is to get to games.
How about express L service from downtown and the Northside of Chicago on game days. Ditto express bus from the west, maybe Rosemont with parking included. If NU hopes to attract the casual football fan they have got to take steps to make attending the game a trouble free experience.

I really wish we'd go back to 1:00 or 1:30 starts and tell the TV gurus to go F**k themselves - but that is not going to happen.

Can't pay Fitzy $2 million+ a year (and the really good coaches 3x or 4x that) and tell the TV guys to go f**k themselves. So, since we want the dopes who coach these teams to get paid like that then we gotta play along. I think when the opponent is good - almost any B10 team and usually one in our non-conference - then I don't care what time the kickoff is. I've actually come to appreciate the beauty of the 11am start and having some of the day left at the end to enjoy part of the late game from home.

How about express L service from downtown and the Northside of Chicago on game days. Ditto express bus from the west, maybe Rosemont with parking included. If NU hopes to attract the casual football fan they have got to take steps to make attending the game a trouble free experience.

Actually they've had an express bus (Pace) in the past that came from Woodfield area. Not sure if they'll have it this year. Guessing not much demand.

Well, good for you guys. I'm getting too old to start that early. Glad you're drinking Pennsylvania beer, though.
pawildcat,

I'm 73. When you come out for a game, let me know, and we can crack a Yuengling together at 8:30 at our tailgate. By the time the game is over, you'll feel fine and can come back to the tailgate. If you stay in the area, simply take the Uber to and from the game. See you in the Fall!

pawildcat,

I'm 73. When you come out for a game, let me know, and we can crack a Yuengling together at 8:30 at our tailgate. By the time the game is over, you'll feel fine and can come back to the tailgate. If you stay in the area, simply take the Uber to and from the game. See you in the Fall!

Don't be fooled NC, Pa can hold his own. I got the first Yuengling for both of you.

pawildcat,

OK, ya got me beat in the senior citizen drinking category. Hope to get to a game in Evanston this year as I did last year, but it will depend on the money flow. If not, we'll definitely have to get together for the game at Maryland in 2017. Maybe I can bring some Troeg's along from Hershey. They make some decent ale.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT