ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Brown

Think Collins said during pre-game interview that he was out with a knee. Once again NU has only 12 schlorship players and Turner is sitting out the year and Rap injured for the entire season. Now Ash is out and maybe Mac. Wonder when they will have a full 13 man roster.
Willy man, I love ya, but I've been hanging out here for over a decade and can't remember if you've ever gotten this word right. It's scholarship...like a scholar and a ship.

Maybe we can do a mnemonic: Johnnie Vassar is now a scholar whose ship has sailed. Stop bringing him up.

Willy man, I love ya, but I've been hanging out here for over a decade and can't remember if you've ever gotten this word right. It's scholarship...like a scholar and a ship.

Maybe we can do a mnemonic: Johnnie Vassar is now a scholar whose ship has sailed. Stop bringing him up.
Thanks, maybe I'll just blame "Spellcheck" or I missed school spelling day. Guess I should be thrilled that you follow my posts so closely.

Thanks, maybe I'll just blame "Spellcheck" or I missed school spelling day. Guess I should be thrilled that you follow my posts so closely.

You forgot to end your post with: Now get off my lawn!

With Ash maybe needing surgery,and Mac graduating. We need to do our best to develop Brown. Brown looked dang tough in first half vs MSU!

The drive and step back mid range jumper was beautiful-continuing to the rim leads to difficult or blocked shots for IB and he doesn't draw enough fouls. He should emulate the Rutgers guard who chewed us up with drive, step back and pop

The drive and step back mid range jumper was beautiful-continuing to the rim leads to difficult or blocked shots for IB and he doesn't draw enough fouls. He should emulate the Rutgers guard who chewed us up with drive, step back and pop
Brown looked good doing the stop back jumper. I agree

Should have been playing all year.. oh well. Hopefully he doesn't leave at this point.

Should have been playing all year.. oh well. Hopefully he doesn't leave at this point.

Weren’t the last two minutes classic Isiah? A great drive, a nice steal, then a crazy pass and missing 10 seconds on a chance to foul. But there is something there if he and Collins can both commit to working on it. I hope he sticks around and becomes a leader on next year’s team.

He's drawn more fouls per 40 minutes than any other player on our team for two years running.

He's not a savior or anything, and certainly makes some frustrating plays, but he brings something on the offensive end of the floor that our other player's don't.

He's drawn more fouls per 40 minutes than any other player on our team for two years running.

He's not a savior or anything, and certainly makes some frustrating plays, but he brings something on the offensive end of the floor that our other player's don't.

This. Exactly.

Isiah Brown scored 11 points in 16 minutes. He and Gaines turned a 7 point deficit into a 9 point lead in the first half and then he sat for way too long in the second half. Lindsey and Skelly turned the ball over on key possessions and Cowan flopped really well. That kid has great acting ability. Overall, NU is still fighting to the end. Pardon with another strong 14 pts. performance on 5-6 shooting. Maybe CC needs to look at the box score and tell the guards to feed him the ball more. Positives: Brown, Pardon and Gaines. Negatives: Falzon still not hitting open looks at 1-4 and key TOs in Lindsey and Skelly leading to fast break opportunities for a NIT bound Maryland squad.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Isiah Brown scored 11 points in 16 minutes. He and Gaines turned a 7 point deficit into a 9 point lead in the first half and then he sat for way too long in the second half. Lindsey and Skelly turned the ball over on key possessions and Cowan flopped really well. That kid has great acting ability. Overall, NU is still fighting to the end. Pardon with another strong 14 pts. performance on 5-6 shooting. Maybe CC needs to look at the box score and tell the guards to feed him the ball more. Positives: Brown, Pardon and Gaines. Negatives: Falzon still not hitting open looks at 1-4 and key TOs in Lindsey and Skelly leading to fast break opportunities for a NIT bound Maryland squad.
I told ya walkerfan that Brown can play. I wanted a two guard lineup with Brown playing 20 minutes a game! No one listened to me. Brown is our most athletic guard. Let’s develop him.

I really don't want to rip on him more...but he literally can not pass the ball, every single one of his passes in these last two minutes was tipped, contested or bad

... He's not a savior or anything, and certainly makes some frustrating plays, but he brings something on the offensive end of the floor that our other player's don't.

Agree ... well, except that he brings something that other player's dont. We have a few guys who can drive the lane out of control.

But to your point, not many have that stop-jump shot. He should have used that more.

The last two games have proven Brown's an acceptable player. If there weren't any disciplinary problems, he got f'd.

A school like Idaho State would take Brown in a minute. The Big Sky is a guards league and transfers from the PAC-12 often find major minutes and high scoring opportunities in this conference. If Brown chooses to leave NU he will have no problem finding another scholarship opportunity.
Maybe after he got his degree. Can't imagine a degree from Idaho State is what he would want

The major recruiting sites is what we have readily available...Can you offer any evidence that Big Sky schools offered him out of HS? They obviously could have offered him before, at the same time, or after NU offered him, and most of them probably knew about him even before NU did. If none did offer, why would so many of them want him now? He doesn't seem to have raised his athletic profile (from its level, following HS).
Maybe because he would only be there for two, (three if he had to sit out one) not four or five years. Probably also physically more mature. Still would he want a degree from there or NU?

Do you know what happened to Jordan? All I heard is lower body.
Talked to him last night. He is done for the year. He told me what it was but since the school has not let it out and I don't know if he would be ok with the info out, let's just say lower body injury. Knee related

Last edited:
Last time, I checked Maryland was jumping the passing lanes which means they were aggressively going for steals all night long. There were more examples of Lindsey failing on pass attempts or his falling down on dribble penetration or his failure to pass the ball to Brown with 10 seconds left in the first half and going one on three and losing the ball and then falling down.

Also, Skelly poor passing hurt the team more last night and his 1 for 9 shooting also did not help. My point is that Maryland active hands caused all NU players from completing clean passes. As stated by the prior poster, Brown offers something that no one on the bench and maybe only McIntosh has done in spurts this season, break guys down off the dribble. Too bad our coaching staff is unable to recognize that skill which would have helped when we go through 5-10 minutes of failing to make a bucket in UM game in Ann Arbor or Rutgers or MSU game, etc.

Bad defense swamped our ship this year. There is no denying that Brown is both 1) an occasionally inattentive defender, and 2) an occasionally reckless passer whose mistakes can lead to opponent fast breaks. But he's athletic enough to get better at both of those things with a summer of hard work and a real chance from Collins to play through his mistakes.

Reactions: Dugan15
Glad to see Brown taking advantage of the opportunity. Right now it is all about building towards next year. No reason not to continue to develop Gaines, Brown and Falzone.

Maybe after he got his degree. Can't imagine a degree from Idaho State is what he would want
Depends on what he is majoring in. Idaho State has a highly rated business school and is in the top 10 in passing the CPA exam. ISU also has an excellent college of health professions. And not a bad athletic administration program.

So, as I was explaining to my high school buddy at the MSU game : Yeah, Brown has a lot of athleticism but has a history of making a lot of poor game time decisions. The Sparty fan sitting in front of us turned around and said: 'That's what my ex said about me.'

Reactions: haywood jahblowme
Bad defense swamped our ship this year. There is no denying that Brown is both 1) an occasionally inattentive defender, and 2) an occasionally reckless passer whose mistakes can lead to opponent fast breaks. But he's athletic enough to get better at both of those things with a summer of hard work and a real chance from Collins to play through his mistakes.
Exactly the same thing we said last year. In my view he simply is not a Big Ten basketball player and certainly not a point guard. Hopefully, Ash will make a good recovery so we'll have someone to back up Lathon next season

Exactly the same thing we said last year. In my view he simply is not a Big Ten basketball player and certainly not a point guard. Hopefully, Ash will make a good recovery so we'll have someone to back up Lathon next season

Still believe that Brown is better than Ash,

Reactions: Walker Fan
Without question Mikewebb68 makes an astute observation. Ash needs to be a defensive stopper and we did not see that this season. We did see that he worked on his outside shot, but he is nowhere near a Big 10 level offensive player.

I sure hope Lathon is good! We need Brown next year. I’m happy with his development. He needs more time starting! I still see Ash starting next year. He is very physical,but may not be durable! We need Lathon and Brown for sure.

Still believe that Brown is better than Ash,
Maybe, although I'm not wild about either one, and Brown is certainly not a point guard and never has been. In your opinion, who will back up Lathon at the point next year. (By the way, I'm convinced that Hall is better than Malnati!)

Reactions: IGNORE2
So, as I was explaining to my high school buddy at the MSU game : Yeah, Brown has a lot of athleticism but has a history of making a lot of poor game time decisions. The Sparty fan sitting in front of us turned around and said: 'That's what my ex said about me.'
And both were right

The problem seems that he is sized as a PG but often plays more like he thinks he is a 2

Brown is not a point guard? Please explain?
A point guard is a player who initiates the offense and typically leads the team in assists. Brown simply doesn't do those things very well. See also hdhntr1's comment above, with which I'm in total agreement. Brown reminds me in many respects of Tre Demps who was clearly a 2, and so is Brown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT