ADVERTISEMENT

Jake hired as analyst by Utah

Jake haha. Started out on the east coast, landed in the Midwest, now goes out west.

Would love to know just for curiosity's sake how that all went down. Like, does Jake plant seeds during bowl week? Does Braun put in a good word, letting Wittingham know he's looking for something to hold him over for the season?

Would love to know just for curiosity's sake how that all went down. Like, does Jake plant seeds during bowl week? Does Braun put in a good word, letting Wittingham know he's looking for something to hold him over for the season?
It was common knowledge before the bowl game that it was the last game for Jake as the Northwestern OC.

Jake haha. Started out on the east coast, landed in the Midwest, now goes out west.
Huh?

Football coaches, like some careers, have to relocate often.

I wish Coach Bajakian all the best in his future endeavors. Utah is a hell of a program.

When he landed a quality transfer QB, we did quite well as a team.

It was common knowledge before the bowl game that it was the last game for Jake as the Northwestern OC.
Right...that doesn't answer my question. I'm not asking this or bringing it up in any suspicious way; just wondering out loud how it came together...like if there were friendly interactions during bowl week and both sides liked what they saw, or if this only came together in the past couple weeks, or what.

Right...that doesn't answer my question. I'm not asking this or bringing it up in any suspicious way; just wondering out loud how it came together...like if there were friendly interactions during bowl week and both sides liked what they saw, or if this only came together in the past couple weeks, or what.
Coaches constantly network, with annual meetings being prime time for making connections. I'd be surprised if Jake and Whittingham didn't know each other previously.

No

Bajakian was so appalled at the disgraceful way a couple bureaucrats went about firing his boss that he publicly gave them the middle finger, re-committed to his players and went out a winner, with his head held high.

He has my respect.

Huh?

Football coaches, like some careers, have to relocate often.

I wish Coach Bajakian all the best in his future endeavors. Utah is a hell of a program.

When he landed a quality transfer QB, we did quite well as a team.
We were 10th worst in FBS in yards per game this season. Bajakian was a disaster and was arguably worse than JON during JON’s time here.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
We were 10th worst in FBS in yards per game this season. Bajakian was a disaster and was arguably worse than JON during JON’s time here.
In Big Ten play, with 14 teams in the conference...

NU was 9th in offense yards per game
NU was 7th in points scored by the offense per game.

NU was the 8th best defense in yards allowed per game.
NU was the 7th best defense in points allowed per game.

So, am I following this correctly?
Braun was a brilliant mastermind - his defense was phenomenal!!!!!
and
Bakajian was a disaster, an idiot - his offense was horrible!

lets also ignore the fact that our best QB missed several games...

Biased much?

and

Biased much?
I don't personally have it in for Jake nor do I think he was an abysmal coordinator like his former counterpart, but it was his offense for years. He had several new weapons in his arsenal last season, including Bryant who to your point was our best QB...only after the others under his tutelage (again...for years) hadn't panned out.

...Braun on the other hand showed up in January to run a defense and wound up unwittingly inheriting the head coaching job on top of that. So when we compare stats, it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison.

Will also fully acknowledge variables like several other 1st-season assistant coaches impacting both sides of the ball in various ways (and veteran coaches, for that matter).

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy

and

Biased much?
I can’t believe anyone here is defending Jake’s performance. 124/133 in yards per game is absolute trash, and it’s not the first time. There’s a reason he’s a lowly analyst now.

And I’m not saying Braun is a defensive mastermind lol, at least not after one season. But we were 36th in yards allowed.

I can’t believe anyone here is defending Jake’s performance. 124/133 in yards per game is absolute trash, and it’s not the first time. There’s a reason he’s a lowly analyst now.

And I’m not saying Braun is a defensive mastermind lol, at least not after one season. But we were 36th in yards allowed.
The thing that is being overlooked in this discussion is that Braun inherited a defense that was probably the worst in the BCS, with huge personnel deficiencies especially in the DL. He was able to squeeze out 8 wins with this group.

The thing that is being overlooked in this discussion is that Braun inherited a defense that was probably the worst in the BCS, with huge personnel deficiencies especially in the DL. He was able to squeeze out 8 wins with this group.
Yes, love what braun was able to do. I just meant it’s silly to compare him to Jake — whose performance has been abysmal — in any way.

Bajakian was so appalled at the disgraceful way a couple bureaucrats went about firing his boss that he publicly gave them the middle finger, re-committed to his players and went out a winner, with his head held high.

He has my respect.

Bajakian was bad at his job coordinating the offense and even worse in recruiting. He probably should’ve been whacked before JON, quite frankly.

Yes, love what braun was able to do. I just meant it’s silly to compare him to Jake — whose performance has been abysmal — in any way.
You are running up against statistics, screaming at numbers.
Midpack offense.
Midpack defense.
Pretty easy to make a comparison.
Objectivity helps.

You are running up against statistics, screaming at numbers.
Midpack offense.
Midpack defense.
Pretty easy to make a comparison.
Objectivity helps.
It’s not a midpack offense. It’s a bottom 10 offense. You don’t get to cherry pick conference vs non conference. All of the games count. Bajakian’s body of work was worse than McCall’s.

If you want to say he’s awesome because he wore a Fitz shirt just say it. But he wasn’t a good OC. If he were, he’d be more than a random analyst on a team in a dying conference.

Reactions: gocatsgo2003
It’s not a midpack offense. It’s a bottom 10 offense. You don’t get to cherry pick conference vs non conference. All of the games count. Bajakian’s body of work was worse than McCall’s.

If you want to say he’s awesome because he wore a Fitz shirt just say it. But he wasn’t a good OC. If he were, he’d be more than a random analyst on a team in a dying conference.
How is 9 of 14 not midpack? 6.7.8 and 9 are midpack.
I am using Conference play only because the Big Ten is a defense oriented conference.

Thats the only rational way to look at it.
You should look at the rest of the conference.

Is he Mormon?

and

Biased much?
We are a defensive league. So being mid pack in defense behind defenses like Iowa is actually pretty good, whereas being mid pack in the league above the likes of Iowa in offense is like being in the mid pack of midgets.

Why don’t you see where we land against all of FBS?

Biased much?

We are a defensive league. So being mid pack in defense behind defenses like Iowa is actually pretty good, whereas being mid pack in the league above the likes of Iowa in offense is like being in the mid pack of midgets.

Biased much?
He averaged like 115th or so in points scored, in FBS, over a 4 year period. Terrible

Biased much?
No. I am not biased. Other than rooting for Northwestern.
What league do we play in?
Oh, right. The Big Ten.
I'll compare our team to the teams we compete with.
You do whatever you want. If you want to inject bias, go for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT