ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s Tailgate

FanatiCat

May 29, 2001
355280247_10230702952625831_8149341166498987982_n.jpg

Dave and Cindy are retiring and Let’s Tailgate bought out by Gameday Spirit, Inc. I don’t know how old they are but I’m wondering if the timing is related to anything like the upcoming absence of home games for a couple years?

I will definitely miss them. Spent a lot of money there over the years and always enjoyed talking with Dave and getting some stories and a little inside info. I’m sure the new corporate owner will do away with the current store. I thought it would be awesome to move Let’s Tailgate to a ground level site in the stadium with a storefront facing Central, that could be accessed during normal business hours.

Mod Edit: Corrected Facebook post with screenshot

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave and Cindy are retiring and Let’s Tailgate bought out by Gameday Spirit, Inc. I don’t know how old they are but I’m wondering if the timing is related to anything like the upcoming absence of home games for a couple years?

I will definitely miss them. Spent a lot of money there over the years and always enjoyed talking with Dave and getting some stories and a little inside info. I’m sure the new corporate owner will do away with the current store. I thought it would be awesome to move Let’s Tailgate to a ground level site in the stadium with a storefront facing Central, that could be accessed during normal business hours.
It's worse than that. This isn't big corporate Fanatics (which does stuff at Norris now).... it spawned from Illnoise😱

Gameday Spirit Fanstore traces its history back to Gary & Al’s Sporting Goods, which originally opened on the University of Illinois campus in 1986. In 1998, the transition from a sporting goods store to a true fan store began with a change in name to Gameday Sports and a move to the heart of the University of Illinois campustown area where we still remain on the corner of 6th & Green in Champaign.

In April of 2021, Gameday Spirit acquired Bloomington, IN based T.I.S Inc. and expanded our footprint to 6 new stores across 5 new college campuses. We are now proud to serve the students, alumni and fans of Indiana University, Ball State University, Ohio University, Kent State University and West Virginia University.

Wow, this marks the end of an era. Dave and Cindy are great people and tremendous Cats fans. They have been a vital part of the Northwestern sports community over the years. I'll miss going in there and talking to them, or seeing them at games. I wish them nothing but the best in retirement -- or whatever else they decide to do.

Not to mention all the cool swag they donated to FloridAlum for door prizes at the Purple Parties over the years. Their store will certainly be missed. Like Cat Fan in Buckeyeland said, they had a great memory for recognizing repeat customers even when my visits often spanned several years.

Wow, this marks the end of an era. Dave and Cindy are great people and tremendous Cats fans. They have been a vital part of the Northwestern sports community over the years. I'll miss going in there and talking to them, or seeing them at games. I wish them nothing but the best in retirement -- or whatever else they decide to do.
Indeed. Thanks Dave and Cindy. See you in the tailgate parking lots and Go Cats!

Sad to see them go.

That there will be no home football games for a couple years probably was a part. Three years from now would be sort of rebuilding a business. They have had a lot to have to deal with in recent years such as COVID, and the last couple of abysmal years of FB. Hopefully this year is better but if not, they would have a period of 6 straight years of big challenges. Sometimes it is just time. Would have liked to have one final year/season with them but with what is coming, that might have wiped out a lot of value

Reactions: ricko654321
The best item I bought there was a bottle opener that played Go U NU when it contacted the bottle cap. I have not been able to find another since that one disappeared.
Let us know if you ever do find a new one.
That would be cool!

Nicest couple, they have been a great part of the fabric of NU supporters. I can see how the idea of rent for the next couple of years with uncertainty about the football stadium location is a good time to pack it in. Looking forward to seeing them in the stands. NU should give them a pair of free season tickets for football for their service

Nicest couple, they have been a great part of the fabric of NU supporters. I can see how the idea of rent for the next couple of years with uncertainty about the football stadium location is a good time to pack it in. Looking forward to seeing them in the stands. NU should give them a pair of free season tickets for football for their service
Fact.

Not a bottle opener, but this keepsake box also plays Go U Northwestern when opened:

IMG_9870_zps0uvqkt5e.jpg

IMG_9873_zpsppwtfgz3.jpg
I spoke too soon. It has been decades since I last played the Northwestern "music box's" recording. Fortunately I had removed the batteries so it still could work with new ones. Rather than a fight song, it played audio clips from three of the 1995 games (Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State) and the Rose Bowl game. It also included the audio recording of Gary Barnett announcing he would be taking the team to Pasadena.

Here were the included recaps relating to the above:

IMG_6460.jpg

IMG_6464_95LhD8BnsNnRyeYMve12gN.jpg

IMG_6466.jpg

IMG_6461.jpg

IMG_6462.jpg

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
OK, here is a more readable version of the "Upset of the Century" game:

IMG_6468_d4AhhLyUNmbZk3xuYQXtDP.jpg

And for anyone curious who the Masako at Harvard in 1984 was, here she is as she became Empress of Japan:

IMG_9873_zpsrsaapu2w.jpg

IMG_8810_zpsvrltg3r7.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT