ADVERTISEMENT

Lighting at Ryan Field

CoralSpringsCat

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2002
Coral Springs, FL
Did anyone else notice a couple of occasions where NU players appeared to lose balls in the lights? One was Nagel on a punt return. McGowan also had a ball thrown right at him that he never saw. Does NU have permanent lights yet? I thought there was a B1G mandate stating that all schools must now have permanent lighting for all home games.

Did anyone else notice a couple of occasions where NU players appeared to lose balls in the lights? One was Nagel on a punt return. McGowan also had a ball thrown right at him that he never saw. Does NU have permanent lights yet? I thought there was a B1G mandate stating that all schools must now have permanent lighting for all home games.

They were definitely portable lights, put up shortly before kickoff. They have some permanent lights but they weren't on so not sure what they're for. A visiting friend made the observation to ask why they weren't on.

Nagel's issue on the punt return was an inexplicable decision to try to pick up the ball with Falcon defenders all around. Not his eyesight being affected by lights.

McGowan's head wasn't even turned to look towards the ball that hit him in the leg. Not sure the role lights play in making sure your looking towards the ball.

They were definitely portable lights, put up shortly before kickoff. They have some permanent lights but they weren't on so not sure what they're for. A visiting friend made the observation to ask why they weren't on.
The portable lights were not the problem other than they were not very bright. The 2 rugby punts that Nagel mishandled were very low. I thought the bright white lights in the advertising strip at the south end of the field were the problem for the punts

Reactions: ubercat
Nagel's issue on the punt return was an inexplicable decision to try to pick up the ball with Falcon defenders all around. Not his eyesight being affected by lights.

McGowan's head wasn't even turned to look towards the ball that hit him in the leg. Not sure the role lights play in making sure your looking towards the ball.

On McGowan's it looked like he thought Thorson was going to run and started looking downfield to make a block. Rookie mistake, but the kind of mistake you like to see - trying to make a good hustle play.

The fixed lights are there to supplement fading natural light - think of a November day game on a cloudy or rainy day. They can also be used to provide light if people are working in the stadium at night. But they're not designed to illuminate the field at night and therefore aren't used during night games.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Although I love night games at Ryan Field, I find the portable lights to be rather suited for a cocktail lounge. Was wondering if a third bank of lights on both sides would help, or if permanent lights were a possibility.

It might be a benefit for the players if the advertising strip lights at the south end and the jumbotron on the northeast corner could be turned off during each play.

As Glades would say, Dimbulbs!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT