ADVERTISEMENT

Likelihood of no CFB in 2020

While I don't disagree, it was pretty naive of both sides to not contemplate the games being played without fans in the stands. As was already evident back in February the Japanese teams were already advising that they would be playing without fans. In March preseason games were being played with fans attending in the United States and the Japanese TV stations were broadcasting them to the Japanese audience to supplement their games being played without fans present.

Here is my post from February 27h from over on the Rant Board about the subject:

"Country by country response is fast moving. Japan is preparing to take significant measures as reported from a news feed from Japan that I am watching at this moment.

Starting tomorrow no tourists from China or South Korea will be allowed entry into Japan.

The opening games of this year’s baseball season will be played in empty stadiums. Artists and performers who have scheduled events have been requested to postpone them until after March 15th at the earliest,

Public schools in Hokkaido where 49 cases have been identified are closed. Schools in other areas are adjusting their starting times so students who commute by train can avoid crowded commutes.

While Japan is not the authoritarian country that China is there exists a self imposed adherence to requests and regulations that is unlike what we are familiar with in the United States - a sentiment that is ironically reflected by responses on this thread.

As the news cast continues detailed instructions are being given as to how to protect against the spread of the virus in each Japanese home with for example limiting the care and contact of a family member to only one other family member for anyone with cold or flu like symptoms."

78 Alaskawildkat, Feb 27, 2020

I agree. I was referring to the labor contract between owners and the players union that was signed previously. That contract never stipulated how this type of situation would be handled because they never conceived of a scenario whereby games had to be played without any game day fans in attendance. I am sure this is a topic that will be covered in any future contract that is signed but in the interim they will have to haggle over a solution, if there is one. There may not be a solution that satisfies all constituencies sufficiently.

Yes

Jim Phillips is already making arrangements to get a charter to Anchorage where the NU players will meet up here with the bused here Illini. To save on transportation costs the Dimond High Lynx will lend their Wildcat look-a-like mascot and an Arctic Fox fur trimmed fedora will be substituted for "The Hat."

Here is a capture of the appointed committee working out the rest of the details along with a view of the Dimond High field on which the game will be played on a by then snow plowed field.

DSC_0067.jpg
DSC_0390-2.jpg

The "borrowed" mascot:

utf-8DSC_0004_zps06fe85eb.jpg

I'm hoping for conference play only in the fall. I assume a few conferences (Pac 12) won't play in the fall. I don't see spring working out at all. Its fall or nothing. I think the SEC and ACC will definitly play, and hopefully the Big Ten.

College Football is likely going to be played, since most programs need their meal ticket and the majority of student-athletes likely want to play.

We shall see.

Reactions: Titanium999
FWIW - I am friends with a deputy AD at a B1G school and I spoke with him a few days ago. He said there will absolutely be CFB this fall

Reactions: Titanium999
College Football is likely going to be played, since most programs need their meal ticket and the majority of student-athletes likely want to play.

We shall see.
Don't think so. 200 players on the field, 50-75 support staffs, ground crew, chain gang, stadium workers, TV, radio and print media. Gee what could go wrong ! One or two or 50 test positive and the entire university is on shut down.

Don't think so. 200 players on the field, 50-75 support staffs, ground crew, chain gang, stadium workers, TV, radio and print media. Gee what could go wrong ! One or two or 50 test positive and the entire university is on shut down.
Real problem going forward as I see it. Pritzger just lost a ruling in Clay County and the feds are jumping in to expand it. I have no ulterior motive as I think the financial implications of the pandamic are going to look pretty bad soon too. The Crux of the problem is ,as the poster here illuminated, you have to report symptoms of the virus,which mandates,quarentine and notification issues. Sure,I can see everyone excited about getting started,but what happens when people get sick. Golf, tennis,mma, can likely circumvent these issues, with social distancing. But not football. Basketball ain't much better. The other issue is people are not going to make college students a priority. Children and old person,sick people are going to be the priority. I see a Domino effect of some schools getting the virus, trickling over to the opposition,this shutting everything down for a while.

FWIW - I am friends with a deputy AD at a B1G school and I spoke with him a few days ago. He said there will absolutely be CFB this fall

Sounds like the making of betting odds. Curious if now that Vegas is allowed to offer bets on College Football if there is already a line for play or no play?

FWIW, I was surprised to learn that Matanuska Valley, the conservative home of Sarah Palin literally and figuratively, cancelled this year's Alaska State Fair that was to start at the end of August. This despite the statewide mandates having been lifted which now allows for groups of any size to gather.

Real problem going forward as I see it. Pritzger just lost a ruling in Clay County and the feds are jumping in to expand it. I have no ulterior motive as I think the financial implications of the pandamic are going to look pretty bad soon too. The Crux of the problem is ,as the poster here illuminated, you have to report symptoms of the virus,which mandates,quarentine and notification issues. Sure,I can see everyone excited about getting started,but what happens when people get sick. Golf, tennis,mma, can likely circumvent these issues, with social distancing. But not football. Basketball ain't much better. The other issue is people are not going to make college students a priority. Children and old person,sick people are going to be the priority. I see a Domino effect of some schools getting the virus, trickling over to the opposition,this shutting everything down for a while.
One judges ruling from down in Southern Illinois, basically effecting one person doesn't change a thing.

I'm hoping for conference play only in the fall. I assume a few conferences (Pac 12) won't play in the fall. I don't see spring working out at all. Its fall or nothing. I think the SEC and ACC will definitly play, and hopefully the Big Ten.
Of course the SEC and ACC will play.

If we all just stop eating avocado toast and going to Starbucks every day and get a second or third job, we will all be hunky dory. Bootstraps, people.
Serious question. Would it be safer if the teams only played every other week? That would give a two week incubation period to be sure there was no contagion. Or does testing eliminate the need for such a thing?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Serious question. Would it be safer if the teams only played every other week? That would give a two week incubation period to be sure there was no contagion. Or does testing eliminate the need for such a thing?

Testing reduces that risk greatly but it wouldn’t completely eliminate it.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

At the beginning of this pandemic, I was doubtful to College Football being played.

Why did he say "absolutely" for CFB?

Economics. Small business can't absorb long layoffs.

College economics is in place.

Some in the Class of 2020 may be smart to simply take a year off and work?

Do we need College athletics any longer?

Will it be a full season?

Will changes be made?

I would suggest an 8 game schedule for 2020 for College Football.
  • Two non-conference games
  • Six Big Ten West games
However, who knows?

July 1st will likely lead to the point more will be know, post comeback on June 8th for many.

Northwestern can absorb not having college football for a few years. Just don't think the MAC Schools or a slew of other power five teams can say the same.

Northwestern can absorb not having college football for a few years. Just don't think the MAC Schools or a slew of other power five teams can say the same.
We may have completed the new facility just at the apex moment. Most programs will have to put such project on hold just as NU has pulled ahead in the arms race.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT