ADVERTISEMENT

McCall

Mr. Stupor

Oct 21, 2012
I think McCall called a decent game Saturday. Maybe even better than decent. Maybe even flat out good.

So fricking what?

The guy calls absolute stinkers of games way too often. Our offenses have that deer in the headlights, bewildered, stiefeled look way too often- even when GOOD plays are called. Exhibit A: the first half Saturday. Even with good plays called, we SUCKED.

A good coach has a plan and calls a good game way more often than not. A good coach has a team coached up and ready to play and playing to the best of their abilities all the time, or at least way more often than not. Not just once in a while.

It is clear to me that McCall is not a good coach. Same with Springer. Same with Cushing. The evidence is just too overwhelming to deny at this point.

And a few wins here and there and a few well called games here and there should NOT save these guys' jobs. The truth is that our offense has way more talent than the results (or better stated, the lack thereof) that our offenses have shown under this unholy trinity of bad. Our offenses are bad. Period.

They need to go.

These kids deserve better than this and Fitz needs to start doing the right thing by THEM.

THAT is loyalty.

Discuss.

What about Brown and MacPherson? Weren't they "not good" coaches just a few years ago? What changed with them? What about that Stanford golf coach a few years back? He sure became a better coach when that Eldrick kid ended up in Palo Alto. Lay off the Chivas dude, enjoy the victory!

I think McCall called a decent game Saturday. Maybe even better than decent. Maybe even flat out good.

So fricking what?

The guy calls absolute stinkers of games way too often. Our offenses have that deer in the headlights, bewildered, stiefeled look way too often- even when GOOD plays are called. Exhibit A: the first half Saturday. Even with good plays called, we SUCKED.

A good coach has a plan and calls a good game way more often than not. A good coach has a team coached up and ready to play and playing to the best of their abilities all the time, or at least way more often than not. Not just once in a while.

It is clear to me that McCall is not a good coach. Same with Springer. Same with Cushing. The evidence is just too overwhelming to deny at this point.

And a few wins here and there and a few well called games here and there should NOT save these guys' jobs. The truth is that our offense has way more talent than the results (or better stated, the lack thereof) that our offenses have shown under this unholy trinity of bad. Our offenses are bad. Period.

They need to go.

These kids deserve better than this and Fitz needs to start doing the right thing by THEM.

THAT is loyalty.

Discuss.
I was just about to start a thread entitled "Where are the complainers this week?" Well, you blew that one for me.

I tend to disagree with many of your posts, but this time I think you are correct. McCall is a good coach, part of the time, but not enough of the time. Maybe he is even a good coach more than he is a bad coach, but still that doesn't seem like enough. We haven't had a decent offense for three years, and there is always some excuse, such as injuries (which may have been the case, but it still seems like an excuse). It always seems to be an offense in transition or ascension, but never gets "there", wherever that is. I do think it is time for a change at the end of this season, but there is NO WAY Fitz will part with McCall. It would now take at least losing our next four games, and I now believe we will not lose more than one of those. For me it comes down to both Michigan and Iowa--we simply should not have lost BOTH of those games in the manner we did. It's time to say, "Fitz, make some changes."

W
What about Brown and MacPherson? Weren't they "not good" coaches just a few years ago? What changed with them? What about that Stanford golf coach a few years back? He sure became a better coach when that Eldrick kid ended up in Palo Alto. Lay off the Chivas dude, enjoy the victory!
What changed with them? They changed. I think McCall has reached has reached his highest level.

Ain't taking the Wally bait...

What about them? They are PERFORMING. McCall, Cushing and Springer are not. It's all about performance. And it ain't there with these guys. And most damning, it never has been. That's the difference. There. You have your answer.

"I tend to disagree with many of your posts"

Of course you do. That's why you're so wrong so often. :)

What changed with them? They changed. I think McCall has reached has reached his highest level.

Talent upgrade, that's what changed. Compare our DBs and RBs to those from five years ago. No offense to Jeravin Matthews or Jacob Schmidt, but they wouldn't get much playing time on this current team. Our DB and RB talent is head and shoulders above what it was just a few years ago. That, not surprisingly, makes the coaches look better.

Not quite sure why you felt compelled to make this personal rather than just respond to what was said, and I sure as hell am not sure how you took that post as COMPLAINING. This was about doing right by these kids and not saddling them with Human definitions of the Peter Principle.
If I had wanted to make my post personal, I would have. I simply said I often disagree with you, which is not necessarily to say you are wrong or bad or anything that might lead you to take it personally. AND, even though I believe you are correct, you were still complaining. Any attack on the status quo could be considered complaining.

Ain't taking the Wally bait...

What about them? They are PERFORMING. McCall, Cushing and Springer are not. It's all about performance. And it ain't there with these guys. And most damning, it never has been. That's the difference. There. You have your answer.

It's the players that changed...not the coaches. Mac is better coach because he has Jackson, Long, and Vault in his meeting room. Brown has Van Hoose, Harris, Henry and Godwin. Can McCall, Cushing and Springer do a better job coaching? Sure they can, lots of areas for improvement (no argument)...but at the end of the day it's the Jimmy's and the Joe's not the X's and the O's that truly make the difference.

It's the players that changed...not the coaches. Mac is better coach because he has Jackson, Long, and Vault in his meeting room. Brown has Van Hoose, Harris, Henry and Godwin. Can McCall, Cushing and Springer do a better job coaching? Sure they can, lots of areas for improvement (no argument)...but at the end of the day it's the Jimmy's and the Joe's not the X's and the O's that truly make the difference.

Thank you, Underdog.

Brown HAS been successful at this level. When were McCall, Springer or Cuahing successful at this level? A guy who has done it cannot logically be said to have Peter Principled. THAT is the difference. Nobody can say Brown is in over his head. But you can say that about the other 3 because they prove the statement true too often to make it false.

Nice try, Glades. Here's a tip: when you want to get cute with people's words, it's best to question their actual words. I said "human definitions", not "human examples". The fact that you had to change my words to make your lame retort reveals how little you actually have to add here, and how disingenuous that retort was. That took actual effort to change that word. Did you think nobody would notice? Lame.
Maybe you meant archetype. Would've reduced confusion. Maybe.

Talent upgrade, that's what changed. Compare our DBs and RBs to those from five years ago. No offense to Jeravin Matthews or Jacob Schmidt, but they wouldn't get much playing time on this current team. Our DB and RB talent is head and shoulders above what it was just a few years ago. That, not surprisingly, makes the coaches look better.
Actually, the improvement in the D began before the talent upgrade. I believe something happened (like lots of people comparing our current coaching staff to Colby and the Swiss Cheese regime) and the coaches actually did change. There are two ways for coaches to change. The coaches change or you change coaches. In this case the former happened. In this current (offensive) case, I think the latter needs to happen. Unless something happens to change that perception, SOON. 6-2 is not it, given the nature of the two loses we have had, and for that matter the nature of most of the victories we have had.

Thank you, Underdog.

Brown HAS been successful at this level. When were McCall, Springer or Cuahing successful at this level? A guy who has done it cannot logically be said to have Peter Principled. THAT is the difference. Nobody can say Brown is in over his head. But you can say that about the other 3 because they prove the statement true too often to make it false.

McCall has had a great deal of success at Bowling Green and NU. When did MacPherson have previous success? Pat Goss was a much better coach when he had Luke Donald on his roster...Springer would be a better coach if Amari Cooper had chosen NU over Alabama. Has Springer's coaching caused Christian Jones to forget how to catch the ball?

Who is responsible for bringing in the right players? And who is responsible for developing them?

Reactions: EvanstonCat

Not quite sure why you felt compelled to make this personal rather than just respond to what was said, and I sure as hell am not sure how you took that post as COMPLAINING. This was about doing right by these kids and not saddling them with Human definitions of the Peter Principle.

So fricking what?

They need to go.

THAT is loyalty.

Discuss.
In totality, our offense is handicapped and has been for several years. The game plans, the OL, and the wr. Everyone will agree with that.

But i seriously doubt anyone is on the hot seat. While i dont think loyalty is always a virtue, i believe fitz will continue carrying all of his coaches on his back. Even springer and Cushings. Obviously it has affected recruitment along the OL as there havent been any stud ol who have wanted to play under crushing.
7 wins is a fair coaching job by Fitz in which case im sure Phillips will allow Fitz the right to once again keep his coaches. 8 wins is a very good coaching job. 9 wins and Fitz should get bigten coach of the year.

Last edited:
Except for two broken plays, the offense had, what, 12 yards in the first half. And I don't know why some fans/writers mention the second half performance so favorably. It was still poor. Worse than the 2nd quarter of the Iowa game.

The bottom line: when Fitz says "expect more than victories, expect championships," no one should take him seriously unless he starts building a championship caliber staff.

Except for two broken plays, the offense had, what, 12 yards in the first half. And I don't know why some fans/writers mention the second half performance so favorably. It was still poor. Worse than the 2nd quarter of the Iowa game.

The bottom line: when Fitz says "expect more than victories, expect championships," no one should take him seriously unless he starts building a championship caliber staff.
The best chance of staff movement would be if Fitz won 10 games and wrote his own ticket to a powerhouse. But if we won ten games then doesnt McCall get some credit?
While i agree that McCall is at best par, the offenae is handicapped with a very poor ol and wr recruiting, and fitz always moves the best OL to defense (see Lancaster).

I'm ok with the talent issue, but then why ISN"T the receiver corps performing? We've seen what Vitale and C Jones can do and they just aren't, as 4 year starters. Vitale has shown flashes (and 'whatever" about blocking - I'm talking about catching the ball and doing something with it). We've seen what Cam D can do in spots and also Shuler, but these 4 seniors are just not performing, even though they've shown they can in stretches, or in the case of Vitale and Jones, for multiple seasons.

Why not?

I'm ok with the talent issue, but then why ISN"T the receiver corps performing? We've seen what Vitale and C Jones can do and they just aren't, as 4 year starters. Vitale has shown flashes (and 'whatever" about blocking - I'm talking about catching the ball and doing something with it). We've seen what Cam D can do in spots and also Shuler, but these 4 seniors are just not performing, even though they've shown they can in stretches, or in the case of Vitale and Jones, for multiple seasons.

Why not?
Maybe they arent used to the fast pitch. I mean thorson has alot of passes that sure handed dbs dropped as well with missed ints. Our wr have to catch the ball no matter how hard thor passes it.

Maybe they arent used to the fast pitch. I mean thorson has alot of passes that sure handed dbs dropped as well with missed ints. Our wr have to catch the ball no matter how hard thor passes it.
Honestly, I look for that and it doesn't appear that Thorson throws a super fast bullet. Pretty good but nothing like the darts that are thrown in the NFL.

Christian dropped 2 passes that had very little zip on them. The pass to Austin Carr in the 4th qtr had alot of zip and was a little high and he caught it. Sounds more mental than having anything to do with zip on the ball.

Christian dropped 2 passes that had very little zip on them. The pass to Austin Carr in the 4th qtr had alot of zip and was a little high and he caught it. Sounds more mental than having anything to do with zip on the ball.

Over the course of the season there have been a couple of balls that looked like touch throws that I feel like the receivers is waiting for the ball.

Honestly, I look for that and it doesn't appear that Thorson throws a super fast bullet. Pretty good but nothing like the darts that are thrown in the NFL.

Why would you compare the throws of a RS freshman with established pros in the NFL? Don't think that's fair to Thorson...give him a couple more years of development on the field and in the weight room...hopefully he'll have the super fast bullet in his arsenal by then.

Except for CJones being injured last year, they all had the same problem with Trevor's throws. Don't remember people complaining about his throws being too hard (particularly in 2012).

I don't KNOW the cause, I just know it's not acceptable at this level from 4 seniors.

Why would you compare the throws of a RS freshman with established pros in the NFL? Don't think that's fair to Thorson...give him a couple more years of development on the field and in the weight room...hopefully he'll have the super fast bullet in his arsenal by then.
You are right. My point goes more toward the notion (in an earlier post) that he throws so hard no one can catch it. In fact I think he can throw it harder than he does when he gets a chance to step into it. My guess would be in practice he throws it harder.

He's got an arm. I think part of the reason Thorson isn't great on crossing routes is that he's trying to take something off his throws.

Except for CJones being injured last year, they all had the same problem with Trevor's throws. Don't remember people complaining about his throws being too hard (particularly in 2012).

I don't KNOW the cause, I just know it's not acceptable at this level from 4 seniors.
Good point. Looking forward, it looks like carr can get open and make plays, Gdick, and nagel. Plus Fessler. And roberts may develop into a Jfields eventually.

It amazes me how people defer to Fitz the Loyalist, as if this is the only component of his psyche.

We forget that he's also Fitz the Tinkerer. This is the guy who insists on the rugby style pooch punt. Who went to the 2 QB system. Who had a QB playing WR on back to back plays. Who just moved a true fresh LB to FB, a move NOBODY here believed....

The guy is NOT afraid to tinker and experiment. This just makes it all the more astounding to me that he REFUSES to tinker with his staff. It really makes NO sense at all.... Unless...

... The guy is just an idiot. I keep thinking about the rugby directional punting. Lots of people here have played lots of sports where balls are thrown, hit or kicked at a target: baseball, golf, lacrosse, soccer, football QB, whatever...

What is the ONE TRUTH of projecting a ball at a target? Answer: do not try to steer the ball. When you try to steer it, you're dead. So what does Fitz have our punters do? Steer it. Stupid stupid stupid.

Me thinks u r close to being banned? Fitz isnt an idiot.

I didn't say he was. I said the decision to make people steer the ball - when the #1 rule of swinging something (whether it be an arm, leg, or stick) to project at a target is to NOT steer the ball - is idiotic.

Thank you, Underdog.

McCall has been relatively successful in the past and his games would look a lot better without WR drops, failure to get open or weak blocking. It handcuffs play calls. He has also done a reasonable job developing QBs including the BGU guy that beat us in Detroit. WR coach on the other had, has not shown success. and OL has been pretty up and down. And while Cushing has other successes, not sure that Springer has.

... The guy is just an idiot. I keep thinking about the rugby directional punting. Lots of people here have played lots of sports where balls are thrown, hit or kicked at a target: baseball, golf, lacrosse, soccer, football QB, whatever...

I didn't say he was.

Ummm, either you called him an idiot or you're a really poor writer. Which is it?

I didn't say he was. I said the decision to make people steer the ball - when the #1 rule of swinging something (whether it be an arm, leg, or stick) to project at a target is to NOT steer the ball - is idiotic.

It's not a matter of steering the ball. It's throwing or kicking it in the direction you want it to go.

It amazes me how people defer to Fitz the Loyalist, as if this is the only component of his psyche.

We forget that he's also Fitz the Tinkerer. This is the guy who insists on the rugby style pooch punt. Who went to the 2 QB system. Who had a QB playing WR on back to back plays. Who just moved a true fresh LB to FB, a move NOBODY here believed....

The guy is NOT afraid to tinker and experiment. This just makes it all the more astounding to me that he REFUSES to tinker with his staff. It really makes NO sense at all.... Unless...

What is the ONE TRUTH of projecting a ball at a target? Answer: do not try to steer the ball. When you try to steer it, you're dead. So what does Fitz have our punters do? Steer it. Stupid stupid stupid.

Do you know anything about kicking a football? Steering a ball is not stupid. Steering the football is one of the reasons why we're holding teams to negative punt return yards. It's actually easier to rugby punt than it is to hit a perfect 45 yard punt. But I don't know what I'm talking about, I've only punted and kicked footballs for about 25 years and coached it at D3 level.

Do you know anything about kicking a football? Steering a ball is not stupid. Steering the football is one of the reasons why we're holding teams to negative punt return yards. It's actually easier to rugby punt than it is to hit a perfect 45 yard punt. But I don't know what I'm talking about, I've only punted and kicked footballs for about 25 years and coached it at D3 level.

Its easy to give up no return yards when you are shanking balls 25 yards OB because you are steering. But what would I know? I just have eyes and access to statistics that say something is not working....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT