ADVERTISEMENT

Mick McCall

benoitdenizetl

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2003
Granted, we have little talent on offense. But the play calling today has been infuriating, even by McCall standards. Our only success has been running the ball (usually to the outside), but unlike other games where he's stuck with the run, today McCall follows most good runs with three straight passes. And he passes on third and 2. It's really remarkably stupid.

We've averaged like 5 ypc running the ball in the second half, and yet he refused to establish the run. A real head scratcher.

He sucks and I'm tired of people here making excuses for him! He is thoroughly predictable and I'll say yet again, the best talent on offense is our backs and yet he doesn't figured out a way to use multiple back sets etc. Instead the idiot finds acway to hand off the Vault again which predictably went for a loss. Get rid of him,

Exactly. As soon as Vault came in in the first quarter, every guy on Tenn knew it was the jet sweep. Every single guy. But McCall was going to run that play no matter what.

Reactions: Turk
This is been unbelievably predictable, especially for a bowl game - where you're supposed to open things up. If this is opening it up, I'd hate to see a limited playbook.

If I'm Alviti, I would not go anywhere but the gym. Work your arse into the best possible shape, play a lot of catch with Vault and other WRs on the beach and get ready for Spring ball and Kenosha. If Fitz or McCall names CT the starter for next year, they should be reassigned to the laundry crew.

Honestly McCall and Springer should have a one year notice. Our poor WR play is partly inadequate coaching. Our prior WR corps were no more athletic or highly recruited than what we have now and we have had good passing offenses. Next year with a second year starter 4* QB and WRs with experience we should not be held back by our passing O. If it's not at least average they should go.

Reactions: bjm989
Granted, we have little talent on offense. But the play calling today has been infuriating, even by McCall standards. Our only success has been running the ball (usually to the outside), but unlike other games where he's stuck with the run, today McCall follows most good runs with three straight passes. And he passes on third and 2. It's really remarkably stupid.

I have concerns about today's game plan but McCall is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Yes the OL and running game have been relatively effective but wouldn't most of you guys be crucifying him if he was running the ball 70% of the time with us down 24-6? We got down and needed to pass the ball. Unfortunately our WRs continue to be shockingly ineffective. It started early with multiple key dropped passes that hurt the offenses ability to establish a rhythm and time of possession. This just cannot continue. We need to do something about the lack of productivity from that position group.

After 10 wins neither CT or Mick will lose their jobs

You're right, but hopefully somebody starts working TOMORROW to fix the offense. They certainly aren't working on it today.

If I'm Alviti, I would not go anywhere but the gym. Work your arse into the best possible shape, play a lot of catch with Vault and other WRs on the beach and get ready for Spring ball and Kenosha. If Fitz or McCall names CT the starter for next year, they should be reassigned to the laundry crew.

I believe that he will transfer before he plays for NU.

Thorson was shell Shocked? We needed Alviti's speed today. Gotta roll out and run against a quick defense. Glad I didn't pay squat for this fiasco

G
Green is the better QB, but NU needs a new OC
Green knows the game better than all of our QB's combined. He even has a nice arm but Fitz will not give him a shot. That said, Thorson may not be that far away if we actually had someone who could develop QB's. All of Fitz' qb recruits have not been developed to play as good as they could or close to it. Watkins, Colter, TS, Alviti, Oliver, Thorson.

6 QB's and our QB production from each of Fitz' seemingly solid QB recruits has been poor. To watch a 5th year senior, Oliver, not have a clue, that concerns me for Alviti and Thorson who don't have much of a clue yet, although I think Thorson really could be a good one given a new OC.

I have concerns about today's game plan but McCall is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Yes the OL and running game have been relatively effective but wouldn't most of you guys be crucifying him if he was running the ball 70% of the time with us down 24-6? We got down and needed to pass the ball. Unfortunately our WRs continue to be shockingly ineffective. It started early with multiple key dropped passes that hurt the offenses ability to establish a rhythm and time of possession. This just cannot continue. We need to do something about the lack of productivity from that position group.
Right now, it's not just a lack of productivity, but the primary reason, lack of development. It's painful that McCall was handed a decent recruit in Oliver but couldn't develop him into anything at all as he has no clue. And a 4 star QB in Alviti that McCall insisted on changing his throwing motion and now can't hit the backside of the barn. And yet another 4 star recruit in Thorson but can't do any read option since he hasn't been taught how [this would be great with Jackson in the backfield if McCall taught Thorson] and looks amazingly like he is in the classroom as opposed to being on the field when the clock is churning. I like Thorson and I think he is getting more comfortable with the pocket but his otherwise thorough lack of development is on McCall.

I mean what else is Fitz suppose to do? He hands McCall a NFL QB in TS, recruits 4 star QB's and yet our team gets THOROUGHLY EMBARASSED 3 times this year when we fell behind by 10 points since our QB's are COMPLETELY AND THOROUGHLY UNDEVELOPED. WTF?

Reactions: Sheffielder
G

Green knows the game better than all of our QB's combined. He even has a nice arm but Fitz will not give him a shot. That said, Thorson may not be that far away if we actually had someone who could develop QB's. All of Fitz' qb recruits have not been developed to play as good as they could or close to it. Watkins, Colter, TS, Alviti, Oliver, Thorson.

6 QB's and our QB production from each of Fitz' seemingly solid QB recruits has been poor. To watch a 5th year senior, Oliver, not have a clue, that concerns me for Alviti and Thorson who don't have much of a clue yet, although I think Thorson really could be a good one given a new OC.

This is 100% the truth.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Despite today's questionable game plan, I don't believe we would be better off without McCall. I don't think he is the problem when it comes to the coaching staff. I think his hands are tied behind his back when it comes to some of the position coaches.

Despite today's questionable game plan, I don't believe we would be better off without McCall. I don't think he is the problem when it comes to the coaching staff. I think his hands are tied behind his back when it comes to some of the position coaches.

Springer is a McCall guy. I mean, at this point he's a Fitz guy so the point is moot, but he landed in Evanston with a McCall reference...they coached together before.

This offense is worse than a decent number of the Dark Ages offenses. Things need to change. Fitz cannot let this stand for another year. He needs to realize that he has guys on his staff that would have a hard time getting a high school job. How can he keep them given the pathetic offensive performance this year and the fact that these guys (unlike Brown and Hank) have NEVER performed at a high level.

Reactions: BFDCat and Fitz51
This is been unbelievably predictable, especially for a bowl game - where you're supposed to open things up. If this is opening it up, I'd hate to see a limited playbook.

It was the second half against Wisconsin. That was as limited as can be.

It was the second half against Wisconsin. That was as limited as can be.

Wow, on such a crappy day, I pretty much assumed a post from you following a post from me was going to get ugly... Then I saw the "like" from you and so on a lark, I unignored you. My first instinct I was wrong. I see you and I to be in agreement ... Will miracles never cease? :)

Turn the page. Happy New Year.

You're off ignore.

Right now, it's not just a lack of productivity, but the primary reason, lack of development. It's painful that McCall was handed a decent recruit in Oliver but couldn't develop him into anything at all as he has no clue. And a 4 star QB in Alviti that McCall insisted on changing his throwing motion and now can't hit the backside of the barn. And yet another 4 star recruit in Thorson but can't do any read option since he hasn't been taught how [this would be great with Jackson in the backfield if McCall taught Thorson] and looks amazingly like he is in the classroom as opposed to being on the field when the clock is churning. I like Thorson and I think he is getting more comfortable with the pocket but his otherwise thorough lack of development is on McCall.

I mean what else is Fitz suppose to do? He hands McCall a NFL QB in TS, recruits 4 star QB's and yet our team gets THOROUGHLY EMBARASSED 3 times this year when we fell behind by 10 points since our QB's are COMPLETELY AND THOROUGHLY UNDEVELOPED. WTF?

Clayton is not the problem.

Agree.

I missed the explanation for why Vitale wasn't a bigger part of the game plan. Was he not at 100%?

I missed the explanation for why Vitale wasn't a bigger part of the game plan. Was he not at 100%?

I think I explained both why Vitale wasn't part of the offense and why JJ only ran 14 times. I think it has to do with McCall actually being an enemy plant within the program intent on sabotaging us. That's the best explanation for our two best offensive players being intentionally shut down.

Reactions: TerraCat
I'm sorry, I can't let this slide.

I'm as disappointed in yesterday's offensive game plan as anyone. I'm a loyalist pollyanna, but I'm wondering if changes need to be made.

However, can we please let the notion that a freshman walkon who is 5'10 but happens to be the son of an NFL QB is the super duper magic answer to our offensive issues just disappear.

I will present this next sentence as fact, but the rest is opinion: Clayton is the QB and will remain the QB because he won the competition fair and square. He is the most talented QB on the roster and barring injury will end up being a great QB for us. Zack sadly showed us why he lost the opportunity to start with his performance yesterday and again, this is fact: Alviti not seeing any action outside of the EIU game is a damning indictment on his ability to run the offense. I've seen more than most posters and it was the right decision not to play him.

I have faith in Fitz to do the right thing, but something needs to be changed. What that is, I'm not sure yet and i think we all need to slow our rolls on calling for jobs.

But it's just asinine to think the walkon with a famous name is the answer. It's just dumb.

I think I explained both why Vitale wasn't part of the offense and why JJ only ran 14 times. I think it has to do with McCall actually being an enemy plant within the program intent on sabotaging us. That's the best explanation for our two best offensive players being intentionally shut down.

I really don't agree with you often, but that might be the best explanation I've seen so far, because it doesn't make sense.

G

Well at least green has his dad to learn from. If fitz doesn't give all 4 QBs (thorson. Green. Smith and Yates) an equal shot next year then he's not doing his job

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT