ADVERTISEMENT

Mick McCall

So, as stated, they have all failed in evaluation, recruiting, developing and planning. Even if you don't pin the lack of developing WRs on McCall, which I do, then he has failed miserably with a string of highly recruited QBs.

Which QBs? We have never had a problem developing QB. Basanez, Bacher, Kafka, Persa, Colter, Siemian, Thorson. I don't see a problem.

Which QBs? We have never had a problem developing QB. Basanez, Bacher, Kafka, Persa, Colter, Siemian, Thorson. I don't see a problem.

Colter (wasn't exactly a legit QB), Siemian (had the talent but not given the tools - Denver hopes to cultivate, we will see), Oliver, Alviti, Thorson (I was not impressed regardless of his age). I think you can include Watkins. This is off the top of head, perhaps there are more.

I think the league has changed since Persa. I don't think Micky has adapted well. We used to have problems with DBs, that has changed. We used to develop QBs, that too has changed.

Colter wasn't a legit QB? What a joke. You lose all credibility with that statement. Go back to playing quarters in your dorm room.

It's hard for Midwestern programs to go to warm climates and play good competition. Ask Iowa and Northwestern. We had a solid year and beat some good teams. If we were going to beat Tennessee, it would have to be in late November in Chicago. I like the Detroit Lions play calling today. Looked like Stanford out there. Both those teams have great OC. McCall is below average and needs to retire,imho.

You seem to have a hard time distinguishing between talent and production. Our WR groups over the last several years have had as much talent as any that we have ever had at Northwestern. Heck, a few years ago (I don't remember exactly which year) our WR group was stacked and ranked in the pre season as the best WR group in the Big Ten. It was the year we had Rashad Lawrence, Christian Jones, Tony Jones, Kyle Prater and others. What happened? They stunk up the joint under Springer's tutelage. What about this year's group? Christian Jones was a 4 star rated WR who had shown signs of stardom early in his career. This year he had trouble even catching the most basic pass. Mike McHugh was a 6"2 200lb kid who ran a 4.4 at our summer camp and put on such a good show that Fitz offered him a scholarship on the spot. Under Springer's tutelage I saw no meaningful development in McHugh from his senior year in HS to his senior year in college. Shuler, another 4 star who did not improve one bit from the moment he stepped on campus to the last game. You still haven't addressed the most damning evidence of all. Why is it that under our previous WR coach we had numerous (I can real off at least 15 guys) minimally recruited WRs (and QBs for that matter) who after sitting and learning the position for a couple years turned into highly productive Big Ten WRs? All those guys played under the same system as Mick McCall was also the OC. As soon as Kevin Johns left and Springer came on board, that all stopped. Why is that? Please explain.

One thing for sure - the recruited talent and athleticism of the last few years in the WR corp was orders of magnitudes better than what we had during the Walker years. Yet the Walker WR's were far more productive. Boy, we miss Kevin Johns. Please get rid of Springer. How many chances do you give a guy to eff up his job?

Colter wasn't a legit QB? What a joke. You lose all credibility with that statement. Go back to playing quarters in your dorm room.

Boy, that would be nice. And even if we dont agree about Colter, you were noticeably silent about the rest. Guess you should take your Micky Fun Club pin back to your room and have another.

I stopped reading after what you said about Colter. Not worth the time.

Colter (wasn't exactly a legit QB), Siemian (had the talent but not given the tools - Denver hopes to cultivate, we will see), Oliver, Alviti, Thorson (I was not impressed regardless of his age). I think you can include Watkins. This is off the top of head, perhaps there are more.

I think the league has changed since Persa. I don't think Micky has adapted well. We used to have problems with DBs, that has changed. We used to develop QBs, that too has changed.
From my perspective, the only QB who developed was Kafka. 1 out of 8 is bad. Colter and TS never developed, they came in and played as underclassmen but never developed or progressed insomuch that there was any difference as seniors. Colter seemed to regress actually. Toss in Watkins as well. Then you had 4 QB's on the team this year, including a 5th year senior, 2 four stars, and a freshman, and NONE were developed to be functional.

A poor man's Tebow. Ok, while healthy, in gimmicky college O - but not a real QB. But prove me wrong Corbi - who is he playing for today? Many other QBs from NU with a cup of coffee at NFL level. Which team did Colter suit up for as a QB? Or suit up for...

One thing for sure - the recruited talent and athleticism of the last few years in the WR corp was orders of magnitudes better than what we had during the Walker years. Yet the Walker WR's were far more productive. Boy, we miss Kevin Johns. Please get rid of Springer. How many chances do you give a guy to eff up his job?

Do you seriously think our WR's now are more athletic and talented than Lane, Ward, and Peterman. Or Stewart and Ebert.

Walker's receivers were far more productive because they had Basanez and Bacher throwing to them. Also, because they were much better than the guys we've had lately.

That said, and as much as I hate to advocate firing a coach, but Springer has some explaining to do.

Do you seriously think our WR's now are more athletic and talented than Lane, Ward, and Peterman. Or Stewart and Ebert.

Walker's receivers were far more productive because they had Basanez and Bacher throwing to them. Also, because they were much better than the guys we've had lately.

That said, and as much as I hate to advocate firing a coach, but Springer has some explaining to do.
I think Vitale was a better te target than anyone else we have had. Period. I also think shuler, Vault, and Roberts were just as athletic as anyone mentioned. Not sure how you can believe that our wr's werent as athletic or talented as our previous ones. Cripes, Roberts and Shuler were track stars, and Vault wasn't far behind???? Also, Thorson appears to be one of our most athletic qbs. To suggest that our wide receivers aren't more athletic than Lane, Stewart, Peterman is nuts. So, you can toss out your defense of McCall by claiming we have a bunch of farmers at wide receiver as you reject the NCAA stats PROVING that our offense is the worst in all college football over a 2 year span. And, typical of most leftist, you can't talk straight except in a display of anger. Either don't mention Springer and firing in the same context or call it what you are saying. GET REAL!

Last edited:

Athletic - Prater? Shuler? Christian Jones? Yes, more so than all those except Ebert. Talented? Well, our current WR's are not talented at catching the ball, running routes, or blocking so no. Walker's receivers didn't drop passes. They ran crisp routes. They blocked. And they got better every year.

I think Vitale was a better te target than anyone else we have had. Period. I also think shuler, Vault, and Roberts were just as athletic as anyone mentioned. Not sure how you can believe that our wr's werent as athletic or talented as our previous ones. Cripes, Roberts and Shuler were track stars, and Vault wasn't far behind???? Also, Thorson appears to be one of our most athletic qbs. To suggest that our wide receivers aren't more athletic than Lane, Stewart, Peterman is nuts. So, you can toss out your defense of McCall by claiming we have a bunch of farmers at wide receiver as you reject the NCAA stats PROVING that our offense is the worst in all college football over a 2 year span. And, typical of most leftist, you can't talk straight except in a display of anger. Either don't mention Springer and firing in the same context or call it what you are saying. GET REAL!

Are you still mad over wasting $100 on lotto tickets?

It's hard for Midwestern programs to go to warm climates and play good competition. Ask Iowa and Northwestern. We had a solid year and beat some good teams. If we were going to beat Tennessee, it would have to be in late November in Chicago. I like the Detroit Lions play calling today. Looked like Stanford out there. Both those teams have great OC. McCall is below average and needs to retire,imho.

Tennessee played a better football game than we did. It had nothing to do with climate. We seemed to do OK against Mississippi State in a similar climate. How many actual cold-weather games did we play during the regular season? That's as pathetic as the "body clock" excuse that the Stanford apologists kept using to explain their loss to Northwestern.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
So, as stated, they have all failed in evaluation, recruiting, developing and planning. Even if you don't pin the lack of developing WRs on McCall, which I do, then he has failed miserably with a string of highly recruited QBs.

man, this stuff has been going on forever. Let’s not forget about dumping springer.

Reactions: NJCat
you are wrong.

And what about your boy Smith?
Hasnt McCall had him for 4 years now? How is that working out?

Mccall hasnt developed one single QB on the team. Smith, Marty, HJ.

you are wrong.

And what about your boy Smith?
Hasnt McCall had him for 4 years now? How is that working out?

Mccall hasnt developed one single QB on the team. Smith, Marty, HJ.
Sorry but the blame goes to Fitzgerald. He approved these scholarships, and when you think about it, Marty and Smith were thought to be raw and not upper echelon prospects. We reached in both cases and they have not panned out. it puts a lot of pressure on the staff when the head coach signs QBs who need a lot of development over and over. We have had good fortune and good coaching in the past but that kind of “buy low” approach can’t always work.

I have concerns about today's game plan but McCall is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Yes the OL and running game have been relatively effective but wouldn't most of you guys be crucifying him if he was running the ball 70% of the time with us down 24-6? We got down and needed to pass the ball. Unfortunately our WRs continue to be shockingly ineffective. It started early with multiple key dropped passes that hurt the offenses ability to establish a rhythm and time of possession. This just cannot continue. We need to do something about the lack of productivity from that position group.

Corbi defending McCall is as certain as the sun rising and setting every day.

Reactions: IGNORE
Do we really need to drag out 4 year old posts showing Bob and Corbi scrapping when we have new and fresh ones where they are going at it on same topic?
No is the answer. I think Bob is trying to make some sort of point. Perhaps that he is right and Corbi is wrong. Though I'm not sure it's working, it looks more to me like they both are just petulant, difficult, stubborn and annoying- have been for multiple years and continue to be so today.

Please stop bringing out old posts to pollute the board, there is plenty of fodder for complaining already today.

No is the answer. I think Bob is trying to make some sort of point. Perhaps that he is right and Corbi is wrong. Though I'm not sure it's working, it looks more to me like they both are just petulant, difficult, stubborn and annoying- have been for multiple years and continue to be so today.

Please stop bringing out old posts to pollute the board, there is plenty of fodder for complaining already today.
I've had 10k + posts on this board, of which probably 9500 of them contained a degree of inanity. Lord forbid that someone takes the trouble to "mine" through them to prove me wrong.

I can hardly remember what I had for breakfast, let alone what my post was during the Brewfka phase or the Colter/Siemian experiment (except that Colter was better, of course) o_O

Corbi defending McCall is as certain as the sun rising and setting every day.

what makes you think the problems are due to McCall? Fitzgerald chooses the recruits. He also changed our identity because he wants to deploy more of a power running style.

Hear! Hear!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT