ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota

Williesfan

Sep 24, 2009
This years road trip we decided on Minnesota. What hotels are around the stadium and any restaurants that you can recommend. Thanks a lot for you contribution.

villox should post the name of the hotel we've stayed at there the few times we have gone. It's fun!

If you want (relative) luxury, book a room at the St. Paul Hotel in downtown St. Paul. A bunch of great restaurants right in the area. You can hop the Green Line right to the stadium from close by (20 minute trip). Or, I'll pick you up if you buy me a drink.

Looking for cheaper--anywhere along University Avenue from St. Paul into the Minneapolis (TCF stadium) area, again along the Green Line. At least decent restaurants along the way. There is a nice hotel (a Hilton, I think), at Washington Avenue and 35E (just before the bridge that collapsed) and lots of good restaurants in that area as well. If you're interested I can get more specific info on that. Not too far from the stadium and also near the Green Line.

There's also a hotel in Dinky Town, right by the stadium, along Washington Ave, called the Commons Hotel. It's nice.

Last edited:
This years road trip we decided on Minnesota. What hotels are around the stadium and any restaurants that you can recommend. Thanks a lot for you contribution.
Can't remember the hotel we stay at, but don't get tickets from the visiting team allotment--they are in the farthest corner of the upper deck and past the scoreboard so all you can see is the back of it and the view of the field is microscopic. Normally don't like sitting with the fans of the other team but the Minnesota fans have always been pleasant and fun.

We have stayed at a Ramada that has specials for games.

StPC-does Diamond Lil's still exist.
It's gone. Music and drinks? The Dakota (dinner also depending on show time)--nice place--Jazz--Prince would show up every so often to play or hang out--friend of mine owns it--downtown Mpls on Nicollet Mall. Wilebski's in St. Paul. Famous Dave's in Calhoun Square (south of downtown). There's some places over by the University (Stadium) also.

St. Paul Cat knows the area very well and Prince was at the Dakota to see a show at Lowell Ps place very recently before he died. Any St. Paul Cat recommendations should be heeded. I am probably 12-20 years younger than St. Paul Cat, so my perspective may be a bit different.

To fully disclose, I am a Gopher fan, and my longtime GF has an uncle that lives near Save a Lot/ Starbucks in Skokie, just southwest of Ryan Field, and I have been there many times in the summer and have yet to commit to an easy trip fall to see a NU game at Ryan Field. Why? I think expect Minnesota to always play poorly at Ryan, although they have been better in recent years, but the time has come to check that venue off the list next year Apparently I like the summer trips to Chicago with beach trips or US Cellular and Wrigley visits, and for some reason not fall football visits to Ryan.. I'll try harder this time.

Back to the topic:

If I were visiting the Twin Cities I'd stay in Downtown Minneapolis, where I work, although I like St. Paul and I live in St. Paul. Downtown Minneapolis is an 8 minute train ride from the Gopher Stadium, which is right on the train line. There are lost of Hotels (Marriott, Aloft, Hyatt, Radisson, W, Westin) within 2 or 3 blocks of where the video (outside First Avenue Club last week) below was filmed.

Otherwise the SPC St. Paul recommendations are reasonable or there is the Commons Hotel right on campus within view of the stadium.

Unfortunately, unlike Chicago, Minneapolis destroyed all of their old historic hotels, and many of the interesting buildings downtown, so DT Minneapolis is a bit wasteland, but at least there is a better than average amount of activity downtown.

I'd suggest perusing this site to see old Minneapolis:

http://www.lileks.com/mpls/hotels/

villox should post the name of the hotel we've stayed at there the few times we have gone. It's fun!

Bad idea staying at the Best Western Normandy Inn & Suites. Worse idea trying to go to the pool after hours.

Actually it's a decent and pretty cheap hotel in the heart of downtown and offers shuttles to the game. Plus you can get a poolside room.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT