ADVERTISEMENT

Most improved: Matt or Brooks

torque-cat

Dec 11, 2018
Who do we think is our our most improved player this year? I'd vote for Matt, but Brooks has certainly made a run lately. I am very impressed with how much agility, toughness and smarts MN plays with. He has given the best big in the country plenty to handle and never seems to back down. He is running out on the perimeter to force guards out and then getting back to guard the big. He is playing with tons of poise as a high post passer. He is also dunking and blocking on some athletic dudes like last night. If he continues to improve at this rate, particularly with some offensive post moves he could be all big ten. With his size and athleticism, imagine him with Ryan Young like post moves--would be a beast.

Brooks is a smart, skilled player. Needs to work on some of his drives in traffic, but you can see him being an all big ten type player in a year or two if he continues to improve. I think he already has the skill set but is just getting comfortable with big ten speed and physicality.

Brooks will be the best “All Around” player on the team by this wkend. His rebounding, defense, hustle, three point shooting, and ability to score twos in the paint. Yes boo and chase are our horses but Barney all around is more consistent.

Brooks will be the best “All Around” player on the team by this wkend. His rebounding, defense, hustle, three point shooting, and ability to score twos in the paint. Yes boo and chase are our horses but Barney all around is more consistent.
Just to be in this conversation is huge progress for Brooks. A 6-6 guy like him who can play the 1-4 positions is invaluable. I would like to see him bring the ball up against the press rather than Chase when Buie is getting a rest.

It’s Matt for his body of work all season long, whereas Brooks has improved dramatically over the conference season and February.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
I can't decide.

As The Dude was first seen on screens 25 years ago today, I will let him answer for me

The Big Lebowski Whatever GIF

Who do we think is our our most improved player this year? I'd vote for Matt, but Brooks has certainly made a run lately. I am very impressed with how much agility, toughness and smarts MN plays with. He has given the best big in the country plenty to handle and never seems to back down. He is running out on the perimeter to force guards out and then getting back to guard the big. He is playing with tons of poise as a high post passer. He is also dunking and blocking on some athletic dudes like last night. If he continues to improve at this rate, particularly with some offensive post moves he could be all big ten. With his size and athleticism, imagine him with Ryan Young like post moves--would be a beast.

Brooks is a smart, skilled player. Needs to work on some of his drives in traffic, but you can see him being an all big ten type player in a year or two if he continues to improve. I think he already has the skill set but is just getting comfortable with big ten speed and physicality.
Buie improvement was huge. Not in what he could do but with how he became more of a leader.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
The best thing about this thread is that we are not just talking about 1 player but 2 or 3 if you put in BOO.
For the newcomers I will go with MN because he has been there all year long and gone up against some of the best centers in the nation. He kinda hit a wall the last week and a half two weeks but last nights game showed how important he has been all season. His interior D has given NU a legitimate presence that has been sorely missing for years. His offense while still lacking post-up moves still has to be accounted for as he seems to get monster dunks every game. He only played 88 minutes his first two years so a big step up for him.
Brooks, you can tell he is a coaches son. He understands the game is aggressive and the more he plays the better he will be. He was hampered last year by injury so another big step up in playing time foe him also.
BOO. This is his team. He has shown his leadership not just by talking but doing it on the court by getting everyone involved by passing telling people where they should lined up on D and his maturity as there are several times a game where he in previous years he would jack a three but not this year and that is why he should be first team All-Big. He is the indisputable leader of our Big Dance team.

There has been major improvement all around, especially on defense. Duh.

I did not follow players super closely last season, but one player whose game looks very different to me is Berry's. Yes, he has struggled with his outside shot, but I do not recall him working inside with his dribble like he has done this year. And of course he has become a very good rebounder and defender. He's much more of a "basketball player" it seems.

He was hampered last year by injury
Are you sure about that? I think Barnhizer missed the first two games, but he wasn't playing regardless. His fellow freshman Casey Simmons was playing ahead of him and getting the attention (and minutes).

Simmons decision to transfer to Yale was another inadvertent positive development for NU. We'll see how it goes for him in the Ivy.

Are you sure about that? I think Barnhizer missed the first two games, but he wasn't playing regardless. His fellow freshman Casey Simmons was playing ahead of him and getting the attention (and minutes).

Simmons decision to transfer to Yale was another inadvertent positive development for NU. We'll see how it goes for him in the Ivy.
There was also Greer to rotate in the backcourt. Barnhizer, injuries or not, deservingly or not, was not going to see time last year.

I thought Barnhizer came in with a foot injury and got behind in camp and never got into the rotation. As the way it has worked out for BB and NU it could not be any better as Brooks looks like he is going to be a major contributor for us for the next several years.

Reactions: drewjin and NUThump
I thought Barnhizer came in with a foot injury and got behind in camp and never got into the rotation. As the way it has worked out for BB and NU it could not be any better as Brooks looks like he is going to be a major contributor for us for the next several years.
Barnhizer can shoot and he can put the biscuit in the basket. It's as simple as that.

I'll take Barnhizer for my vote, but there are multiple good answers which is a fantastic thing to see.

• Love
Reactions: drewjin

BB didn’t play last year due to injury. Matt didn’t play much due to coach. So I think only Matt qualifies. If BB had not been hurt, he may have forced his way onto the court like this year.

BB didn’t play last year due to injury. Matt didn’t play much due to coach. So I think only Matt qualifies. If BB had not been hurt, he may have forced his way onto the court like this year.
Barnhizer wasn't hurt beyond November.
He played occasional garbage minutes throughout the whole disappointing season. Every 10-14 days he got into a game from mid-December on.
36 of his 82 minutes for the season came in the 2 blowouts against Iowa at the end of the year.

Barnhizer wasn't hurt beyond November.
He played occasional garbage minutes throughout the whole disappointing season. Every 10-14 days he got into a game from mid-December on.
36 of his 82 minutes for the season came in the 2 blowouts against Iowa at the end of the year.
Ok - I was also largely checked out last season. I had thought I read he was shut down due to injury. My memory is clearly wrong.

Not sure what he demonstrated in that garbage time. I gotta say I would reluctantly go with him as I think he is a star in the making. I’m thinking VV level. But I think MN and Boo deserve a ton of credit as does Berry.

I mean - besides the D, the development clearly happened like it should on a broad spectrum this past offseason. And all why admissions doesn’t mean we can’t have nice things - we simply have to develop them.

Ok - I was also largely checked out last season. I had thought I read he was shut down due to injury. My memory is clearly wrong.

Not sure what he demonstrated in that garbage time. I gotta say I would reluctantly go with him as I think he is a star in the making. I’m thinking VV level. But I think MN and Boo deserve a ton of credit as does Berry.

I mean - besides the D, the development clearly happened like it should on a broad spectrum this past offseason. And all why admissions doesn’t mean we can’t have nice things - we simply have to develop them.
Barnhizer struggled in his very limted use. His scoring numbers were bad, but you could tell that he had ability and loved playing. Trust me on this - we are lucky to still have him and he got some good advice.

Reactions: drewjin and DaCat
Barnhizer struggled in his very limted use. His scoring numbers were bad, but you could tell that he had ability and loved playing. Trust me on this - we are lucky to still have him and he got some good advice.
Yes we are and I hope he uses all his eligibility at NU. He has become my favorite player.

The best thing about this thread is that we are not just talking about 1 player but 2 or 3 if you put in BOO.
For the newcomers I will go with MN because he has been there all year long and gone up against some of the best centers in the nation. He kinda hit a wall the last week and a half two weeks but last nights game showed how important he has been all season. His interior D has given NU a legitimate presence that has been sorely missing for years. His offense while still lacking post-up moves still has to be accounted for as he seems to get monster dunks every game. He only played 88 minutes his first two years so a big step up for him.
Brooks, you can tell he is a coaches son. He understands the game is aggressive and the more he plays the better he will be. He was hampered last year by injury so another big step up in playing time foe him also.
BOO. This is his team. He has shown his leadership not just by talking but doing it on the court by getting everyone involved by passing telling people where they should lined up on D and his maturity as there are several times a game where he in previous years he would jack a three but not this year and that is why he should be first team All-Big. He is the indisputable leader of our Big Dance team.
It wasn't that he hit a wall. It was that they tended to play teams that they tried to go smaller against using Verhoven

Also, in his decision-making as well as playing under control, two traits that are harder to measure than others, statistically.
That was a big part of him taking on leadership role. Not playing hero ball and playing more within the framework of the team

Barney is shooting a team high 42.3 percent!

He improved dramatically. His shot beyond short range was terrible. He has clearly worked his tail off on his shot.

He also improved dramatically within this season. At a point he was under 20% on 3 pt FG% this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT