ADVERTISEMENT

Mr Fitzgerald: Please take the first Hot Air Balloon ride back to reality

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
Sir, are you going to stop blaming the players and start blaming your crappy coaching? Crappy coaches? And crappy recruiting?

If you want to keep getting 100% graduation rates, I get it! But don't talk all that BS and expect us to continue donating big bucks to a program that gets in the way of excellence.

Selling NU by the dollar? Deal me out! I'll get tickets off Tickpick next year for $2.

And your boy Phillips has polluted the atmosphere by commercializing everything. Destroying tailgates, etc of longtime fans.

Save all of your dopey comments about how you and your program were "Kicking ass and taking names". Really? You are the only NU coach in 30 years not to win a Big Ten Championship and you talk about kicking butt and taking names? Only in the movies, sir. Only in the movies.

Sad.

As Freedie once said, "Nothing else matters"

Fans wanna know

Last edited:
I've donated around $100,000 to this program and I think I have a right to express a bit of anger about where this program is at. And I'm not talking about wins. Most of you, and I, have loved and supported this program in seasons just like this one.

The difference is that this program has been commercialized before its time. If Phillips wants to crown this team then let him crown this team (And the Basketball fiasco as well) but if he wants us to dress it up like a Christmas tree like the football team is anything other than what it actually is, then deal me out now. Same with BB.

The football team wins one divisional and thinks they are the New England Patriots and boot everyone who doesn't pay $2,500 out of the west lot. The Basketball team wins one freakin NCAA tournament game and then puts on a new price tag that is ridiculously overpriced for BB. I could almost understand a one time PSL, but each year we are expected to pay thousands for a lower bowl seat to a team that is crappy and who purposely schedules crappy teams to try to inflate the record of a lousy program? Really?

Look, I realize this is NU. I'm just saying, don't put lipstick on it because we know what it is.

Bring back Carmody and Walker type coaches who understand and walk the walk, instead of trash talking like Mr Fitzgerald.
Dude needs to get back to Kansas. There are dozens of coaches who can step right into NU, with these facilities, and really kick ass and take names. Fitzgerald isn't one of them. He is only doing that sorta stuff on the internet, his home grown press conferences, and twitter. Talks big but loses on the field. Never won a single championship.

Barnett + 2
Walker + 1
Fitzgerald ZERO

I've donated around $100,000 to this program and I think I have a right to express a bit of anger about where this program is at. And I'm not talking about wins. Most of you, and I, have loved and supported this program in seasons just like this one.

The difference is that this program has been commercialized before its time. If Phillips wants to crown this team then let him crown this team (And the Basketball fiasco as well) but if he wants us to dress it up like a Christmas tree like the football team is anything other than what it actually is, then deal me out now. Same with BB.

The football team wins one divisional and thinks they are the New England Patriots and boot everyone who doesn't pay $2,500 out of the west lot. The Basketball team wins one freakin NCAA tournament game and then puts on a new price tag that is ridiculously overpriced for BB. I could almost understand a one time PSL, but each year we are expected to pay thousands for a lower bowl seat to a team that is crappy and who purposely schedules crappy teams to try to inflate the record of a lousy program? Really?

Look, I realize this is NU. I'm just saying, don't put lipstick on it because we know what it is.

Bring back Carmody and Walker type coaches who understand and walk the walk, instead of trash talking like Mr Fitzgerald.
Dude needs to get back to Kansas. There are dozens of coaches who can step right into NU, with these facilities, and really kick ass and take names. Fitzgerald isn't one of them. He is only doing that sorta stuff on the internet, his home grown press conferences, and twitter. Talks big but loses on the field. Never won a single championship.

Barnett + 2
Walker + 1
Fitzgerald ZERO
Turk, I appreciate your systems thinking. You must be a disciple of Peter Senge.

Life always teaches you what you need to know—PROVIDED YOU ARE WILLING TO LISTEN AND LEARN.

Hopefully PF & Co are humbled by this abomination of a season and rethink many of their notions about the program.

Reactions: ubercat
Turk, I appreciate your systems thinking. You must be a disciple of Peter Senge.

Life always teaches you what you need to know—PROVIDED YOU ARE WILLING TO LISTEN AND LEARN.

Hopefully PF & Co are humbled by this abomination of a season and rethink many of their notions about the program.
lol.
Don't really know about Peter Senge but I think Mr Fitzgerald/Phillips need Peter Berger's book "The Sacred Canopy" which describes a sociological theory on the Process of Legitimation.

Those two have stepped all over the idols of most sports fans as if they are ignorant. A fan base stems from a culture that develops over time through internalizing things. Mr Fitzgerald and Mr Phillips polluted the previous NU culture in the name of $$$.

OSU can do that and get away with it in difficult seasons (more than 1 loss seasons). NU can't do it in difficult seasons, and get away with it. Not by smashing down the NU fan idols (tailgating, wildcat priority points) in the process.

Reactions: fcmchi
Being humbled is one of life’s greatest lessons. Even the Iron Sheik, who is dumber than a can of tomatoes, understood this truth.

And when you understand that humans are such fallible creatures; that we are so prone to errors of judgment, susceptible to foolish pride, that we are driven by fear, and sometimes avarice, we can start to find freedom. That is, freedom from the fears, insecurities, and biases that enslave our thinking and diminish our ability to learn and grow.

You are never too old to learn and relearn these lessons. As long as you are breathing, you can get better.

Fitz needs to be better.

Being humbled is one of life’s greatest lessons. Even the Iron Sheik, who is dumber than a can of tomatoes, understood this truth.

And when you understand that humans are such fallible creatures; that we are so prone to errors of judgment, susceptible to foolish pride, that we are driven by fear, and sometimes avarice, we can start to find freedom. That is, freedom from the fears, insecurities, and biases that enslave our thinking and diminish our ability to learn and grow.

You are never too old to learn and relearn these lessons. As long as you are breathing, you can get better.

Fitz needs to be better.
Was that Peter Senge? I don't think Fitz has any of that fear stuff going on, at least not within his profession. Dude is a god with Mr Phillips. No danger at all of losing his job since most accept that NU is just a bad program and nobody else would come here outside of a MAC coach.

Barnett + 2
Walker + 1
Fitzgerald ZERO

And there comes the entitlement. Perfect. Absolutely perfect.

Sir, are you going to stop blaming the players and start blaming your crappy coaching? Crappy coaches? And crappy recruiting?

If you want to keep getting 100% graduation rates, I get it! But don't talk all that BS and expect us to continue donating big bucks to a program that gets in the way of excellence.

Selling NU by the dollar? Deal me out! I'll get tickets off Tickpick next year for $2.

And your boy Phillips has polluted the atmosphere by commercializing everything. Destroying tailgates, etc of longtime fans.

Save all of your dopey comments about how you and your program were "Kicking ass and taking names". Really? You are the only NU coach in 30 years not to win a Big Ten Championship and you talk about kicking butt and taking names? Only in the movies, sir. Only in the movies.

Sad.

Fans wanna know
From your headline, I thought you were advocating flying a Trump Baby-like balloon over Ryan Field next week. Only that one will have the likeness of Fitz.

Reactions: NUCat320 and IGNORE

Sad.

Fans wanna know
Disagree Turk! Way to many injuries to key players. Smith is third string.

Was that Peter Senge? I don't think Fitz has any of that fear stuff going on, at least not within his profession. Dude is a god with Mr Phillips. No danger at all of losing his job since most accept that NU is just a bad program and nobody else would come here outside of a MAC coach.
That’s Hungry Jack, graduate of the school of hard knocks and random musings.

It’s not about fear of losing a job, it’s about fear of being seen as wrong. As failing. No one likes to be told that your methods are faulty, that your plans are flawed, that your decisions are poor. Fitz is dug in and hunkered down like an Alabama tick. He needs to let go. He needs to embrace the suck. Admit his mistakes, and do better.

Reactions: IGNORE

I believe the way they will be humbled is for big donors to tell them to be.

Reactions: IGNORE
I believe the way they will be humbled is for big donors to tell them to be.

So, you think the person in this thread that needs to be humbled is Coach Fitzgerald and not the thread starter? That's fascinating.

So, you think the person in this thread that needs to be humbled is Coach Fitzgerald and not the thread starter? That's fascinating.

I do. I think NU athletics will regress to a very lonely place if PF runs off all the fans that actually like the game and expect a competitive team. Leaving behind the participation trophy advocates and the parents.

Games will be more populated by opposing fans. Students won’t go much. You will graduate everybody. As will the theater department and you will have about the same outside interest.

#dontcare will rule.

Reactions: willycat and Turk
I do. I think NU athletics will regress to a very lonely place if PF runs off all the fans that actually like the game and expect a competitive team. Leaving behind the participation trophy advocates and the parents.

Games will be more populated by opposing fans. Students won’t go much. You will graduate everybody. As will the theater department and you will have about the same outside interest.

#dontcare will rule.

That's some soft fandom if one bad season runs you off. That's the kind of fandom that cries about not getting the right tailgating spot or about how expensive NU football is getting. How does that have anything to do with actually liking the game or expecting a competitive team? It's not even good trolling. I mean...at least claiming our DBs got Jerrified back in the day had some poetic elan. This is just pretend demanding fan cluelessness. It's like aliens observing college football and trying to pretend they are human college football fans. Throw in dumb buzzwords like "participation trophy" in a desperate attempt to make it sound like something an actual fan of a program might say and maybe someone will buy it.

And when Turk likes your posts, you know it's one of two things - you are either him posting as Mr. Wickerpark or wrong. ;)

Last edited:
That's some soft fandom if one bad season runs you off. That's the kind of fandom that cries about not getting the right tailgating spot or about how expensive NU football is getting. How does that have anything to do with actually liking the game or expecting a competitive team? It's not even good trolling. I mean...at least claiming our DBs got Jerrified back in the day had some poetic elan. This is just pretend demanding fan cluelessness. It's like aliens observing college football and trying to pretend they are human college football fans. Throw in dumb buzzwords like "participation trophy" in a desperate attempt to make it sound like something an actual fan of a program might say and maybe someone will buy it.

And when Turk likes your posts, you know it's one of two things - you are either him posting as Mr. Wickerpark or wrong. ;)

I think the offensive problems go beyond one season. PF has simply become too obstinate and insulting. So, I absolutely will demand major changes. And absent changes, will not schedule my saturdays around NU football anytime soon.

I think the offensive problems go beyond one season. PF has simply become too obstinate and insulting. So, I absolutely will demand major changes. And absent changes, will not schedule my saturdays around NU football anytime soon.

Cool. Good luck to you. If they don't fire anyone and we get back to winning games, maybe you can turn your attention to helping Turk get a better tailgate spot. ;)

Reactions: IGNORE and corbi296
Boy, that'll show 'em.

And that attitude will. I suppose, after reading thing around here, that I’m isolated case. I’m sure the season tickets will be over sold next year. Nobody will stop coming to games that have the same group of coaches.

Since PF is unlikely to fire anyone, we will get to test this case. Wager?

Cool. Good luck to you. If they don't fire anyone and we get back to winning games, maybe you can turn your attention to helping Turk get a better tailgate spot. ;)

And if they don’t? You’ll just keep your head in the sand, I guess. Go sports team!

And if they don’t? You’ll just keep your head in the sand, I guess. Go sports team!

So many options. Most importantly, will the right people get better tailgating spots? And will they give participation trophies? ;)

Last edited:
And that attitude will. I suppose, after reading thing around here, that I’m isolated case. I’m sure the season tickets will be over sold next year. Nobody will stop coming to games that have the same group of coaches.

Since PF is unlikely to fire anyone, we will get to test this case. Wager?
I agree with you that attendance will likely fall off next year. If PF gets his crap together people will come back. If not there are plenty of other things to do on Saturdays. I doubt attendance will be the factor that drives Phillips or PF to make changes though.

Reactions: drewjin
I would think many on the board would be happy with the season tanking and a resulting drop off in ticket sales. They might be able to get back into the west lot.

Reactions: hoosboot
I like Fitz. I do not like his philosophy about offense. I think it has brought us to the point where we are, and I don't believe it will get us out of this soon, or at least not in a meaningful way. So, yes, I believe a little humility to balance his stubbornness will serve him well.

So, let me get this straight: Fitz hasn’t won anything. He only won a division title because the Big Ten west was down. So we need a guy like Fleck who is winning big in an even more pathetic Big Ten West?

We suck. Purdue sucks. Nebraska sucks. Don’t kid yourselves: Illinois sucks. The division is horrible.

Tack on to your romp through the westy muck Rutgers, at its most Rutgerest, a perennially overrated Penn State team, some random Fresnoey Dakotas, and you have yourself a good looking Gopher season. Pretty much like the Cats last year.

Minnesota is a good team which looks great because it is the wildebeest of the west, dropping stool in a division of sad little dung beetles. Just like many of you say Fitz did.

Oh, but the difference?

Fitz will be here in three years winning games. As for Fleck, I guess we will see if his shtick works at Auburn, Tennessee, USC, Norte Dame.

I guess I’ll stop here, because mr big boy pants sues people with prefontaine quickness when his little feelings get hurt. F is for Fleck, and for what he can do to himself.

This is a blip, people. Get over yourselves. And Flalum shouldn’t be an admin if Turk is permitted to pollute the board like this, with multiple usernames and constant BS. Forget replacing Fitz. Replace Flalum. This board is unreadable. I remember why I left.

Last edited:
I like Fitz. I do not like his philosophy about offense. I think it has brought us to the point where we are, and I don't believe it will get us out of this soon, or at least not in a meaningful way. So, yes, I believe a little humility to balance his stubbornness will serve him well.

Thanks for the reply. While I agree that the offense is a problem, I humbly disagree with most of the rest of your post.

So, let me get this straight: Fitz hasn’t won anything. He only won a division title because the Big Ten west was down. So we need a guy like Fleck who is winning big in an even more pathetic Big Ten West?

We suck. Purdue sucks. Nebraska sucks. Don’t kid yourselves: Illinois sucks. The division is horrible.

Tack on to your romp through the westy muck Rutgers, at its most Rutgerest, a perennially overrated Penn State team, some random Fresnoey Dakotas, and you have yourself a good looking Gopher season. Pretty much like the Cats last year.

Minnesota is a good team which looks great because it is the wildebeest of the west, dropping stool in a division of sad little dung beetles. Just like many of you say Fitz did.

Oh, but the difference?

Fitz will be here in three years winning games. As for Fleck, I guess we will see if his shtick works at Auburn, Tennessee, USC, Norte Dame.

I guess I’ll stop here, because mr big boy pants sues people with prefontaine quickness when his little feelings get hurt. F is for Fleck, and for what he can do to himself.

This is a blip, people. Get over yourselves. And Flalum shouldn’t be an admin if Turk is permitted to pollute the board like this, with multiple usernames and constant BS. Forget replacing Fitz. Replace Flalum. This board is unreadable. I remember why I left.
Neither this board, nor especially FloridAlum are as you describe. Florida's weakness may be free drinks, with which Turk/Wickerpark are complicit, but the benefit of that is his being the great NU booster he is/has been. Look, anyone who argues the earth is flat is crazy, we know that. But through the haze and the hyperbole, Turk sometimes gets it right. If NU's offense were as interesting as some of the characters on this board, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Some posters don't always get it right, but neither does Fitz. So you want to get rid of one in favor of the other. I say we are better off with both.

Last edited:
I have observed, over the years, admittedly from afar, that Flalum excels at those things which really matter in life. (Football is not one of them.)

But his soft spot for certain posters allows them to transgress wildly.

Thanks for the reply. While I agree that the offense is a problem, I humbly disagree with most of the rest of your post.
Who knows what Fitz is going to do, but if next year the team turns it around to finish at least in the top half of the division, I suggest that will be because Fitz becomes introspective (not without humility). I say that because our offense has been operating on a razor's edge for at least 6 years, and finally crashed off the edge this year. Fundamental change is required to get us off the razor's edge and set the offense on a more sustainable course.

Reactions: drewjin
Why do people get so wrapped up in how other people pursue their fandom? Frankly, I’m more concerned about having enough hot sauce on my Nashville chicken sandwich.
Hot sauce races are a manifestation of the problem. Choose your own damn sauce and keep them out of time outs.

Oh, but the difference?

I wish you would tell us what you really think. Don't hold back next time.

I wish you would tell us what you really think. Don't hold back next time.

If you think that is bad, you wouldn’t have liked the predecessors to this forum very much.

The Barnett flame wars on the old ESPN forums were legendary. This board is tame by comparison.

I take it you disagree? About football, or moderation?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT