DE-Corey Wooton
OLB-Paddy Fisher
MLB-Anthony Walker
OLB-Nate Hall
CB-Sherrick McMannis
SS-Brian Peters
FS-Ibraheim Campbell
CB-Montre Hartage

This will take some thought. You need one more on offense, though.

Offense

LT-Pat Ward
RG-Tommy Doles
C-Brandon Vitable
LG-Brian Mulroe
RT-Rashawn Slater
WR-Austin Carr
WR-Jeremy Ebert
TE-Dan Vitale
RB-Justin Jackson
QB-Dan Persa

Defense

DE-Dean Lowry
DT-Corbin Bryant
DT-Tyler Lancaster
DE-Corey Wooton
OLB-Paddy Fisher
MLB-Anthony Walker
OLB-Nate Hall
CB-Sherrick McMannis
SS-Brian Peters
FS-Ibraheim Campbell
CB-Montre Hartage
Quick question: are you only allowed to include players recruited / signed by Fitz?

If so, then I think Persa, Bryant, and Wootton are all off.

Thorson beats out Siemian for the top QB, Gaziano replaces Wootton at DE, and there are a few good candidates for DT

Also, there should be a third WR to have eleven on offense - should Colter, Brewer, Markhausen, or Nagel jump into the slot? Or someone else as a second superback, such as Dunsmore?

Last edited:
Starting with All Big Ten accolades

Nick Van Hoose
Sherrick McManis

Montre Hartage
Jordan Mabin
Matthew Harris

Brad Phillips
Godwin Igewbuike

Ibraheim Campbell
Brendan Smith
Kyle Quiero
JR Pace

Corey Wooton
Dean Lowry

Tyler Scott
Joe Gaziano
Ifeadi Odenigbo
Vince Browne
Deonte Gibson

John Gill
Tyler Lancaster

Corbin Bryant
Samdup Miller

Anthony Walker
Paddy Fisher
Nate Hall

Chi Chi Ariguzo
Blake Gallagher
Damien Proby
David Nwabuisi

Brian Mulroe
Al Netter
Brandon Vitabile
Patrick Ward
Tommy Doles

Trevor Rees
Keegan Kennedy

Dan Persa
Mike Kafka
Clayton Thorson
Kain Colter
CJ Bacher

Justin Jackson
Tyrell Sutton
Venric Mark
Jeremy Larkin

Drake Dunsmore
Dan Vitale
Garrett Dickerson
Cameron Green

Austin Carr
Jeremy Ebert
Flynn Nagel

Zeke Markshausen
Eric Peterman

Jeff Budzien
Stefan Demos
Amado Villarreal

Brandon Williams
Hunter Niswander

Solomon Vault

Offense

LT-Pat Ward
RG-Tommy Doles
C-Brandon Vitable
LG-Brian Mulroe
RT-Rashawn Slater
WR-Austin Carr
WR-Jeremy Ebert
WR-Kyle Prater
TE-Dan Vitale
RB-Justin Jackson
QB-Clayton Thorson

Defense

DE-Dean Lowry
DT-Jordan Thompson
DT-Tyler Lancaster
DE-Ifeadi Odenigbo
OLB-Paddy Fisher
MLB-Anthony Walker
OLB-Nate Hall
CB-Matt Harris
SS-Ibraheim Campbell
FS-Kyle Queiro
CB-Montre Hartage

Offense

LT-Pat Ward
RG-Tommy Doles
C-Brandon Vitable
LG-Brian Mulroe
RT-Rashawn Slater
WR-Austin Carr
WR-Jeremy Ebert
TE-Dan Vitale
RB-Justin Jackson
QB-Dan Persa

Defense

DE-Dean Lowry
DT-Corbin Bryant
DT-Tyler Lancaster
DE-Corey Wooton
OLB-Paddy Fisher
MLB-Anthony Walker
OLB-Nate Hall
CB-Sherrick McMannis
SS-Brian Peters
FS-Ibraheim Campbell
CB-Montre Hartage

Gotta have Godwin over Peters.
Maybe Dunsmore over Vitale, but it's close.
OL looks really thin... wow, just wow

Offense

LT-Pat Ward
RG-Tommy Doles
C-Brandon Vitable
LG-Brian Mulroe
RT-Rashawn Slater
WR-Austin Carr
WR-Jeremy Ebert
WR-Kyle Prater
TE-Dan Vitale
RB-Justin Jackson
QB-Clayton Thorson

Defense

DE-Dean Lowry
DT-Jordan Thompson
DT-Tyler Lancaster
DE-Ifeadi Odenigbo
OLB-Paddy Fisher
MLB-Anthony Walker
OLB-Nate Hall
CB-Matt Harris
SS-Ibraheim Campbell
FS-Kyle Queiro
CB-Montre Hartage

Clayton Thorson? Surely you are smoking something.

I hope that he plays a game that is worthy of such accolades this Saturday though.

I hope that he plays a game that is worthy of such accolades this Saturday though.

Only counted players recruited by Fitz as mentioned above. So it's basically him or Siemian as Persa, Kafka, and Bacher don't count, right?

I'd take Persa and Kafka above Thorson.

Only counted players recruited by Fitz as mentioned above. So it's basically him or Siemian as Persa, Kafka, and Bacher don't count, right?

I'd take Persa and Kafka above Thorson.
Thorson gets no respect. How can he throw for over 10,000 yards, have the most career starts in the history of the school, lead the NCAA in active career starts, have more wins than any QB in NU history ( by a lot) and not be the best QB that Fitz coached period. For a career it is not close. If Persa and Kafka are included, I still take CT. So pass me the weed. If someone wants to argue Persa and/or Kafka has a better season than any CT had, then fine, but career, no way. A lot of people remember the poor games and basically dismiss the games CT won where he was pretty much the whole offense.

Thorson gets no respect. How can he throw for over 10,000 yards, have the most career starts in the history of the school, lead the NCAA in active career starts, have more wins than any QB in NU history ( by a lot) and not be the best QB that Fitz coached period. For a career it is not close. If Persa and Kafka are included, I still take CT. So pass me the weed. If someone wants to argue Persa and/or Kafka has a better season than any CT had, then fine, but career, no way. A lot of people remember the poor games and basically dismiss the games CT won where he was pretty much the whole offense.

I guess fans just want MOAR. All Thorson does is win games, though sometimes the style points may suffer. Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until you don't have it anymore.

We can't have nice things.

Because at the end of the day, if you had to take a healthy Persa (or even Kafka, Siemian, or Bacher) or Thorson, I wouldn't take him. If I could have a healthy Dan Persa vs. even elite Clayton Thorson for this Saturday, I would take Dan (though elite Thorson would make it much closer). Sorry, but Clayton's too inconsistent to make my Fitz team. Dan Persa was hands down the best QB to play for Fitz, it's not even close. I credit CT for the games were he led us to victory. The Nebraska drive. MSU. The OT games last year. But, Persa (and others) had equally impressive games, but didn't have as many games like Rutgers and none like Akron.

He got 10,000 yards because he started 4 years. None of them were All B1G type seasons. He has more wins than any QB in NU history because he was a 4 year starter and largely also because of Mike Hankwitz. My perspective may change if he leads us to a victory and B1G title this Saturday. But, right now, he's just not there. Sorry, we have different opinions and that's the way I see it.

Because at the end of the day, if you had to take a healthy Persa (or even Kafka, Siemian, or Bacher) or Thorson, I wouldn't take him. If I could have a healthy Dan Persa vs. even elite Clayton Thorson for this Saturday, I would take Dan (though elite Thorson would make it much closer). Sorry, but Clayton's too inconsistent to make my Fitz team. Dan Persa was hands down the best QB to play for Fitz, it's not even close. I credit CT for the games were he led us to victory. The Nebraska drive. MSU. The OT games last year. But, Persa (and others) had equally impressive games, but didn't have as many games like Rutgers and none like Akron.

He got 10,000 yards because he started 4 years. None of them were All B1G type seasons. He has more wins than any QB in NU history because he was a 4 year starter and largely also because of Mike Hankwitz. My perspective may change if he leads us to a victory and B1G title this Saturday. But, right now, he's just not there. Sorry, we have different opinions and that's the way I see it.

I know I won’t convince you or others ( not really trying to) that CT is the top QB in the Fitz era, but I think the guy suffers 1) from a recent bias and 2) from a Jim McMahon like syndrome that he only wins because of the D and 3 ) he isn’t the dual threat QB that many prefer.

CT will end his career throwing for twice as many yards as Persa. He will have 3 seasons where he topped Dan’s throwing yardage in the magical 2010 break out campaign. His 22 Passing TD’s in 2016 topped Dan’s best mark by 5. He will probably get close to 3 times Dan’s rushing TD’s when it is all said and done. Granted they are mostly sneaks, but they still count. Surprisingly, CT was only 100 yards short of Dan for most rushing yards in a season. Importantly, CT won more conference games this season than Dan did in his entire career! I don’t want this to be a bash Persa thing, because like you he was one of my favorites. His 2010 season was exceptional and he carried the team. This is more about the disrespect CT gets from a lot of people.

I hate the D won all those games argument. No one on D threw the ball, ran the ball or engineered game winning drives. 4 year starters should be celebrated not dismissed as a longevity award. I think the frustration comes in that CT’s best year was he Sophomore year. Everyone expected him to be better his Junior year and he wasn’t. The bowl injury clearly impacted him at the start of this year at a minimum, hence more frustration because we haven’t consistently seen the 2016 version. At the end of the day CT is on the All Fitz team ( assuming the OP is basing it on career not a best season) and it isn’t close.

One way or another, this Saturday will likely tip the scales.

Offense

LT-Pat Ward
RG-Tommy Doles
C-Brandon Vitable
LG-Brian Mulroe
RT-Rashawn Slater
WR-Austin Carr
WR-Jeremy Ebert
TE-Dan Vitale
RB-Justin Jackson
QB-Dan Persa

Defense

DE-Dean Lowry
DT-Corbin Bryant
DT-Tyler Lancaster
DE-Corey Wooton
OLB-Paddy Fisher
MLB-Anthony Walker
OLB-Nate Hall
CB-Sherrick McMannis
SS-Brian Peters
FS-Ibraheim Campbell
CB-Montre Hartage

You get to play 11 guys on Offense. And no special teams?

I know I won’t convince you or others ( not really trying to) that CT is the top QB in the Fitz era, but I think the guy suffers 1) from a recent bias and 2) from a Jim McMahon like syndrome that he only wins because of the D and 3 ) he isn’t the dual threat QB that many prefer.

CT will end his career throwing for twice as many yards as Persa. He will have 3 seasons where he topped Dan’s throwing yardage in the magical 2010 break out campaign. His 22 Passing TD’s in 2016 topped Dan’s best mark by 5. He will probably get close to 3 times Dan’s rushing TD’s when it is all said and done. Granted they are mostly sneaks, but they still count. Surprisingly, CT was only 100 yards short of Dan for most rushing yards in a season. Importantly, CT won more conference games this season than Dan did in his entire career! I don’t want this to be a bash Persa thing, because like you he was one of my favorites. His 2010 season was exceptional and he carried the team. This is more about the disrespect CT gets from a lot of people.

I hate the D won all those games argument. No one on D threw the ball, ran the ball or engineered game winning drives. 4 year starters should be celebrated not dismissed as a longevity award. I think the frustration comes in that CT’s best year was he Sophomore year. Everyone expected him to be better his Junior year and he wasn’t. The bowl injury clearly impacted him at the start of this year at a minimum, hence more frustration because we haven’t consistently seen the 2016 version. At the end of the day CT is on the All Fitz team ( assuming the OP is basing it on career not a best season) and it isn’t close.

You have some good points. I just don't have as much confidence that we are going to go down and score when Thorson is out there. Not as much as Bacher, Kafka (as a senior) or Siemian either.

I don't care whether you are dual threat or not. Actually, I probably prefer that our QB slings it around, ala CJ Bacher, but at the end of the day, it's whether you're able to put up points. Clayton's sophomore year may have been his best year. The year he peaked. I thought he regressed last year, and this year as well. Sure, he's had his moments of brilliance (the Nebraska drive in particular) but then we got Akron this year (perhaps the worst QB performance at NU since the days of Andrew Brewer) and Rutgers (not far behind). The inconsistency is maddening. Frankly, had he performed like he did Sophomore year in Junior and Senior years, and not regressed and just stayed flat, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

Your All-Fitz QB shouldn't have you every game hoping your D can win the game for you, leading an offense that is not in the top of half of the conference or Division 1, or thanking the heavens that Isaiah Bowser emerged as a feature back, and feeling that otherwise, we'd be in boatload of trouble.

Agree that Saturday will do much to tip the scales one way or another.

Starting with All Big Ten accolades

Nick Van Hoose
Sherrick McManis

Montre Hartage
Jordan Mabin
Matthew Harris

Brad Phillips
Godwin Igewbuike

Ibraheim Campbell
Brendan Smith
Kyle Quiero
JR Pace

Corey Wooton
Dean Lowry

Tyler Scott
Joe Gaziano
Ifeadi Odenigbo
Vince Browne
Deonte Gibson

John Gill
Tyler Lancaster

Corbin Bryant
Samdup Miller

Anthony Walker
Paddy Fisher
Nate Hall

Chi Chi Ariguzo
Blake Gallagher
Damien Proby
David Nwabuisi

Brian Mulroe
Al Netter
Brandon Vitabile
Patrick Ward
Tommy Doles

Trevor Rees
Keegan Kennedy

Dan Persa
Mike Kafka
Clayton Thorson
Kain Colter
CJ Bacher

Justin Jackson
Tyrell Sutton
Venric Mark
Jeremy Larkin

Drake Dunsmore
Dan Vitale
Garrett Dickerson
Cameron Green

Austin Carr
Jeremy Ebert
Flynn Nagel

Zeke Markshausen
Eric Peterman

Jeff Budzien
Stefan Demos
Amado Villarreal

Brandon Williams
Hunter Niswander

Solomon Vault
Nicely done

Yeah.... volume does not equal quality. He has tons of volume. He's middling in most quality stats, with the exception of 1 -- wins. He's been the best QB we've had in terms of winning conference games, hands down. But if you would have given Persa this defense for 4 years, I think he would have been able to do the same or maybe slightly better. I would take Thorson over Kafka, though. Mike had a stretch of a few great games, but he was also highly inconsistent and CT has sustained his decent-yet-inconsistent play over a much longer and more impressive stretch of time.

Yeah.... volume does not equal quality. He has tons of volume. He's middling in most quality stats, with the exception of 1 -- wins. He's been the best QB we've had in terms of winning conference games, hands down. But if you would have given Persa this defense for 4 years, I think he would have been able to do the same or maybe slightly better. I would take Thorson over Kafka, though. Mike had a stretch of a few great games, but he was also highly inconsistent and CT has sustained his decent-yet-inconsistent play over a much longer and more impressive stretch of time.

I think the statistic that says it all to me is that senior Clayton Thorson leads an offense that is ranked #110 in the country in total yards and 107th in scoring. If that's All-Fitz to some folks, it is nothing short of putrid in my book. (BTW, reminds me of how I still think McCall has overstayed his welcome and should be moving on, but I digress).

If people think that I'm not giving him credit for our wins, they are right. It's not our offense or Clayton Thorson that has been contributing to our wins as much as our defense.

I would take Persa over CT, but this is a pretty decent argument. That said, you are selectively picking stats. Just go over the full career and use the most obvious stats. See below. Note that adj ypa takes into account TDs and Ints.

Dan Persa: 21.5 games as starter (part of Iowa game when Kafka got hurt), 460-633 (73%), 5,181 yards (241 ypg), 8.2 ypa / 8.3 adj ypa / 34 TDs (1.6 pg) 13 Ints (0.6 pg)
Clayton Thorson: 51 games as starter, 943-1263 (58%) / 10,223 yards (200 ypg) / 6.3 ypa / 5.8 adj ypa / 58 TDs (1.1 pg) / 42 Ints (0.8 pg)
Persa 716 rush yds on 2.4 ypc and 10 TD, Thorson 417 rush yds on 1.2 ypc and 26 TDs.

While Thorson obviously wins on volume, Persa was a much more efficient passer. He easily beats him in completion %, ypg, ypa, TD/Int ratio, etc. This is not to take away from Thorson, who has been the most impactful QB to our team in maybe ever (probably 2nd after Schnur), but just to point out that Persa when healthy was a better college player than him.

Anyways, very much looking forward to CT expanding his lead in career wins for NU QBs this Saturday.

If you are talking about a career, then it's hard to argue against Thorson since he never had any competition and has had great health (his 'season ending' knee injury limited him in only 2 quarters last year). The only competition he has ever had was who?? Oliver? Even then, Fitz put him on the bench for Oliver as well. I mean was there anyone else to start those 54 games? There is a reason why Hunter Johnson came here. Instant playing time next year.
There is a reason why we became JJTBC. He had one year above par and that was the year he had 3 NFL players to throw to, i.e., AC, JJTBC, and Dickerson.

All other years were no more than par, including this year. Sadly, imo, he has the worst wide receivers in the entire big ten to throw to and do we have a left tackle? He can make every throw, can't run, but I can see him making a NFL active roster.

But as far as college, he is nothing 'wow'. He just isn't tough like Persa, Baz, or any other solid QB who made first team all big ten. I know you like him and talk about him like he is the next Dan Marino but there is a reason why this 5th year senior still can't make anything other than honorable mention All Big 10. Sorry.

And, as a college football fan, it was insulting for Fitz to mention him among the all time greats in the Big10 like Brees. He simply isn't that tough. Sort of a golden boy.

Last edited:
If you are talking about a career, then it's hard to argue against Thorson since he never had any competition and has had great health (his 'season ending' knee injury limited him in only 2 quarters last year). The only competition he has ever had was who?? Oliver? Even then, Fitz put him on the bench for Oliver as well. I mean was there anyone else to start those 54 games? There is a reason why Hunter Johnson came here. Instant playing time next year.
There is a reason why we became JJTBC. He had one year above par and that was the year he had 3 NFL players to throw to, i.e., AC, JJTBC, and Dickerson.

All other years were no more than par, including this year. Sadly, imo, he has the worst wide receivers in the entire big ten to throw to and do we have a left tackle? He can make every throw, can't run, but I can see him making a NFL active roster.

But as far as college, he is nothing 'wow'. He just isn't tough like Persa, Baz, or any other solid QB who made first team all big ten. I know you like him and talk about him like he is the next Dan Marino but there is a reason why this 5th year senior still can't make anything other than honorable mention All Big 10. Sorry.

And, as a college football fan, it was insulting for Fitz to mention him among the all time greats in the Big10 like Brees. He simply isn't that tough. Sort of a golden boy.
Harsh as usual, so we’ll agree to disagree on the relative value of CT to the program.

I will take issue with the Oliver comment as that is just wrong. Oliver started the Illinois game when CT was a true Freshman because they didn’t want to burn his shirt. Oliver played because of that not because he beat our CT. There were plenty of folks that were inside the program that will tell you CT gave NU the best chance to win the final game in that season. CT would have started that Illinois game if the redshirt rule of today existed then. Ask. In fact, I heard half way through that Freshman campaign that we had a stud coming up that many thought could have played that year. Yes, the year we had the much maligned Trevor at the helm. Trevor is one of the few people that took as much crap as CT on these boards. He wasn’t fully respected by many here until he showed something in the NFL. The “what have you done for me lately” culture is in full force with both of these QB’s. You can dismiss that he had no competition at QB, but the guy he beat out was a tough kid from your neck of the woods who happened to be a 4 star. Alviti got derailed by injuries Or maybe it could have been different, but he was a different type of QB even when healthy. CT earned playing 4 years, so you can continue to diminish his accomplishments as a longevity award, but I’d like to think he started for 4 years for the same reason Baz did, in that they clearly gave us the best chance to win.

Turk, questioning CT’s toughness is complete BS. How do you know what he has played through? Have you seen our pass protection the last 4 years. The guy gets drilled a lot. Is it his fault? Yes’ at times it is, but the point remains this guy never took a dive to avoid more punishment. By all accounts CT busted his ass to get back for the opener. He clearly wasn’t fully ready, this is by my definition tough. Same as Nate Hall. They were both there on the front line for their teammates. You can say he stinks, that is an opinion that you are more than entitled too, but you are way out of bounds to question the kids toughness.

CT may be horrible this Saturday or he may be great. Likely somewhere in between. The opinions on him likely won’t change either way for most people. All I will say, is thank goodness we got Hunter next year so the haters won’t be forced to recognize what a good player we had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT