ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska -9.5

Nebraska has a LOT of new coaches. 1st game out, could have some communication issues. Also Frost is at a make or break point in his career. I think you'll win close, with Nebby making a lot of mental mistakes.

They have 4 new offensive coaches:

Mark Whipple - Offensive Coordinator from Pitt
Mickey Joseph- WR Coach from LSU
Coach Applewhite- TCU
Donovan Raiola- Asst Offensive Line Coach with the Bears

They also hired an actual Special Teams Coach for the first time under Frost with Bill Busch from LSU. And if anyone paid attention to Nebraska Special Teams the last few seasons, then you would know those units have been an absolute abomination under Scott Frost.

Nebraska's Defensive staff is completely the same.

Last edited:
Beware of Whipple. He is known for "Whippleball", a very high flying and scoring offense not unlike what Frost ran at UCF. If our defense is not much better we will lose badly.

Whipple ball put up an ave. of 337 ypg through the air, putting it up 39 times a game...and ran it about 38 a game at a 4ypp clip...
But they played a kinda weak ACC schedule and lost to Western Michigan (I know I know!! so did we) with blowout wins against UMASS and New Hampshire

Whipple ball put up an ave. of 337 ypg through the air, putting it up 39 times a game...and ran it about 38 a game at a 4ypp clip...
But they played a kinda weak ACC schedule and lost to Western Michigan (I know I know!! so did we) with blowout wins against UMASS and New Hampshire

They scored 41 points and put up 520 yards in that loss to Western Michigan.

I suspect fitz and O’Neal know about whipple’s approach. We should be ready.

They have 4 new offensive coaches:

Mark Whipple - Offensive Coordinator from Pitt
Mickey Joseph- WR Coach from LSU
Coach Applewhite- TCU
Donovan Raiola- Asst Offensive Line Coach with the Bears

They also hired an actual Special Teams Coach for the first time under Frost with Bill Busch from LSU. And if anyone paid attention to Nebraska Special Teams the last few seasons, then you would know those units have been an absolute abomination under Scott Frost.

Nebraska's Defensive staff is completely the same.
I actually think UNL’s defense turned a corner last year. Erik Chinander has been coordinator for Frost’s tenure in Lincoln, and has pretty methodically upgraded the level of recruits and depth. My take on his approach has been that he wants his players to value aggression over discipline. In the first few years, they seemed to make big mistakes at key points in games (think of the 2018 Cats game with roughing the passer in the the end zone, and a DBack going for an interception rather than breakup, giving up 20 yac). Last year, he seemed to dial the aggression back a bit, and the Huskers appeared more disciplined on the defensive side. Chinander’s game plans have seemed sound to me, and I think their defense will be very good this year. Overall, with the burden of playing/not playing Martinez gone and a talented, experienced transfer in house at QB, the Huskers are a real dark horse team to me this year. Having said that, my impression is that Frost has failed to build the sort of team cohesiveness champions always seem to have in his first 4 years in Lincoln, and is under huge amounts of pressure this year. Maybe this is his year to mature, and success would make maturation easier. A couple of early losses could snatch away what could be a very good year in Lincoln. I really think beating the Cats is essential to their success this year and Frost’s future. I guess we will see if the pressure is a motivation or a curse during the game in Dublin.

I actually think UNL’s defense turned a corner last year. Erik Chinander has been coordinator for Frost’s tenure in Lincoln, and has pretty methodically upgraded the level of recruits and depth. My take on his approach has been that he wants his players to value aggression over discipline. In the first few years, they seemed to make big mistakes at key points in games (think of the 2018 Cats game with roughing the passer in the the end zone, and a DBack going for an interception rather than breakup, giving up 20 yac). Last year, he seemed to dial the aggression back a bit, and the Huskers appeared more disciplined on the defensive side. Chinander’s game plans have seemed sound to me, and I think their defense will be very good this year. Overall, with the burden of playing/not playing Martinez gone and a talented, experienced transfer in house at QB, the Huskers are a real dark horse team to me this year. Having said that, my impression is that Frost has failed to build the sort of team cohesiveness champions always seem to have in his first 4 years in Lincoln, and is under huge amounts of pressure this year. Maybe this is his year to mature, and success would make maturation easier. A couple of early losses could snatch away what could be a very good year in Lincoln. I really think beating the Cats is essential to their success this year and Frost’s future. I guess we will see if the pressure is a motivation or a curse during the game in Dublin.

Ha. No doubt. If Nebraska doesn't beat Northwestern this season, then I think The team absolutely collapses. I could see Frost being done by October if that happens.

It's a great spot for Northwestern. There is zero pressure on this team and they get to play spoiler. Ironically though, I think the Cats have to beat Nebraska if they want to go bowling.

Nebraska's defense has improved due to recruiting as much as anything. That group had fallen to some of its worst talent pitfalls by the time 2017 and 18 rolled around with two different staffs. Linebacker especially was a joke. They have a top 3 to 4 LB group in the league now.

When you consider the experience they had on the defense coming back along with additions like Tommi Hill from Arizona State, Ochaun Mathis from TCU, and Wynn from Alabama, that group should be pretty salty in 2022.

I like Whipple as an OC but keep in mind he had the best senior QB And one of the best underclassmen receivers in college football available at his disposal last year. He won’t have that kind of talent at Nebraska this year.

I like Whipple as an OC but keep in mind he had the best senior QB And one of the best underclassmen receivers in college football available at his disposal last year. He won’t have that kind of talent at Nebraska this year.
This is interesting about Whipple… “Our old offensive coordinator had no desire to run the ball,” Narduzzi said. “Everybody knew it. He was stubborn.”

Reactions: corbi296
This is interesting about Whipple… “Our old offensive coordinator had no desire to run the ball,” Narduzzi said. “Everybody knew it. He was stubborn.”
Interesting. Whipple’s departure from Pitt this past offseason was awkward. From this quote, it does not seem like there is any love lost between Narduzzi and Whipple. Will be interesting to see how they do apart.

Last edited:
Interesting. Whipple’s departure from Pitt this past offseason was awkward. From this quote, it does not seem like there is any love lost between Narduzzi and Whipple. Will be interesting to see how they do apart.

Narduzzi was pissed off that he took a $500k per year raise at Nebraska. And it's 2 years guaranteed. So even if Frost gets canned and Whipple doesn't have a job for 2023, he will still earn another million that season.

Like many Nebraska vs. Northwestern games, with clearly the exception of 2021, which was ugly, this has often been an interesting series and should be from Dublin. Travel certainly could be a factor.

Date, Location, NW v NEB
  • 10/2/21, Lincoln, NE NW 7 NE 56
  • 11/7/20, Evanston, IL, NW 21, NE 13
  • 10/5/19, Lincoln, NE, NW 10, NE 13
  • 10/13/18, Evanston, NW 34, NE 31
  • 11/4/17, Lincoln, NW 31, NE 24
  • 9/24/16, Evanston, NW 13, NE 24
  • 10/24/2015Lincoln, NW 30, NE 28
  • 10/18/14, Evanston, NW 17, NE 38
  • 11/2/13, Lincoln, NW 24, NE 27
  • 10/20/12, Evanston, NW 28, NE29
  • 11/5/11, Lincoln, NW 28, NE 25

I don't have a lot of confidence going into this game. I usually like to err on the bright side of things, but I'm not seeing much hope for optimism yet for the Cats. Somebody pass me the Purple Koolaid please.
I'll tell you as a Husker fan, we probably have the same confidence level as you. When we get together our games are always nail biters and going across the pond makes it even more of a crap shoot. Here is to a great game and hopefully the Huskers win, but the battle of NU is always a great game. Should be a cool setting for the players.

Casey Thompson named starter at QB. Odds have jumped to -13/-13.5. Mentions 99 and 11 a couple of times.

I'll tell you as a Husker fan, we probably have the same confidence level as you. When we get together our games are always nail biters and going across the pond makes it even more of a crap shoot. Here is to a great game and hopefully the Huskers win, but the battle of NU is always a great game. Should be a cool setting for the players.
For the record we are "Northwestern University" you are "University of Nebraska" so the only "NU" is us. Notably, why do many former and current BIG12 schools hate their names? KU is University of Kansas, CU is University of Colorado, OU is University of Oklahoma & Nebraska? Are you guys ashamed to preface your name with "university"?

For the record we are "Northwestern University" you are "University of Nebraska" so the only "NU" is us. Notably, why do many former and current BIG12 schools hate their names? KU is University of Kansas, CU is University of Colorado, OU is University of Oklahoma & Nebraska? Are you guys ashamed to preface your name with "university"?
Totally backwards part of the country.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Totally backwards part of the country.
Off the top of my head, the only flagship state university I can think of that is not named University of (state) or (state) state university is Indiana. Of course in Ohio, it is Duh Ohio State University.

Which ones am I missing that are like Indiana University?

Off the top of my head, the only flagship state university I can think of that is not named University of (state) or (state) state university is Indiana. Of course in Ohio, it is Duh Ohio State University.

Rutgers University is a different thing entirely, but it’s a thing. (Not even the state itself wants to be associated with New Jersey.)

Nebraska-Omaha has done the thing where it’s rebranded to ‘Omaha’, which is what Milwaukee did (tried to do?) a few decades ago, and the opposite of what Mankato State did, when it began going by Minnesota State-Mankato.

Considering the Omaha thing, however, I think it’s probably easiest if we dispense with the talk of who is the “right” NU, and simply begin referring to the the Cornholers as “Lincoln.”

Last edited:

And Indiana correctly identifies as IU. Heck, even Kentucky gets this right.

Game days less than a week away, and this is what you guys are obsessing about…
smh

• Haha
Reactions: ricko654321

Actually, there's Ohio University (not dOSU) though I guess it's not the flagship university.
There's also NYU

For (State) state there are a ton:

Michigan State
Iowa State
Penn State
Louisiana State
North Carolina State
Kansas State
Florida State
Oklahoma State
Mississippi State
Oregon State
Washington State

I guess it's arguable that any except LSU and Penn State are the "flagship" University in their respective state, but I think it's close for most.

Actually I think all the ones that are (state) State have the U afterwards and not in front. Can't think of one that has it in front, except the SUNY's.

Rutgers University is a different thing entirely, but it’s a thing. (Not even the state itself wants to be associated with New Jersey.)

Nebraska-Omaha has done the thing where it’s rebranded to ‘Omaha’, which is what Milwaukee did (tried to do?) a few decades ago, and the opposite of what Mankato State did, when it began going by Minnesota State-Mankato.

Considering the Omaha thing, however, I think it’s probably easiest if we dispense with the talk of who is the “right” NU, and simply begin referring to the the Cornholers as “Lincoln.”
You guys, we really don't care about this as much as you guys do. Nebraska is called NU, because thats what they have always been called. I purposely call Northwestern NW, because I know it upsets you

• Angry
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
You guys, we really don't care about this as much as you guys do. Nebraska is called NU, because thats what they have always been called. I purposely call Northwestern NW, because I know it upsets you
46318866.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: mountaindrew
Game days less than a week away, and this is what you guys are obsessing about…
smh
What should we be "obsessing" about then? Game film? Play calls? Dude... IT DON"T MATTER. We're fans. We can talk about multiple topics, IT"S NOT GOING TO CHANGE THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME. Whatever, you do what Neb fans do. LOL and SMH

Can anyone enlighten me on why Frost's first 4 seasons have stunk for nebby? He absolutely obliterated the competition at his other school in florida. He turned around a program in like 3 years and many said his team should have played for the nat championship. When i heard nebby was hiring him, I anticipated more mid90s glory days for nebby. But no! They haven't even gone to a bowl like the motor city bowl. So what is the problem? Recruiting the wrong guys? Can't connect with the players/students in lincoln? Was Frost a fluke or fraud at that directional fla school? Did he win because of his assistant coaches in fla? I think overall nebby has taken several steps back with him at the helm. Can't believe they fired pelini and solich! Really hope the cats win in Ireland this year. Hoping last year's blowout was an outlier for our own team's progress.
As we all know, the football landscape has shifted. And players have shifted their expectations. While it may seem a joke, N stands for Nowledge, and that plays into this. Many of the best football players want to go to the very best football program they can. Nebraska is no longer that. And, it is not a school where they can get the best education. NU, for example, along with Duke, Stanford and others offer students a great academic advantage, as well as a great football experience. It is why NU has been more consistently decent, if not darn good in the past two decades (plus Fitz, who realized that). OSU, Alabama, Clemson, LSU maybe, Penn State etc. will continue to attract the excellent players. All the schools down from there will compete for the rest. It is no longer possible to succeed if you cannot attract great athletes also with smarts to your school somwhere out on the prairie, even if your coach appears to be at least competent. Thus, I expect NU to dominate Nebraska on Saturday, even if only by one point.

I expect Nebraska to disappoint again, and win about 5 games, tops. I also expect us to disappoint, and for Nebraska to beat us.

Huskers lead series 6-5, and this is first on neutral site. On average, the eleven games are 28-22 Nebraska.

Date Opponent (record)ResultScoreSite
10/2/2021​
vs.*Northwestern (3-9)W
56​
7​
11/7/2020​
@*Northwestern (7-2)L
13​
21​
10/5/2019​
vs.*Northwestern (3-9)W
13​
10​
10/13/2018​
@*Northwestern (9-5)L
31​
34​
11/4/2017​
vs.*Northwestern (10-3)L
24​
31​
9/24/2016​
@*Northwestern (7-6)W
24​
13​
10/24/2015​
vs.*Northwestern (10-3)L
28​
30​
10/18/2014​
@*Northwestern (5-7)W
38​
17​
11/2/2013​
vs.*Northwestern (5-7)W
27​
24​
10/20/2012​
@*Northwestern (10-3)W
29​
28​
11/5/2011​
vs.*Northwestern (6-7)L
25​
28​

As we all know, the football landscape has shifted. And players have shifted their expectations. While it may seem a joke, N stands for Nowledge, and that plays into this. Many of the best football players want to go to the very best football program they can. Nebraska is no longer that. And, it is not a school where they can get the best education. NU, for example, along with Duke, Stanford and others offer students a great academic advantage, as well as a great football experience. It is why NU has been more consistently decent, if not darn good in the past two decades (plus Fitz, who realized that). OSU, Alabama, Clemson, LSU maybe, Penn State etc. will continue to attract the excellent players. All the schools down from there will compete for the rest. It is no longer possible to succeed if you cannot attract great athletes also with smarts to your school somwhere out on the prairie, even if your coach appears to be at least competent. Thus, I expect NU to dominate Nebraska on Saturday, even if only by one point.
Nebraska is no longer in the elite I agree but for the love of God never put Northwestern in the same breath as Nebraska when talking bout a football program. Just stop.

Nebraska is no longer in the elite I agree but for the love of God never put Northwestern in the same breath as Nebraska when talking bout a football program. Just stop.
The delusion never ceases.

32 wins in the last ten years in conference, for Nebraska. (Actually, it’s 39 conference wins since joining in 2011, so we’ll give you those 39, as that marks the time you joined the B1G to prevent your increasing irrelevance. Easier to compete with fellow corn-feds instead of with Texas and Oklahoma!!)

43 for NU in the last ten years. 46 since you joined the conference.

Oh, but, Lincoln has been to six bowl games since joining the conference, winning two. Oh, but NU has been to seven, winning five.

Hmmm, but the Cornholers have won, from what I can tell, zero division titles since joining the conference. NU has won two.

As far as I can tell, Nebraska leads NU only in total head coaches, with three.

Go back to 1995, when you were last relevant. There’s this new rapper, Tupac, who’s just blowing up in Lincoln.

I bet you’ve got *great* high school football stories to share.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT