ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska doesn't give up

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
Wisconsin handed it to Nebraska at Camp Randal but Nebraska never gave up. NU will have to play with their foot on the pedal all game to win next week. No letting up even if we start with a quick big lead.

Personally I’m not sure there’s a game I want us to win more than next week, even more than Illinois this year. Something about detestable Nebraska Nice mixed with not giving a winless team its first win ...

Their quarterback Martinez can look fantastic or like a freshman let's hope it's the latter

Their WR combo, Spielman and Morgan, are what makes them go. I sure hope we have Hartage and Newsome back and healthy for this game although I thought Ruiz showed some promise as well. If we can contain Spielman/Morgan and limit Martinez's success with his legs, we should be in good shape. We have to find a way to establish a decent running game this week.

Their WR combo, Spielman and Morgan, are what makes them go. I sure hope we have Hartage and Newsome back and healthy for this game although I thought Ruiz showed some promise as well. If we can contain Spielman/Morgan and limit Martinez's success with his legs, we should be in good shape. We have to find a way to establish a decent running game this week.
Ugh. We have to contain a mobile QB and talented wideouts. That sounds promising

Ruiz was right there on the last TD, and was there on punt coverage as well. Looks like a winner.

Ruiz was right there on the last TD, and was there on punt coverage as well. Looks like a winner.

Just a reminder, a different service had him rated the number one cornerback in Illinois his senior year and number eight cornerback in the Midwest. His track and field numbers were very impressive, I think it was long jump and triple jump or something like that.

Ugh. We have to contain a mobile QB and talented wideouts. That sounds promising
Their OL has been one of the worst in the league, so there's that at least. If we keep pressure, their offense collapses pretty quickly.

Their OL has been one of the worst in the league, so there's that at least. If we keep pressure, their offense collapses pretty quickly.
If we contain the QB.

But generally yes we have some guys that can get to the QB. They'd better.

Reactions: zeek55
We're getting Nebraska at a weird point in the season...0-5 gives you a lot of time to get things figured out, including a decision to just go for broke and play like you have nothing to lose. We've played the stooge to Neb a couple of times since they joined the Big Ten...very hopeful next Saturday isn't another one.

We're getting Nebraska at a weird point in the season...0-5 gives you a lot of time to get things figured out, including a decision to just go for broke and play like you have nothing to lose. We've played the stooge to Neb a couple of times since they joined the Big Ten...very hopeful next Saturday isn't another one.
Yeah, we've already given up enough history this year giving Akron a Big Ten win.

But this is clearly the worst Nebraska team I think anybody's seen in our lifetimes. Error prone, undisciplined, defense doesn't tackle well, offensive line doesn't block well.

Fundamentals lacking unlike any Nebraska team I've ever seen. Can they fix that against us? Not if we play like we did the last 2 weeks.

Yeah, we've already given up enough history this year giving Akron a Big Ten win.

But this is clearly the worst Nebraska team I think anybody's seen in our lifetimes. Error prone, undisciplined, defense doesn't tackle well, offensive line doesn't block well.

Fundamentals lacking unlike any Nebraska team I've ever seen. Can they fix that against us? Not if we play like we did the last 2 weeks.
Nebraska fan here. You nailed it on the head. The most undisciplined team in history. The offense is actually starting to come together. The problem is our oline is historically unathletic , and hold on every other play. I dont think I can even count on both hands how many drives have been killed due to a personal foul or holding. It's almost comical.

We have 3 players to watch for the future. QB Martinez true freshman. Wr Spielman Sophomore Wr. And Washington True freshman running back. Kid is a future all American if we can hold onto him. We only got him due to academic issues that he skated by with.

Anyways yeah we are bad it's going to take a lot of development and roster flipping. Mike Riley let the players run the team. Frost doesnt have an inch that he nudges. His way or the highway. UCF lost 20 players his first season. We are approaching that amount. Including two 4 stars last week. Wr and juco running back. Long ways to go but I'm confident we will get a competitive team back on the field soon

Nebraska fan here. You nailed it on the head. The most undisciplined team in history. The offense is actually starting to come together. The problem is our oline is historically unathletic , and hold on every other play. I dont think I can even count on both hands how many drives have been killed due to a personal foul or holding. It's almost comical.

We have 3 players to watch for the future. QB Martinez true freshman. Wr Spielman Sophomore Wr. And Washington True freshman running back. Kid is a future all American if we can hold onto him. We only got him due to academic issues that he skated by with.

Anyways yeah we are bad it's going to take a lot of development and roster flipping. Mike Riley let the players run the team. Frost doesnt have an inch that he nudges. His way or the highway. UCF lost 20 players his first season. We are approaching that amount. Including two 4 stars last week. Wr and juco running back. Long ways to go but I'm confident we will get a competitive team back on the field soon

Nebby has nothing to lose. They probably will be able to generate some offense, especially with Spielman. We can’t let Martinez loose. On Defense, Nebby looks very subpar. NU doesn’t make mistakes they should roll against the defense. NU has to be able to run against the Nebby D or it will be a long second half of the season.

Nebby has nothing to lose. They probably will be able to generate some offense, especially with Spielman. We can’t let Martinez loose. On Defense, Nebby looks very subpar. NU doesn’t make mistakes they should roll against the defense. NU has to be able to run against the Nebby D or it will be a long second half of the season.

People are torn on our defense. We dont have the players needed for the system but the system takes a lot of risks which lead to big plays. It still comes down to being a bad team though. Very few upperclassman seem to care anymore. A culture of losing and they just seem to want out. As evidence by losing half a team to transfers and retiring from football. We shouldn't be winless but we found a way to do it. I just want progress. And for the first time we showed it yesterday. Long long road ahead

Yeah, I'm a believer in Scott Frost. Watched him closely at UCF, and I know he'll have Nebraska back within a couple of years.

Biggest problem to me seems to be Riley didn't recruit good fits for the Big Ten and the players he did recruit wanted a soft, mildmannered coach... which Frost obviously is not.

Next 2 years Nebraska will improve massively.

That's why for us, we have to get a W in a transition year like this while Frost is cleaning house.

People are torn on our defense. We dont have the players needed for the system but the system takes a lot of risks which lead to big plays. It still comes down to being a bad team though. Very few upperclassman seem to care anymore. A culture of losing and they just seem to want out. As evidence by losing half a team to transfers and retiring from football. We shouldn't be winless but we found a way to do it. I just want progress. And for the first time we showed it yesterday. Long long road ahead
Little doubt in my mind Frost was the correct hire. Hard to tell if you don’t follow them closely if they quit or just aren’t very good. I think some of the full frontal attacks on his players would be better if conducted behind close doors, but what do I know. His style might be causing some of the quitting. Hearing how great his team in the 90’s was and then how crappy they are can’t be a great motivational tactic. There is some talent on this team, they shouldn’t be this bad.

I like Scott Frost! U got to crawl before u walk!

This. Martinez has already been injured this season, and has had to run for his life. A lot.

He is running for his life, but he is also making tons of plays. This will be a fun game I think, as it is always a dogfight between the two teams. If Nebraska can finally get a game where they don't make so many mistakes, it will make the game much more entertaining. With that said, I doubt it happens because we haven't been close to it all year. We are going to put up a ton of yards, but will probably be hamstrung by dumb penalties resulting is an L.

This. Martinez has already been injured this season, and has had to run for his life. A lot.
Actually the reason Martinez got hurt was because a Colorado player twisted his knee until it popped at the bottom of the pile. (Video is online and if you find the one with the right angle its pretty disgusting as a football fan to watch.) Martinez actually hasnt been put in many bad situations by scheme. Kid is a 5 star talent. We just need to develop on Oline that can move the way a fast paced offense needs it to. Pulling, getting up to the line quickly for fast scoring series. ETC.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Actually the reason Martinez got hurt was because a Colorado player twisted his knee until it popped at the bottom of the pile. (Video is online and if you find the one with the right angle its pretty disgusting as a football fan to watch.) Martinez actually hasnt been put in many bad situations by scheme. Kid is a 5 star talent. We just need to develop on Oline that can move the way a fast paced offense needs it to. Pulling, getting up to the line quickly for fast scoring series. ETC.
So if he hasn't been put in bad situations by scheme, what is the cause of hin running for his life so many times? And. though I like Nebby's chances in fhus game, I think playing uptempto vs us would be a mistake,, as we rotate so many lineman into the game that it is hard to wear pur defense down; it also leaves your D on the field longer...

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
So if he hasn't been put in bad situations by scheme, what is the cause of hin running for his life so many times? And. though I like Nebby's chances in fhus game, I think playing uptempto vs us would be a mistake,, as we rotate so many lineman into the game that it is hard to wear pur defense down; it also leaves your D on the field longer...
The scheme isnt the issue though, Frosts past QBs very rarely take hits because they are designed to get rid of the ball quickly. The issue is the Oline talent just being bad. This scheme is designed to not have to block as long and getting up to the second level. Michigan killed Martinez, but the other 4 games he wasnt actually hit as much as you would think.

We cant play up-tempo because we have immobile, slow Olineman. His scheme right now is tailored to not being able to pull or run up tempo which isnt ideal for what hes use to doing.

Reactions: Noah121
The scheme isnt the issue though, Frosts past QBs very rarely take hits because they are designed to get rid of the ball quickly. The issue is the Oline talent just being bad. This scheme is designed to not have to block as long and getting up to the second level. Michigan killed Martinez, but the other 4 games he wasnt actually hit as much as you would think.

We cant play up-tempo because we have immobile, slow Olineman. His scheme right now is tailored to not being able to pull or run up tempo which isnt ideal for what hes use to doing.

Makes sense, thanks for the post!

Reactions: Noah121
Badgers beat up their defense pretty good, they were gassed by the end on defense, Badgers dropped three easy INTS, Cats should have no problem here, though you've had some tough games recently too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT