ADVERTISEMENT

Worried about Nebraska

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Nebraska has a similar record to Northwestern, a head-to-head win, and now wins over Purdue and Wisconsin. We've got them next week and they're riding high. Let's make sure to defend our homecourt.

Also, after last night's foul-fest, I was shocked to see they were only called for two fouls in the first 19 minutes of the second half. These are Big 10 refs, right?

I worry about every game, but the Huskers are 0-5 on the road in conference, 6-0 at home with wins over Purdue, Wisconsin and the Cats. All but one road loss (Rutgers) have been double digit. This game, Wisconsin had an 18 point lead late in the first half and fell asleep in the second. It was Wisconsin’s first road game against a top five team in conference this year (Purdue has had two, Cats four, Illinois two, Nebraska one, all losses). Had the Cats won last night, it would have been the first road win by a conference top five team at a conference top five team this year.
Needless to say, winning on the road in the B1G is tough this year.

Last edited:
I guess we root for Nebraska to get that road win against Illinois, not just because it's nice to see Illinois lose, but it means maybe Nebraska is ranked when they come to Evanston next week. We do NOT root for Nebraska to get that road win in Evanston though.

I do too, but I was talking about worried that they will take Northwestern's place in the standings/tourney, and I'd like for Northwestern to put those thoughts to rest.

I guess we root for Nebraska to get that road win against Illinois, not just because it's nice to see Illinois lose, but it means maybe Nebraska is ranked when they come to Evanston next week. We do NOT root for Nebraska to get that road win in Evanston though.
We should root against Nebraska, as it may come down to us and them for 4th in conference, and the top 4 get critical double-bye in conference tourney. Of course, as I say that, MSU will probably do its usual thing and come on strong in second half of season, so we may be competing with MSU and not Nebraska for that 4th spot.

In another note, am bummed we don’t get to play Wiscy at home this season.

Nebraska has a similar record to Northwestern, a head-to-head win, and now wins over Purdue and Wisconsin. We've got them next week and they're riding high. Let's make sure to defend our homecourt.

Also, after last night's foul-fest, I was shocked to see they were only called for two fouls in the first 19 minutes of the second half. These are Big 10 refs, right?
Wait a minute now, this board isn’t over being worried about Minnesota yet!

Reactions: EagerFan
Sure, they beat 4 of the 5 top teams at home. But, if you want reasons to not be worried, here's their scores on the road:

@ MN - L 76-55
@ WI - L 88-72
@ IA - L 94-76
@ RU - L 87-82
@ MD - L 73-51

Only game that came down to the wire was at, worst team in the B1G, Rutgers.

Last edited:
Nebraska has the largest difference in performance between home and road in the conference, and 8th overall among the P6 plus MWC conferences. OSU is right behind them at 9th overall. The Gophers are 24th in differential and 5th in conference.

Edit: When it comes to actual wins, Nebraska has the biggest differential of any P6+MWC team in the country between good wins at home vs on the road. NU is 9th in the country and 2nd in conference. The Gophers are actually worse at home then on the road when it comes to beating good teams, largely due to losing to Mizzou at home.

Last edited:
Problem with rooting against Nebraska over Illinois is that Illinois is only a game ahead of us for third. I rather see Illinois lose and have Neb lose all other road games.

But we have to beat Minny first. No road game is a given and we need the road win for our record and for momentum going into next week. So, I have no worries about Neb. Actually I’m not worried about any of our games. I think the team has shown resiliency and a mental toughness these past few weeks. We just need to play our game and we will be fine.

We should root against Nebraska, as it may come down to us and them for 4th in conference, and the top 4 get critical double-bye in conference tourney. Of course, as I say that, MSU will probably do its usual thing and come on strong in second half of season, so we may be competing with MSU and not Nebraska for that 4th spot.

In another note, am bummed we don’t get to play Wiscy at home this season.
Choose your own adventure: https://bball.notnothing.net/big10.php?sport=mbb

After playing around a bit, unless Nebraska learns how to win road games, we aren't going to need to worry about them. It'll be MSU and Maryland that we need to worry about, but as long as we go 6-4 or better, we should be in good shape for a top-4 double bye.

Last edited:
Quite a statement from UNL. That HC Hoiberg has some skills to bring the team back from a 16 point deficit at the half. Just like NU, they're tough at home. Just like NU they've shown how good they can be. Should be another hell of a game at WR.

And another coming Saturday against Minny. I know where you'll be.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT